Photo

Voidstate's Squadron Builder - Now with Random Squadrons!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi All,

I've been working on my Squadron Builder again this week and thought I'd post to show off a shiny, new feature I've completed: Random Squadrons!

Stuck for ideas? Need a new challenge? Want to recreate the Rebel Alliance's rag tag fleet? Need a super-quick game setup?

Check it out: x-wing.voidstate.com/build (it's the little question mark in a jagged circle)

Cheers

vs

PS. There is another random squadron generator which is, admittedly, better because it takes into account what ships you own. It doesn't allow you to tweak, save or share them, though. fabpsb.free.fr/

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#2 VisionVoid

VisionVoid

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Very nice.  Thanks for all your work on this!

#3 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

took me a while to locate the randomize button, but i finally found it.. it only displays as a small empty rectangle button under the rebel and empire buttons on the top right of the screen.. no question mark or circle in it (and no, it's not a broken image button, just a blank button)

but great work btw :D

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#4 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

executor said:

took me a while to locate the randomize button, but i finally found it.. it only displays as a small empty rectangle button under the rebel and empire buttons on the top right of the screen.. no question mark or circle in it (and no, it's not a broken image button, just a blank button)

You probably have an old version of the stylesheet cached. Try a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5).

· Try my Unoffical X-Wing Squadron Builder, see the 100,000+ squadrons other players have created or a list of all the X-Wing components.
· I spent the last year backpacking around SE Asia for a year with my wife and three identical triplet girls. Check out our blog to see where we got to: Travels With Triplets.

#5 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

nope, same thing

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders

#6 executor

executor

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

i'm using google chrome as my web browser.. tried it on internet explorer and it works fine and i see the random button clearly

but i also run Adblock on my chrome.. do you think that is giving it issues for some strange reason?

Current Fleet

#7 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

executor said:

i'm using google chrome as my web browser.. tried it on internet explorer and it works fine and i see the random button clearly

but i also run Adblock on my chrome.. do you think that is giving it issues for some strange reason?

Based on the details provided, I have the same set up and am having the same problem.

#8 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Very nice and useful little program. Kudos for making it!

#9 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

voidstate said:

Hi All,

I've been working on my Squadron Builder again this week and thought I'd post to show off a shiny, new feature I've completed: Random Squadrons!

Stuck for ideas? Need a new challenge? Want to recreate the Rebel Alliance's rag tag fleet? Need a super-quick game setup?

Check it out: x-wing.voidstate.com/build (it's the little question mark in a jagged circle)

Cheers

vs

PS. There is another random squadron generator which is, admittedly, better because it takes into account what ships you own. It doesn't allow you to tweak, save or share them, though. fabpsb.free.fr/

love this Squadron Builder.  I especially like the print feature.  Would you ever consider adding the feature of being able to tell it what ships we own?

#10 chopsuey

chopsuey

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

appreciate the effort man. this is a breeze to use. thanks!

#11 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Glad you like it.

Also, I added new feature today: you can now generate a turn order chart for any two squadrons. Just click the "turn order" button.

vs

#12 flvolunteer

flvolunteer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

"Impressive. Most impressive."

Thanks for providing this tool to the community - fantastic job!!

Regards,

FL Volunteer

Thanks,

FL Volunteer

(aka "Mr. Cupcake")

http://www.thejustdiceleague.org

#13 csi15

csi15

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I found what I would call a small glitch and wonder if anyone else was having the same problem or if it could be fixed.  I created a squad and saved it.  Later I loaded that squad, changed a thing or two, changed the name and saved, thinking that changing the name would make a new file.  What it did was erase and replace the old file. 

#14 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

csi15 said:

I found what I would call a small glitch and wonder if anyone else was having the same problem or if it could be fixed.  I created a squad and saved it.  Later I loaded that squad, changed a thing or two, changed the name and saved, thinking that changing the name would make a new file.  What it did was erase and replace the old file. 

No, that's how it's supposed to work. There's a duplicate button at the bottom right of each squad you can use to copy a squad.

#15 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi Voidstate! Your builder is awesome! My girlfriend and I have been using it to build squadrons and keep track of everything.

I do have a… request? though? Could it be made friendly for the Kindle somehow? We both have it and when I tried using it earlier today none of the scrolling options would function. I could see all the X-Wings, but couldn't go down to access anything else.

Thanks!

#16 voidstate

voidstate

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Kindle fire or kindle?

#17 Astro Mike

Astro Mike

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

First of all, congrats on the app; it is really top-notch. I use it all the time. One question though: what do you think about possibly adding the scans of the actual cards to the database (perhaps as a hover effect or a third option beside info and add on the iPad version). It is not essential (the program works like a charm without it), it would just be a little cosmetic addition for convenience.

#18 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:58 AM

Kindle Fire, the poor person's iPad :)

Why the need to see card previews? I think the information alone is fine enough as it is, and there is another squadron builder out there where you can preview cards by rolling over the names. I've come to like Voidstate's better.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS