Profit Factor for Star Charts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stevetassie

Stevetassie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

In the Navis Primer it states that any time a Navigator successfully charts a new stable route his profit factor goes up by one. Does that mean the whole group's PF or just the Navigator's? If just the Navigator's, does that mean players are supposed to be tracking their own individual PF?

#2 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

Actually, what it says is that the "Explorers’ [plural possessive] Profit Factor increases…". So yes, it's the whole group, and PCs do not have individual PFs.

(I don't think it's a good rule though. Just flying from system to system can make the PCs very wealthy in a short amount of [real world] time. And what if the Navigator character dies or is replaced? And how much PF can one Navigator House really "provide" just from their high regard?!)

#3 eBarbarossa

eBarbarossa

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

I guess the reasoning behind thsi is that the Explorers will sell the charted route to other interests. One or more Navigator Houses, the Navy, other Rogue Traders. So it doesn't matter if the actual Navigator leaves the group as the starchart might already be sold.

And yes, just flying around could make you very rich indeed. But that only works if you fly into uncharted territories and only if you can chart a stable route that STAYS STABLE. Which might be harder than you think.

#4 Iku Rex

Iku Rex

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

eBarbarossa said:

I guess the reasoning behind thsi is that the Explorers will sell the charted route to other interests. One or more Navigator Houses, the Navy, other Rogue Traders. So it doesn't matter if the actual Navigator leaves the group as the starchart might already be sold.

The reason for the PF increase: "A Navigator is duty-bound to present a new chart to his House, and providing his House with such valuable knowledge grants him considerable prestige. The Explorers’ Profit Factor increases by 1, plus an extra 1 for every full 180 days duration of passage of the journey that the Navigator charted." (page 34)

I suppose you could say all Rogue Traders force their navigators to hand over the charts to be sold on the open market. But that's not how it works according to the Navis Primer. "[Navigator Houses] jealously guard the knowledge of safe Warp routes from each other. … Each House’s reputation is dependent on the Warp charts it has recorded and amassed over millennia and each House protects these charts from their rivals." (page 41)

Also, presumably a route is uncharted or not based on the navigator's own warp chart collection. So the important factor is if the navigator's House has already charted the route, not if some navigator, at some point in the past, has charted the route.

eBarbarossa said:

And yes, just flying around could make you very rich indeed. But that only works if you fly into uncharted territories and only if you can chart a stable route that STAYS STABLE. Which might be harder than you think.

I think 90% of routes stay stable enough to be charted, as per the table on page 27. The GM can of course simply declare that "this route can't be charted, lol, suckers, no PF for you!!!!!" but if that's necessary it is in itself a sign that the reward is too high.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS