Prequel info in future corebooks

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

It appears that Fantasy Flight is making a strong effort not to incorporate any information from the prequels.   My question to everyone is:  Do you want to see any prequel information incorporated into the future releases of this RPG (classes, species, weapons, ships etc)?  I for one do not,  as it just brings up bad memories lol.  Justed wanted to get an idea on what the overall concensus is.  Thanks!

#2 Jeffrywith1e

Jeffrywith1e

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm ok with the prequels. A couple of things helped in that regard- the novelization of Episode III and the Clone Wars series.

Since it is part of the universe, I'd like to see prequel races and droids, etc in the game. That being said, there is at least one image of a prequel species in the Beginner Game artwork. Look at page 31 of the Adventure Book (if you have it). There's a Kel Dor smuggler or something. I'm pretty sure Plo Koon was the first one of those we ever saw. From what I've seen, that is the ONLY prequel reference.

#3 Genghis12

Genghis12

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I absolutely want them to do a sourcebook on the Prequel Trilogy era, but absolutely don't want a rehash of straight movie adaptations and/or earlier material.  Do the big characters, that's a must have for any game system.  But, there's so much more material they can cover, primarily the Clone Wars cartoons, Dark Horse and Scholastic stuff, as well as the novels and still do a "PT Era Sourcebook" justice that'll be worth its price.

If we're talking doing up a PT Movie Sourcebook that covers every random Gungan and Naboo who appeared in film then I'm apt to not get it.

If they give us entire chapters on the major characters, covering Thanatos, Granta Omega, Tahl, Bruck Chun, Siri Tachi, Jenna Zan Arbor.  Asajj Ventris and Nightsisters.  Give us Aayla Secura, Ylenic It'kla, Nejaa Halcyon.  Give us BorgMaul,

And if they give us in-depth planetary stats for the other important PT-era planets like Mandalore, Bandomeer, Telos, Phindar and of course Dathomir.  Give us minor story hooks for Melida,

Don't just rehash the Jedi Order, give us an important era-significant focus like the Agriculture Corps.  Give us faction information on the Bartokk Assassins.  Give us real meat-and-potatoes on the Separatists -- fleet and force sizes, orders of battle.  Give us in-depth detailed information on the Nightsisters.

Now THAT's a book I'd be first in line for.

#4 Bertolac

Bertolac

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's not just EotE. In X-Wing and what I've seen of the Card Game there is little acknowledgement of either the prequels or the EU from outside of the timeframe of the original trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the FFG license is restricted in some way.

#5 Dairian

Dairian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

The prequles of lucas are a foul heresy, and will NEVER be cannon, no matter WHAT the heathens say!

#6 Fiddleback

Fiddleback

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

I can not even begin to imagine the uproar that would have occured if they'd started with Phantom Menace Era.

Freelance Editor and Writer  (Ed: Rogue Trader: Faith and CoinStar Wars: Age of Rebellion Beta and Core) - Contributor of the Skill Monkey segments to The Order 66 Podcast - Bon Vivant and gadabout town. www.MadAdventurers.com

#7 ErikB

ErikB

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

I keep imagining someone at Disney saying 'we did not pay four billion dollars for the rights to The Phantom Menace'.

I think the prequels have been taken outside and shot.

This is a good thing. Someone had to do it.

If you want a picture of the Empire, imagine a jackboot stamping on a beings face - forever.

#8 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Disney sucks.  I was teen for E4-6 and loved them plenty…loved the world visualization of E1-3 as well.  And the Clone Wars beats them all, especially the last two seasons.  Just when it was getting great, they killed it.  No accounting for taste.

#9 Genghis12

Genghis12

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh, I will literally bust out laughing come 2015 when I see how the kids of TPM are now 21-27 year-olds and rail about how Disney "molested" their childhood of their beloved Jar Jar Binks.

Or better yet, imagine the irony even a little further down the road when five-year-olds in 2015 who see the first Disney sequels as their first Star Wars experience rail about how this old, beared guy -- whoever the hell he thinks he is -- somehow "returned" to Star Wars come 2022 or so and is "molesting" the childhood of their Disney dreams.

#10 GMSam

GMSam

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Kager said:

It appears that Fantasy Flight is making a strong effort not to incorporate any information from the prequels.   My question to everyone is:  Do you want to see any prequel information incorporated into the future releases of this RPG (classes, species, weapons, ships etc)?  I for one do not,  as it just brings up bad memories lol.  Justed wanted to get an idea on what the overall concensus is.  Thanks!

The Rebellion Era is by far my favorite (in the movies and this RPG) but a sourcebook down the road after the current three books are finished would be full of fun options.

#11 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

Love the nerdrage.

As the game releases I imagine we will see further supplements, maybe even focusing on other eras or possibly different aspects like the Mandalorians or alternate Force traditions. As much as these current core books are focused around the original trilogy, they will be a toolbox that can be used to run games set at just about any time. We resources like wookieepedia, we tend not to need too much fluff.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#12 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

Kager said:

Well, to be far, there's not much prequel material that really has an impact on the Rebellion Era, which is where FFG has deliberately set the initial corebooks of their RPG line.

The Clone Troopers that made up the GAR are pretty much old men if you accept that the "accelerated aging" process wasn't switched off once the troopers hit maturity.  The starships and vehicles used by the GAR have been pushed aside to make way for the more standarized designs used by the Galactic Empire.

Gungans probably went back to their more isolationist ways in light of Palpatine's unspoken endorsement of "Human High Culture."

The Separatists had their main leadership executed, and the various elements that comprised the Seps' army was dismantled nearly two decades before the events of A New Hope.

The Jedi Knights, former guardians of peace and justice of the Republic, have been hunted to the brink of extinction, so they're really not an element of the setting.

The weapons of the Clone Wars era can still show up in an EotE game, but more as descriptive fluff elements since the main book doesn't use specific weapon models but rather generic labels.

You might see some of the older civilian ship models from the prequel era still flying about.  Heck, the YT-1300 itself predates the Clone Wars, given it had a "blink and you might miss it" appearance in Revenge of the Sith.

Truth is that most beings, particularly those living on the edge, have more pressing concerns than old history or a war that happened while most of them were very young.  So anything from the Clone Wars would be more of a curious oddity and probably seen as "behind the times," even if in game mechanics it functions as well as a more "modern" equivalent.

As for prequel information in the RPG line down the road… I'm not adverse to seeing any of that at all, and in fact would welcome some elements of it showing up, such as Zabraks as a playable species, or few of the transport ship designs.  Of any of the EU, the prequel stuff is probably the safest in regards to the new movies, since those are going to be set after Return of the Jedi.  Particularly now that Clone Wars has come to an end, so any further EU material in that era is going to come from books and comics, which probably won't be making the kind of sweeping changes that the CGI series did.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

I'm not a prequel-hater; my only main problem with those films is the wooden acting, and an RPG sourcebook obviously won't have any of that! burla

I'd buy a standalone Prequel-era sourcebook. I enjoyed the production design of those films, and I liked the cartoon quite a lot. And honestly, spending an evening or two mowing down swaths of battle droids sounds like a bit of goofy fun.

That said, if FFG have got their heads on straight, they're waiting like hungry dogs for any sequel info from LFL/Disney, so that they can get to work and give us an Episode VII Sourcebook day-and-date with the new film (or at least around Christmas of that same year…)

#14 Hishgraphics

Hishgraphics

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

It's the same universe. Sure the movies had questionable creative decisions, but the movies aren't just all midiclorians and Jar Jar.

There are tons of aliens, locations, critters, droids and gear I would (and have) mined for D6 games even if there aren't any official D6 material where I've had a party throw a grenade into an acklay's mouth to take it out in battle, for example.

I'd love to have EotE stats for an acklay, or a Gozanti cruiser, or to play a Besalisk or a Nosaurian . Stuff you can use at the edge of the Galactic Empire as it says on the tin.

Actually, what I want more than a Prequel Trilogy Sourcebook is a The Clone Wars Sourcebook. Much more planets, vehicles and gear there that are ripe for roleplaying use at the fringe of the Empire.? You could easily find stolen civilian-repurposed battle droids like we've seen several times on The Clone Wars, or a pirate group using a Pelta-class frigate as a base.

But I can see all the stuff pop up as a supplement to the next book, Age of Rebellion, IIRC, the war-themed core rule book?

#15 Limelizard1

Limelizard1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I prefer to play Jedi characters and my favorite eras are Dawn of the Jedi, Knights of the old Republic, and Legacy. I'd love to see books for these. Wouldn't mind seeing one for The Old Republic.

#16 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ditto on the Old Republic the only use I would have for a prequel or clone wars book would be to run a complete rewrite of events since midichlorians was the least offensive of the mistakes made back then and the clone wars… well I'd rerun the events of the animated series using a different pair of Jedi since they should have been too busy to even be involved as the main stars!

Oh I'd keep Ahsoka, that and Rex were the better parts of that series actually have a fondness for the opening movie but seriously it needs a rethink at least the Samurai Jack version was worth the price and rewatching it as often as I need to since thats what I think of when someone says Clone Wars!

KOTOR especially the mmo brought to this system would be really good but I hope they try and bring the Dark Horse legacy series into the fold, now thats something I'd love to see!

#17 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Force heavy eras aren't going to be doable until after the F&D book in 2015. At least not officially.

#18 Genghis12

Genghis12

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

But that's one of the beauties of FFG's new paradigm. They can provide sourcebooks on campaign focus, not temporal "eras" like WEG or WotC. There's for darn sure enough "EotE" material in SWTOR. One fourth of the game is focused on Smugglers/Operatives. The Great Hyperspace War was proximately caused by two Republic down-on-their-luck fringer scouts! FFG need not have to wait for completion of their other core books before producing EotE supplements for ALL eras, even those (some) consider "Force-heavy."

#19 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Genghis12 said:

But that's one of the beauties of FFG's new paradigm. They can provide sourcebooks on campaign focus, not temporal "eras" like WEG or WotC. There's for darn sure enough "EotE" material in SWTOR. One fourth of the game is focused on Smugglers/Operatives. The Great Hyperspace War was proximately caused by two Republic down-on-their-luck fringer scouts! FFG need not have to wait for completion of their other core books before producing EotE supplements for ALL eras, even those (some) consider "Force-heavy."

Well, as you said, EotE would only be 1/4 of a SWTOR setting.  For a lot of folks, one of the big appeals of settings outside of the Dark Times/Rebellion Era is the availability of Force-users, be they Jedi, Sith, or any of the myriad of Force Traditions.

Right now, rules on Force-users are very light, so while FFG in theory could publish sourcebooks for other eras of play using just EotE material, there'd be some valid complaints about how Force-users in those eras really aren't well-represented.  It'd be akin to having a game set in the Firefly/Serenity 'verse, but not include any rules for starships.  Or a Lord of the Rings RPG without at least the option of playing Elves or Hobbits.  It's doable, but you're missing some of the key elements of that particular setting.

So while they may not "need' to wait, it'd be a much safer return-on-investment from a sales perspective to hold off on publishing sourcebooks for those "Force-heavy" eras until they actually do have broader rules for the Force in place.  Yes, there are folks that are happy to run games with nary a Force-user in sight, but there are also a decent number of folks that feel the Force is an integral element of Star Wars and will be more likely to pass on a setting sourcebook for a "Force-heavy" era that doesn't include any coverage of Force-users.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#20 Genghis12

Genghis12

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Right -- and there are books coming for those people.

But, if they're going to support EotE.  And they're going to support other eras of play beyond just OT era.   Well, then…

Then I think it would be an even weirder arrangement if they had a sourcebook mixing different core books.  I think they run the risk of alienating people if they force everyone to purchase all core books simply to take full advantage of a supplement.  That's the problem with doing the old WEG/WotC era sourcebooks.

I think a more logical EotE-branded product is to actually have an EotE-branded product.  And there's definitely room in any era for EotE elements.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS