Photo

Is a solo player the 1st or the last player?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Under these conditions:

1. shadow: if 1st player, attack +3

2. shadow: engage the last player

3. quest: 1st player creates a separate staging area in front of him

#2 TheDisturbed1

TheDisturbed1

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Single player means you are both the first AND last player.

#3 Colino

Colino

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

By definition the last player is the person who was the first player the previous turn, which is always you if you're playing solo.

#4 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Then how can you play the new hobbit on the doorstep's 1st quest since it tells you to create a separate staging area for the 1st player. So there will be no players in the main staging area.

#5 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Then how can you play the new hobbit on the doorstep's 1st quest since it tells you to create a separate staging area for the 1st player. So there will be no players in the main staging area.

you play through all of the quest cards in order, if you are the first player.

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

Yes you create staging area for first player and there is only 1 staiging area in the game cose you are only one player. Looks like all previous encounter cards is just discarded from play. Cose they cannot move to you new staging area but since there is no other player there is no other staging area anymore until stage 4 so remaind encounter cards just discarded. I play this way and looks like is only way right?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#7 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

That is why i could tell FFG didnt test this quest. In the rulebook. it doesnt mention how to play this quest sololy at all.

#8 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

That is why i could tell FFG didnt test this quest. In the rulebook. it doesnt mention how to play this quest sololy at all.

i can tell you for a fact that all quests are playtested.

#9 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I really would like to help test all their games. I am sure i can do a much better job…Besides i have programming and engineering background, i was thinking about to make e-boardgames, which could be played by multi-players online someday.

#10 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I don't think the problem is testing.  If there's a problem, it is in the writing/wording of rules and instructions.  However, in this instance I think it's written well enough, you just have to follow the instructions literally.  Don't assume anything (like discarding cards-- there's no text to suggest that you should discard anything-- I'm disagreeing with Glaurung here).

1) On 2B, create a separate staging area for the first player.  The original staging area remains exactly as it is now.  All cards in the original staging area will stay there.  The rules do not instruct you to touch them, so don't touch them.  Just make a new staging area for yourself and leave the old one alone, untouched.  Those cards will sit there and wait for you to get to stage 4B.

2) During quest resolution, resolve each staging area separately, just as you would in a multiplayer game.  The first player resolves his/her staging area as per usual.  The original staging area also resolves itself.  There are 0 players in the original staging area, so you would reveal 0 cards.  And after the quest phase, nobody will raise their threat, because players are not affected by question resolution in staging areas to which they do not belong (as explained by the On the Doorstep rule insert: "the resolution of each phase occurs as if only the player or players that share any given staging area are currently present in the game). 

3) When you clear 3B, you'll rejoin the original staging area.  Whatever cards are in the first player's staging area will be combined with whatever cards were in the original staging area when you split off on 2B.  

#11 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thank you for your detailed explanation. This quest looks much clearer to me now.

#12 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

GrandSpleen said:

I don't think the problem is testing.  If there's a problem, it is in the writing/wording of rules and instructions.  However, in this instance I think it's written well enough, you just have to follow the instructions literally.  Don't assume anything (like discarding cards-- there's no text to suggest that you should discard anything-- I'm disagreeing with Glaurung here).

1) On 2B, create a separate staging area for the first player.  The original staging area remains exactly as it is now.  All cards in the original staging area will stay there.  The rules do not instruct you to touch them, so don't touch them.  Just make a new staging area for yourself and leave the old one alone, untouched.  Those cards will sit there and wait for you to get to stage 4B.

2) During quest resolution, resolve each staging area separately, just as you would in a multiplayer game.  The first player resolves his/her staging area as per usual.  The original staging area also resolves itself.  There are 0 players in the original staging area, so you would reveal 0 cards.  And after the quest phase, nobody will raise their threat, because players are not affected by question resolution in staging areas to which they do not belong (as explained by the On the Doorstep rule insert: "the resolution of each phase occurs as if only the player or players that share any given staging area are currently present in the game). 

3) When you clear 3B, you'll rejoin the original staging area.  Whatever cards are in the first player's staging area will be combined with whatever cards were in the original staging area when you split off on 2B.  

Are you sure this way is right to play? Personally i like this way but im very doubt is suppose to be like this………Anyway maybe better ask Caleb?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#13 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm only right about half the time :)  It makes sense to me, but others may see it differently..   I just don't like to do things that aren't written (like discarding all encounter cards in the staging area!).  

someone else can feel free to submit this question if they want, I feel like I've done too many recently.

#14 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

GrandSpleen said:

except the "original staging area," in a multiplayer game, adds a spider per turn from the deck (b/c of spiders glade). it seems odd that in a solo game, you'd be adding a spider per turn only to then to progress to stage 4, overrun with spiders.

in my thinknig, in a solo game, you'd play quest card 3, and 4 does not get set up. and then once the solo player completes quest card 3, he goes on to 4, clears the spiders glade, and then wins.

#15 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

So - has anyone asked the question to Caleb? I would really like to know the answer as I suspect I've played it incorrectly. I forgot to add the spider each turn to the stage 4 staging area, which as Dain has correctly pointed out would be the literal way to interpret the cards.

I'm hoping that in solo play, the spiders galde effect does not trigger if there are no players on that stage.

#16 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Good point!  I forgot about the spider glade.  8-legged menaces!

#17 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Quest card 2B says "all other players advance to stage 4."  In a solo game there are no other players, so nobody would advance to stage 4.  In that case, the Spider Glade wouldn't be added to the staging area.

So maybe you can play it as I suggested above (separate staging area for player 1, leave the original staging area alone), and it will just sit in quest limbo (on card 2B???) until the 1st player finishes 3B and is instructed to advance to stage 4B.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS