Ignores Line of Sight vs Ignores Cover

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bi0mech81

Bi0mech81

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

I play regularly against an allies player who is ARtillery and indirect fire weapon heavy. We regularly run into the debate on wether artillery (ignores line of sight) also ignores cover because, say a ruined wall which provides hard cover can have a line of sight drawn from the observer to the target without intersecting another piece of terrain, but the wall is blocking line of sight (and providing full cover) from the direction of the artillery weapon. So far the league "overseer" has ruled that it does not ignore cover, but for future play outside of the league I would like to know if that's a house rule that's been established, or the way the game mechanic is actually supposed to be played.

#2 em_en_oh_pee

em_en_oh_pee

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Bi0mech81 said:

I play regularly against an allies player who is ARtillery and indirect fire weapon heavy. We regularly run into the debate on wether artillery (ignores line of sight) also ignores cover because, say a ruined wall which provides hard cover can have a line of sight drawn from the observer to the target without intersecting another piece of terrain, but the wall is blocking line of sight (and providing full cover) from the direction of the artillery weapon. So far the league "overseer" has ruled that it does not ignore cover, but for future play outside of the league I would like to know if that's a house rule that's been established, or the way the game mechanic is actually supposed to be played.

Artillery does not require line-of-sight from the firing model, but instead may use a model with Artillery Strike. You do draw line-of-sight from the model with Artillery Strike and unless the weapon used has Burst, it does not ignore cover.

#3 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Since line of sight will be drawn by the unit with the radioman, you will use that line of sight to determine what the cover is that the unit will get.  In this case, the cover represents visibility - if it's hard for the radioman unit to see the unit, that makes it harder to give precise co-ordinates for the attack.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS