Photo

WHY ARE CARDS SETS DUPLICATED IN DESOLATION OF HOTH?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cmdrcody

cmdrcody

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Just curious - have not played them yet, but why are there dpubles of sets?

#2 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

SO YOU CAN PLAY WITH TWO COPIES.

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#3 SWLCG_CO

SWLCG_CO

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yep, the rules explain that unless limited to one per deck, you may play two copies of an Objective set. Basically, this means that you get everything you need in the Force pack.

#4 shaggscoob

shaggscoob

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Holliday88 said:

SO YOU CAN PLAY WITH TWO COPIES.

I see what you did there <<

#5 karatechop

karatechop

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Exactly right.  To be honest, FFG is are doing the xpacs right.  Everything you need is in that box.  No point in buying 2 xpacs unless you plan on making several decks.

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

karatechop said:

Exactly right.  To be honest, FFG is are doing the xpacs right.  Everything you need is in that box.  No point in buying 2 xpacs unless you plan on making several decks.

Oddly, they broke the tradition and are making Edge of Darkness a "one-of" box, so you'll need to buy two of those.  Hopefully that'll turn out to be a thing exclusive to that, as it should be absolutely stuffed wtih Scum and Smugglers Objectives, and maybe two-of-each would have put the price point of the box well above their normal pricing structure.

#7 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

cleardave said:

karatechop said:

Oddly, they broke the tradition and are making Edge of Darkness a "one-of" box, so you'll need to buy two of those.  Hopefully that'll turn out to be a thing exclusive to that, as it should be absolutely stuffed wtih Scum and Smugglers Objectives, and maybe two-of-each would have put the price point of the box well above their normal pricing structure.

Let's hope the other deluxe expansions don't stick to that…

#8 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Darthvegeta800 said:

It wouldn't be the worst thing.  Ultimately, there's 132 unique cards in that box, and as long as there isn't more than a single "one per deck" objective for each side, I wouldn't be too miffed.  A full playset of almost 300 cards would probably run more than $20, so I'm fine with it if the extra box doesn't generate a lot of dead weight for me.

#9 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

cleardave said:

Darthvegeta800 said:

It wouldn't be the worst thing.  Ultimately, there's 132 unique cards in that box, and as long as there isn't more than a single "one per deck" objective for each side, I wouldn't be too miffed.  A full playset of almost 300 cards would probably run more than $20, so I'm fine with it if the extra box doesn't generate a lot of dead weight for me.

Maybe. Wouldn't be the end of the world but i'd still rather not. Makes it all far more affordable. Not to mention it would ensure a slower and hopefully more contained expansion of the cardpool.

#10 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Darthvegeta800 said:

Maybe. Wouldn't be the end of the world but i'd still rather not. Makes it all far more affordable. Not to mention it would ensure a slower and hopefully more contained expansion of the cardpool.

I guess I give it a pass because the aim of Edge of Darkness is to provide a solid injection of Scum and Smugglers into the game where they are just existing as a couple of Objectives on each side (accounting for the cards to be released in the Hoth cycle).

If the big box expansions carry on with another "big release" idea like the Multiplayer rules, and support it with a lot of cards, then it won't offend to much if my dollars provide that much more usability.  I do agree that affordability is always an issue, especially if you're collecting other things in tandem, so we'll all just need to be responsible gamers and start putting that cash in the coffee tin that much sooner.

#11 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

For those of you that play the other LCGs from FFG, do the big box expansions usually include more tokens/rules? Seems like EOD box is a lot of packaging for 132 cards.

#12 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Holliday88 said:

For those of you that play the other LCGs from FFG, do the big box expansions usually include more tokens/rules? Seems like EOD box is a lot of packaging for 132 cards.

Keep in mind the expansion boxes are about a third the size of the core set boxes.  Still a lot of extra packaging though.

As for new stuff, the LOTR expansions I've bought haven't had any new tokens, but they did introduce new card types that had new rules associated with them (the sack mechanics for the Hobbit expansions for example).

#13 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Hmm, pretty sure I only hit Publish once on that one…

#14 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

DailyRich said:

Holliday88 said:

Keep in mind the expansion boxes are about a third the size of the core set boxes.  Still a lot of extra packaging though.

As for new stuff, the LOTR expansions I've bought haven't had any new tokens, but they did introduce new card types that had new rules associated with them (the sack mechanics for the Hobbit expansions for example).

Oooohhh, it's that size box. Obviously I thought it was core set size.

Speaking of hitting publish only once, DailyRich, take a look at this screenshot I took awhile back. All DailyRich, all the time.

http://imgur.com/NQlhFN4

#15 RedSquadronK

RedSquadronK

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Speaking of the big box expansion…

It's now at the factory according to the Upcoming page! Yay!

Though I doubt it'll actually be out in May like the tourny rules suggested. The May force pack has been at the factory for a few weeks already and I'm guessing a big expansion will take even longer…

#16 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Holliday88 said:

Speaking of hitting publish only once, DailyRich, take a look at this screenshot I took awhile back. All DailyRich, all the time.

http://imgur.com/NQlhFN4

That happens quite a bit with this site.  I've seen days where every single forum had the exact same number of posts in it.

#17 cooleo1c

cooleo1c

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Holliday88 said:

I've seen the box in person. It's the same size as the game of thrones faction expansion sets

#18 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

cleardave said:

karatechop said:

It says "Its twenty-two unique objective sets…" So every set in that expansion is unique, does it mean that they all will be limited one per deck? Or is that marketing jargon…

#19 cdgodin

cdgodin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Well, FFG has stated that competitive players will want to buy 2 copies of EoD, so I suspect that most, if not all, OSets will not be unique

#20 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hannibal_pjv said:

It says "Its twenty-two unique objective sets…" So every set in that expansion is unique, does it mean that they all will be limited one per deck? Or is that marketing jargon…

I would imagine that they won't all be one-per-deck Objectives, and that by "unique" they mean "different from each other".  So while it is possible that some of those 22 Objective sets will be one-per-deckers, most will likely be two-per-deckers, and would thus require you to by two of the big box expansions to have a full set, which is why I said it breaks their current tradition in providing "maximum playable copies" in the expansions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS