unopposed win?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NerdRulez

NerdRulez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Ok, lets say I'm in the conflict phase. I have 2 attackers engaged and my opponent has no defenders engaged. Ok, now lets say I win the edge battle. If the opponent still has unit cards in the play area that are "not engaged" is it still considered an unopposed win?

#2 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

NerdRulez said:

Ok, lets say I'm in the conflict phase. I have 2 attackers engaged and my opponent has no defenders engaged. Ok, now lets say I win the edge battle. If the opponent still has unit cards in the play area that are "not engaged" is it still considered an unopposed win?

Yes, because there are no defenders.

#3 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

To be more specific, if, at the end of the engagement of a specific objective, after all participating units (on both sides) have focused to strike, if there are no more defenders left alive in the engagement, it is considered unopposed, and you get the extra damage.

So, you could engage your opponent's objective, and they could defend it with two units.  If you manage to destroy those units during the engagement, then it will be unopposed when you resolve that particular conflict.

This doesn't apply if you, for instance, used Tactics icons to focus out the defenders.

It doesn't matter how many units they have on the table.

#4 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yeah

It is definitely important to understand how opposed and unopposed work. A simple example should hopefully make the answer to your question crystal clear:

Setup - Each player has 3 ready units. A ready unit is one that has no focus tokens on it.

During the conflict phase the first player engages an objective with 2 of their three units. Their opponent defends with one of their units. The attacker loses the edge, but is able to eliminate the defender's sole defender of that objective. After all units in the engagement against this objective, a check is made. If the defender has no units in the fight (even if they were eliminated during the conflict) the conflict is considered unopposed, and an additional damage is dealt to the objective.

The first player choses to engage a second objective and the opponent chooses to not defend at all. The attacker automatically wins the edge battle (each player must have a unit in the fight at the beginning of the edge battle to play cards on the edge stack). The attacker resolves the strike of their sole unit, focusing it in the process. Again, like in the first engagement, because there are no defending units remaining in the engagement, an unopposed damage bonus is assessed the engaged objective.

If in the second engagement the defending player had brought both of their units to the fight as defenders, unopposed damage would only be assessed if the first player were able to eliminate both of the defenders in that engagement. If the defender was able to eliminate the aggressor, then they continue to focus their units and resolve strikes until all are exhausted.

Hope that helps. 

Welcome to the machine!

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

One addition to the previous explanations and examples: not only must there not be any defending units participating in the engagement, but there also must be at least one attacking unit surviving to get the unopposed bonus.

#6 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

and to further elaborate-if they declare no defenders you win the edge  battle automatcally, but can still play cards if you want  (p18)

#7 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

just Logan said:

and to further elaborate-if they declare no defenders you win the edge  battle automatcally, but can still play cards if you want  (p18)

Yes, this is also great to keep in mind, especially if you've got a hand of cards you need to dump in a hurry to draw into something key.

#8 NerdRulez

NerdRulez

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks. I get it. You guys are big help.  : )

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS