expansions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jamesketchum

jamesketchum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

honestly i havent bought the game yet but i have saved the money and am buying the core set next week.  ive been watching the tutorials and researching the game alot.  of course you need the core set first, my question is: is there an order that you should buy the expansions in or can you continue the core set with any of them?

#2 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

There isn't necessarily an order that you absolutely have to follow, but I definitely recommend getting them in the order that they were released.  

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#3 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

the answer i give here is as legolas says- you dont have to follow in order but i think its the best way to enjoy them

also note that you have to have the deluxe pack before you can play any of the cycle after it

for example you need the deluxe pack khazad dum to play the dwarrowdelf cycle packs, and you need hiers of numenor to play the upcoming cycle

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 scwont

scwont

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I recommend getting either both Hobbit saga expansions, or Khazad-Dum + Dwarrowdelf cycle. With the amount of material now released, I don't think there's any particularly good reason to go with the Mirkwood cycle first. Plus many of the Mirkwood adventure packs are apparently temporarily out of pront and hard to find at the moment anyway.

Heirs of Numenor contains extremely difficult scenarios so it's best avoided until you have more experience and a bigger collection of player cards.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

scwont said:

I recommend getting either both Hobbit saga expansions, or Khazad-Dum + Dwarrowdelf cycle. With the amount of material now released, I don't think there's any particularly good reason to go with the Mirkwood cycle first. Plus many of the Mirkwood adventure packs are apparently temporarily out of pront and hard to find at the moment anyway.

Heirs of Numenor contains extremely difficult scenarios so it's best avoided until you have more experience and a bigger collection of player cards.

i personally think that the hobbit quests would be far too hard with just core set. also i would say the opposite- there is every reason to go with mirkwood….song cards, dain, storyline, dunedain attatchments, frodo…also its a good way to ease into the harder quests.

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

I personally have found out that if you have both hobbit scenarios, it allows guite good decks! So it is a good base for building competative decks, But core + only one of those Hobbit scenarios is definitely too hard! With both it is manageable. Both Hobbits and Two core sets, is just fine (more of those presioiushhh singles in there!

#7 jamesketchum

jamesketchum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

so i notice that alot of the expansions are out of print.  my next question is, can you play the packs in a story arc out of order?

#8 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

jamesketchum said:

so i notice that alot of the expansions are out of print.  my next question is, can you play the packs in a story arc out of order?

for far, it's only been a loose story arc. though, it sounds like the current cycle will be changing that trend. so yeah, playing out of order isn't a huge deal.

#9 scwont

scwont

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

richsabre said:

i personally think that the hobbit quests would be far too hard with just core set. also i would say the opposite- there is every reason to go with mirkwood….song cards, dain, storyline, dunedain attatchments, frodo…also its a good way to ease into the harder quests.

rich

You could list good cards in every large expansion and cycle though, and I would say Dwarrowdelf overall has much better player cards (mainly in the last 4 packs).  Dain is a very powerful hero but to build good dwarf decks around him you need…the Hobbit expansions and/or KD-Dwarrowdelf.

You did forget the Eagles from the Mirkwood cycle though, which I find myself including in almost every deck I build with Tactics :)

#10 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Here is quite simple. Marketing way an logic way you buy them in the order they come out. Core set, Mirkwood cycle, Kahzad-Dum, second  Cycle Both Hobbit and Heir of Numenor. In this order you will get righ way of difficutly increse and players cards order. that how is done by desugners.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS