Has this game become something more?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Demonknights

Demonknights

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

Ok we all know that FF make some great of the shelf games, but has this become more then just another of the shelf game. Talisman has a massive following, its got to be there most massive game they have produced, but i get this feeling that this game is become massive. what do you think?

#2 Manchine

Manchine

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Until just recently I use to play Heroclix.  I have played that game since the start.  I finally said I am done with it.  My budget went from Heroclix to now Star War Xwing.  I know at least 3 other people (I know 2 people that play) that want to get it but haven't yet because the Game Store can't get any more.  I still want to get some Tie Interceptors but I don't want to pay $30  LOL.

Needless to say if no one is able to buy them from the games stores.  I would say thats a success and it could be a huge win for FF.  I know Wizkids bought the system off FF so they could make there own Star Trek game with this system.

http://wizkidsgames....ek-attack-wing/

#3 Demonknights

Demonknights

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yes i agree the system is very univesal and can be applied to most subjects, the starTrek game from WK has also caught my eye aswell but Starwars has become my staple at the the mo i cant see myself comming away from it, i just hope FF continue too produce, there are 100s of ships that can be produced not just the ones seen on the films but the novels aswell.

#4 Stryker359

Stryker359

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

For me, it's almost become an obsession…trying to think of new painting or conversion projects (TIE Avengers, possibly Defenders next) and writing a 400pt Campaign based on the X-Wing books.

If I don't get my weekly game in, I get a little mopey :P

#5 Ignatz Mouse

Ignatz Mouse

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

I still play Heroclix but this game is grabbing me like very few do.  Seems like it's grabbing on at the local store, too.

I played Wings of War and liked it quite a bit, but found it a bit random and simplistic.  X-Wing takes the core idea and addresses those issues. There's huge potential here.

#6 spacemonkeymafia

spacemonkeymafia

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ignatz Mouse said:

I still play Heroclix but this game is grabbing me like very few do.  Seems like it's grabbing on at the local store, too.

I played Wings of War and liked it quite a bit, but found it a bit random and simplistic.  X-Wing takes the core idea and addresses those issues. There's huge potential here.

Honestly, if wings of war had a meta, squad building, and a comparable level of pilot customization, I would have obsessed about it too. I did enjoy the game quite a bit and bought into it pretty well, X-wing hits all the aspects of gaming that I enjoy. Putting it into an IP that I like kicks the obsession into overdrive.

Ive been seeing more and more groups forming in my area (or rather south of my area…) and so I definitely see the game launching into a new growth phase. At its heart, it's still a tabletop minis game so it has some fierce store space competition but I don't mind seeing this thing grow bigger and bigger.

#7 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Our FLGS got a rather large allocation of wave 2 stuff, and most of it has sold out. The usual online places are pretty much sold out of the small ships as well. There are A LOT of people buying into this game. Wizkids licensing the movement engine for a Star Trek version shows that they recognize a hit and want to cash in on it. I think it HAS become "something more" than what FFG originally thought. I hope they can sustain it.

#8 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

spacemonkeymafia said:

Ignatz Mouse said:

Honestly, if wings of war had a meta, squad building, and a comparable level of pilot customization, I would have obsessed about it too. I did enjoy the game quite a bit and bought into it pretty well, X-wing hits all the aspects of gaming that I enjoy. Putting it into an IP that I like kicks the obsession into overdrive.

Ive been seeing more and more groups forming in my area (or rather south of my area…) and so I definitely see the game launching into a new growth phase. At its heart, it's still a tabletop minis game so it has some fierce store space competition but I don't mind seeing this thing grow bigger and bigger.

i jumped from wings of war ww1 into x-wing. the systems r quite similar actually. the biggest difference  is the cosomizability x-wing has with pilots/upgrades and the use of head-to-head tournamnet rules… something wings of war never had was tournament play… actualy most people i knew that were really into wings of war played slightly different variations of the rules and used the odd house rule… wings of war is still a gr8 game and i love how you can easily play it with 10 or more pilots without too much difficulty… x-wing just has better replayability all-round. i do find that my time playing wings of war has helped me in games of x-wing as the manouering and predicting what ur opponent might do is similar… id go as far to say that players who have a good background with wings of war actually have a slight edge over newer x-wing players although this has probably been lost already as players put in time playing and specializing flying certain ships :)

x-wing has by far the larger appeal to the general gamer. its theme sells itself and younger players can relate to it equally well as oldies like me who were raised on the original trilogy. x-wing is the new kid on the block for tabletop games. im sure its here to stay for quite some time and its numbers of fans are only going up :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#9 Demonknights

Demonknights

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

With regards to playing i find that my win to loss is much higher partly due to doing something least exspected first i put myself in the other players shoes then i think what i would do then i react with something totaly out of the norm, sometimes use a bait ship or ill maouver my ships into positions that seem uselss but throw there tactics into chaos.

#10 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

I come from the more classic tabletop games like Warhammer 40k.

Then i started to play Aeronautica imperialis, being a huge plane fan and RC pilot. Aeronautica was a very good game, the rules were simple but the game pretty complex as you played in a real 3D box with 9 height levels You had to compensate not only for the enemys directional changes but also for his height gainsand losses. As i said it was a brillant game but there were not enough customers for it so it just got discontinued. It also had one major flaw. The order of moving/shooting was in my eyes broken because it was an alternating turn order and especially while moving hordes of cheaper ships were at an advantage because they could in some sort compensate their manoeuvers while the few ships had already moved.

X-Wing lost the more complicated 3D stuff of Aeronautica and brillantly adressed the activation order through the pilot skill value. This way the usuall cheaper and more numerous initiative 1 ships are kept at a disadvantage especially in the shooting phase

X-Wing is at the moment my most played and easily favorite Tabletop game. I will take a look at Wizkids Star trek game, but i think those will rather be larger ships, and i like the fighter level skirmishes of X-Wing far more! If FFG keeps the good work up i will stay with X-Wing for a long time!

#11 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Demonknights said:

Ok we all know that FF make some great of the shelf games, but has this become more then just another of the shelf game. Talisman has a massive following, its got to be there most massive game they have produced, but i get this feeling that this game is become massive. what do you think?

I agree with what Manchine said up there- the fact that this game has been plagued with inventory shortages since nearly the very beginning is a pretty good indicator that it's far exceeding what FFG thought in regard to sales and popularity. 

I love the game, obviously. The basic rules are simple, but there is a ton of strategic depth. There are only four ships per side, but there are sooo many ways to customize them and find ways to have them work together. It's nice that it has alternating turns so one person isn't sitting on his hands for 45 minutes doing nothing, and I like that I don't necessarily have to play it in a game store or spend hours or hundreds of dollars constructing a suitable play area for the game. I also dig the fact that I don't have to spend 4-6 hours to get one game in, factoring in setup and play time. 

Oh, and the least important part of X-Wing Miniatures? You know, the actual models? Really nice looking, and nicely sized. Not too big, not too small. 

I really think FFG just managed to hit nearly every target with this game. I still know people who have no interest in playing it, but I don't think I've met anyone who once they started playing it wanted to quit. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't run across any of them. 

#12 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have only played this game twice because of the availability of other players in my area and schedule conflicts but I’m still addicted to it. I guess I’m more of a collector right now, a collector that plays with his collection. This brings to mind the collection aspect of this game. The ships are so well done and all in scale with each other you can’t help but to love them. This has opened up another hobby for me, making 1/270 scale models of larger STAR WARS ships. Even though I know some of them will be too big to use in game play. THANKS Fantasy Flight!!

#13 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Former heroclix player as well.  Saw this game at the LCS and was interested.  The fact that someone is making a Trek version really got me interested and I had to pick some up. 

If your still looking for wave 2 check these out:

http://gifts.barnesa...5376?x=21212503

http://gifts.barnesa...5383?x=24212503

they have gone up a buck since I ordered, but still more reasonable then Evilbay.

#14 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm super stoked that this game is doing so well. I think a large percentage of the people who buy the minis are doing so as collectors, but if the sales  mean the continuation and expansion of the line, all the better I say!

I for one love this game. I feel some of the early design was a bit rushed, but I have high hopes going forward.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS