Academy Pilot

Everyone fires at pilot skill 9.

or

99 pt

Darth Vader + Homing Missile +Swarm Tactics + Stealth Device

Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Stealth Device

Night Beast

Academy Pilot

Everyone but the academy pilot fire at pilot skill 9 and 3 pilots get multiple actions most rounds.

Thoughts?

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Why stop at 9?

Soontir Fel with Veteran Instincts and Stealth evice
Howlrunner with Veteran Instincts and Stealth Device
Boba Fett with Veteran Instincts, Seismic Charge, and Gunner

Your pilot skills are now 11, 10, and 10. I ran this last weekend. I lost to Han Shoots First, but I beat a Lando/Biggs combo and a 4 Interceptor squad. Seismic charge is nice because your opponent has already moved so you know if you want to drop it or not.

Or alternately, if the firespray isn't your style:

Soontir Fel with Veteran Instincts and Stealth Device
Howlrunner with Veteran Instincts ad Stealth Device
Turr Phennir with Veteran Instncts and Stealth Device
Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instincts

Your Pilot Skills are 11, 10, 9, and 9. And you should be shooting either first or simultaneously with your opponent. Plus, the inherent high skills mean you will be setting up last, which means you get to dictate where the fighting will take place.

#3 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Do you find the initiative advantage stronger than the multiple actions?

I've been running a few 7-9 skill builds and cleaning up with 0 losses on my side. I've been trying to figure out if it's mainly because of piloting skill values, multiple actions per ship, or the combo.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I need to start playing on vassal…

#4 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Mainly I just wanted to show up and say,"Okay, my lowest pilot skill is a 10."  I could set up last, thereby dictating where the action would take place. I always attacked first with my entire squad before my opponent went. In the game against  the 4 Interceptor squad, I took one of them out before it even had a chance to attack. And that was a level 6 interceptor with Stealth. Now it was my 100 points vs his 75. The game was quick.

Don't get me wrong, the multiple actions may be a good squad. I was just willing to give up other Elite Pilot Talents for straight pilot skill. It was fun. I learned what I wanted to learn, and now I've moved on to a different strategy for attacking Han Shoots First.

I'm sure having lots of 9 pilots will work well, I just wanted to take it a step futher, because if I face you with all of your level 9 pilots, and mine are 11, 10, and 10, your swarm tactics doesn't really mean much. You will have built this awesome squad, which would work well against most squads, only to show up and attack after my entire squad has. That's why I built it. I was kind of hoping to face a Wedge, so I could see if I could take him out before he even got 1 shot off. Didn't happen, though, but oh well.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Good luck and have fun! :)

#5 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

This thread is an example of why I lke coming here. So many good builds and tactics to think about.

#6 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

So the biggest weakness I found with the 99 point build was in flying against another 9 skill empire build. Having initiative meant he had the maneuvering advantage every time… shooting first never yeilded enough of a benefit.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS