Jump to content



Photo

Conflict Actions rules clarification


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 whitewolfjm

whitewolfjm

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

 

Ok, just to make sure I have this straight, I want to run through a combat phase to make sure I understand the order of events correctly.  Specifically I am a bit unsure about when action cards/actions on characters can be played.

 

Light side declares 1 attacker:  Obi-Wan Kenobi (with Trust Your Feelings equipped)

Dark side declares 4 defenders: 2x AT-ST Commander, 2x TIE Attack Squadron

 

Edge Battle takes place resulting in the Light side wining.

 

The Dark side takes 2 actions by spending 2 resources and putting 1 shield token on each tie using the game text of the 2 AT-ST Commanders (Is that correct so far?)

 

After both players pass on the action phase here, we go to striking.

 

The Light side strikes first (having won the Edge Battle) and Obi-Wan Kenobi does 1 damage to 1 TIE Attack Squadron (Removing a shield), puts 2 Focus Tokens on the 2 TIE Attack Squadrons, and 1 damage on the Objective.

 

In the action phase immediately following, the Light side player pays 1 resource to play Jedi Mind Trick to put 1 focus token on 1 AT-ST Commander (so now 3 of the 4 defenders are focused)

 

The Dark side player plays Talon Roll to unfocus one of his TIE Attack Squadrons

 

The Light side player passes

 

The Dark side player pays 1 resource to shield the now active TIE Attack Squadron using the AT-ST Commander’s game text (can he do this again, or can he only use this action once per turn?)

 

After both players pass, it is now the Dark side’s turn to strike

 

The Dark side player focuses his TIE Attack Squadron and does 1 damage to Obi-Wan.  (Since he is the defender, his blast damage does nothing.)

 

In the action phase following, Obi-Wan Kenobi focuses Trust Your Feelings to unfocus himself.

 

After both players pass it is now time for the Light side to strike again.

 

Obi-Wan Kenobi again focuses and damages the objective, kills the active AT-ST Commander, and then puts 1 more focus token on each of the TIE Attack Squadrons

 

They both pass in the action phase.

 

It is the Dark sides turn to strike, but since all his units are focused he must pass.

 

They both pass in the action phase.

 

It is now the Light sides turn to strike but since all his units are focused, he must pass as well.

 

Since both players have passes, the battle resolves, and since there are still defenders, no extra damage is applied to the Objective.

 

Do have the battle flow right, and if not, where did I go wrong.

 

Thanks,



#2 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

    Member

  • Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Flow is correct, though there are some efficiences that play experience will correct.

You can use each of the AT-ST Commanders to shield, though they can each only be used once during each engagement.


Welcome to the machine!


#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

MasterJediAdam said:

Flow is correct, though there are some efficiences that play experience will correct.

You can use each of the AT-ST Commanders to shield, though they can each only be used once during each engagement.

This is incorrect, each AT-ST Commander can be used as many times as you can pay for their action.  You do have the flow correct though.

One other thing that wasn't clear to me from reading through that you might have missed: shield tokens can also prevent focus tokens from opponents' effects… so a shield can prevent focus tokens from Tactics (or Jedi Mind Trick, if one of the Commanders was shielded).



#4 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

    Member

  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Also, in the lay out you gave, why wouldn't the LS play A Jedi Mind Trick first (since he is the active player) before allowing the shields to be placed that can prevent focus tokens being placed on them?

That is just a game play option you will learn as you play more. But other than that the flow is correct. Just remember to alternate, even in the deploy phase. As soon as you do something announce it and then let the opponent react if they can, otherwise continue play. That is a similiar mechanic that most LCGs/CCGs have built in them.

If someone plays too fast, kindly ask them to back up and let you respond.



#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Also, in the lay out you gave, why wouldn't the LS play A Jedi Mind Trick first (since he is the active player) before allowing the shields to be placed that can prevent focus tokens being placed on them?

That is just a game play option you will learn as you play more. But other than that the flow is correct. Just remember to alternate, even in the deploy phase. As soon as you do something announce it and then let the opponent react if they can, otherwise continue play. That is a similiar mechanic that most LCGs/CCGs have built in them.

If someone plays too fast, kindly ask them to back up and let you respond.

In this particular example, the shields and the Jedi Mind Trick do not interact.

#6 whitewolfjm

whitewolfjm

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

Awesome,

     Thanks for all the help everyone, and thanks dbmeboy for pointing out that shields can block focus tokens, I didn't know that and that will change things a lot.

So regarding the AT-ST Commanders, as long as I have the resources, I can use their action as many times as I want correct?

(example, I have an AT-ST Commander, 4 other defenders, and 4 resources free.  During the declaration phase I can use his action 4 times, paying 4 resources to put 4 shields up.  Is this correct?)

 

Thanks again,



#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

whitewolfjm said:

 

Awesome,

     Thanks for all the help everyone, and thanks dbmeboy for pointing out that shields can block focus tokens, I didn't know that and that will change things a lot.

So regarding the AT-ST Commanders, as long as I have the resources, I can use their action as many times as I want correct?

(example, I have an AT-ST Commander, 4 other defenders, and 4 resources free.  During the declaration phase I can use his action 4 times, paying 4 resources to put 4 shields up.  Is this correct?)

 

Thanks again,

 

 

Assuming that those 4 other units are all Vehicles, then yes, you can do that.  Note that you cannot split 2 resource sources (such as Control Room) to do that though, so it would have to be 4 resources available from 4 different sources.

 

Edit: Also note that the AT-ST commander does not himself have to be in the engagement to use his ability.



#8 whitewolfjm

whitewolfjm

    Member

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

dbmeboy said:

Assuming that those 4 other units are all Vehicles, then yes, you can do that.  Note that you cannot split 2 resource sources (such as Control Room) to do that though, so it would have to be 4 resources available from 4 different sources.

Edit: Also note that the AT-ST commander does not himself have to be in the engagement to use his ability.

__________________________________________________________________________________

 Awesome!  I knew about the first part (not being able to split resources) but I didn't think about the second.  So basically, unless an action specifies being in the engagement (the normal shielding trait, Han Solo's text, etc…) then it can be used whether the unit is in the engagement or not?

And also, "during an engagement" means anytime after an attacker has been declared right?

Thanks,



#9 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

    Member

  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

(quote)

dbmeboy said:

In this particular example, the shields and the Jedi Mind Trick do not interact. (/quote)

 

 

Just curious, why not? If Jedi Mind trick is placing a Focus token on you then a shield can remove it. What I was trying to say is play this first before he can put shield up to prevent you from focusing them. Playing jedi Mind Trick is an effect so it can be prevented with a shield. Right?

Using Shields

A player may discard a card’s shield token to prevent one damage or one focus token that would be placed on the shielded card by an attack or an enemy effect (i.e.it cannot prevent damage and focus tokens placed by its controller’s costs or effects).

Jedi Mind Trick



#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

@ Rogue 4: Because the shield tokens in this example where only on Vehicles and Jedi Mind Trick can only hit Characters and Creatures. In the future, accard may be printed that is both a Character and a Vehicle, but nothing in this example was. :-) In general though, shield tokens would work against Jedi Mind Trick.

 

@whitewolfjm: Yes, during an engagement is any time between declaring attackers and rewarding unopposed, though there are some times between there that do not have action windows to use Action abilities.



#11 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

    Member

  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Oh yeah I know that, I was talking about the AtSt Commanders…sorry for the confusion we were on the right page overall though



#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Rogue 4 said:

Oh yeah I know that, I was talking about the AtSt Commanders…sorry for the confusion we were on the right page overall though

Yeah, while you could use Jedi Mind Trick to place a focus token on the AT-ST Commander before it could use its ability, having a focus token will not stop his ability from working so it doesn't really affect anything.  And since there was no way for the DS to shield the AT-ST Commanders, also not much reason to use the Jedi Mind Trick any earlier.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS