Items in movement

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Items that are used in Movement phase, do I need to use them at the beginning of my movement or I can also use them at the end of the movement?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I've never seen anything prohibiting you from using them at the beginning or end.  Often, I've used Tomes at the beginning of the Movement Phase, especially in a Street Area or a Location in which I might gain something useful to use against a particular Monster blocking my path.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Musha Shukou

Musha Shukou

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

That is correct. Just because the phase is called the Movement Phase, it is not defined by moving your investigator. Instead, it consists of several different things, all of which can happen in any order (with a few exceptions).  You may use any items, including spells, that are used in the movement phase, you may move your investigator to another space in Arkham (or to the next area in an OW), you evade/fight monsters, you pick up clue tokens (if you ended your movement in a space that contains them), you stand your token up if you were delayed, you may trade items and money with another investigator in your space, etc.  All of those things can happen during the movement phase, and, for the most part, are not restricted by any sort of order.

#4 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

thanks for the reply avergonzado_alegre

#5 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Just remember that when Combat is over (whether you fail or succeed), your Movement Phase is over even if you still have Movement points left.  So, if you have Tomes that you want to read, you may want to read them before engaging a monster.

#6 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Is it kosher to move into a space with a monster, read a tome, and then engage (evade/fight) the monster?

Likewise, can a player move into a space occupied by a monster and another investigator, trade with that investigator, then engage the monster?

If I move to a space containing a monster, can I cast Call Friend before fighting/evading? If I can and do, which one of us has to deal with the thing first?

#7 Manishtusu

Manishtusu

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

You only have to fight a monster if you end your movement phase in an area that contains a monster or attempt to leave one. So your movement phase does not end immediately upon entering the area and thus you can read tomes, or cast movement phase spells (such as call friend). After the fight, your movement phase does not end as it is, so you can still use movement phase spells, but may not read tomes (because you lose all movement points). You can also trade before (and after) combat of course, but your friend cannot clear the way for you, since it's still your turn in the movement phase. 

An example: character A with 4 movement points moves move 2 spaces to a street location with a monster on it, reads a Tome, casts Call Friend on character B, takes his/her shotgun and blasts the creature to pieces, then gives back the weapon. It's all doable.

#8 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

Manishtusu said:

You only have to fight a monster if you end your movement phase in an area that contains a monster or attempt to leave one.

Actually, when you end your movement in an area that contains a monster, you must deal with that monster.  (pg. 6 Arkham Horror Rulebook)

So, you cannot enter an area with a monster and read a tome.  You must evade or fight that monster.  However, if you successfully evade that monster, you can finish your movement and read a tome.

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Gamemaster said:

Actually, when you end your movement in an area that contains a monster, you must deal with that monster.  (pg. 6 Arkham Horror Rulebook)

So, you cannot enter an area with a monster and read a tome.  You must evade or fight that monster.  However, if you successfully evade that monster, you can finish your movement and read a tome.

Incorrect. You're not ending your movement if you read a tome. It could result in you ending your movement if the tome uses up your remaining movement points. But enter, read, then try to evade is legit.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks, Dam ~ that's what I thought…entering a location/space with a Monster and ending your movement are two very different things.  My favorite one of all time had an Investigator, armed only with a .45 Automatic, enter a street space with both a Mi-Go and a Gug.  I had enough Movement Points, thanks to my trusty Motorcycle, to read a Tome which gave me an Ally, Tom "Mountain" Murphy ~ we obliterated the Mi-Go, which yielded an Enchanted Blade and then it's "Hello, Mr. Gug!…Good bye, Mr. Gug!" 

The Professor

#11 Gamemaster

Gamemaster

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Got it.  Ending your movement is different from just entering an area with a monster.  The point to remember though (and that many players mistaken) is that your remaining movement points disappear once you enter combat (or fail an evade check) with a monster.     …  I always had made it a habit in my games to read tomes before moving in case I failed an evade check later.

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Gamemaster,

With over 5,000 little rules in the game, that's an excellent idea, especially for newcomers to the Carnival.

Cheers,

Joe/the Professor

The Professor

#13 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Gamemaster said:

Got it.  Ending your movement is different from just entering an area with a monster.

That's very true. Especially if you start your movement in an area with a monster :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS