• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

This is something that has been on my mind for a while, but with the new Jedi set, it's come to the forefront once again. When the game was first released, we saw how each faction has certain benefits. Rebels are good at direct damage, Imperials have insane resource acceleration, Jedi benefit greatly from enhancements, and Sith are focused on benefits from events. These last two always seemed a little counter-intuitive to me. The Jedi teach that you are to avoid attachments, and even though the enhancements don't always represent physical things, I always felt like buffing them with enhancements sort of flew in the face of their teachings. Meanwhile, the Sith are a perfect example of a group that wants to augment their power any way possible. Granted, Vader's cybernetic enhancements were not installed by choice, but I always felt that enhancements would feel more in line with the Sith than the Jedi. Meanwhile, the Jedi would be more focused on doing the right thing at the right time -- in other words, they'd focus on events.

In a recent game, I saw Yoda become devastating with lots of Enhancements. To me, his ability would be more flavorful if switched with Darth Vader. Then Darth Vader could benefit from lots of enhancements, which really represents his character, in my opinion. 

So what changes might we see if Sith were more attachment, focused? Force Choke and Force Lightning might act as enhancements. For example, "Force Choke: Enhance a Force User. Focus Force Choke to deal one damage to an enemy unit." Maybe you make it cost 2 instead of 0. Now you have a powerful card, much like Heavy Blaster Emplacement, but you're limited in when you play it because the Sith have fewer Force User characters. Maybe it balances out. Force Lightning might be, "Force Lightning: Enhance a Force User. Reaction: After attached unit focuses to strike, focus this enhancement to deal 3 damage to a target exhausted unit." I'm just throwing ideas out to represent the flavor of what I'm trying to say. These obviously would need lots of testing and balance before implementation.

By this point, you're probably wondering what the point of the post is. I'm really just sharing a thought and looking to see if anyone else has felt that enhancements would have been better for Sith than Jedi. Obviously we can't change the game, and I'm not looking to change it either. I'm just curious in what people think. If you feel that Events thematically go with Sith more than Jedi and Enhancemnts are much more thematic on Jedi, I look forward to hearing your justifications.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I love your thought process up there Budger, but I have to disagree and say I like the set up the way it is now. But this is primarily because the enhancements that make Jedi great so far (with the notable exception of the lightsaber) are representing different forms of inspiration or training (Trust Your Feelings and Shii-Cho Form) or the literal enhancing of one person by heeding the wisdom of those who have gone before (Old Ben's Spirit.)

I also like this current set up because the Jedi take time to get going with lots of enhancements being deployed, whereas the Sith gain quick (but temporary) benefit from lightning fast events. The Sith like to play lots of events for several effects and then take control of the situation. They're always moving always doing - represented by the "into play/out of play" events they favor. Jedi want enhancements to represent their mantra of "knowledge, then action" but note that the enhancements stick around and make the character more powerful in the long run, if not as immediately powerful as the effect of a well-timed Sith event like Force Lightning. 

Dark side is about quicker effects of the force, but not as much mastery of the force as Light Side. Events vs. Enhancements…

So, if I may close with a quote from the Holy Trilogy, Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back:

Luke: Vader… Is the dark side stronger? 
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

#3 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I could see how enhancements are meant to "stick around" with the Jedi as the Force lives in everything and how the Sith react quickly with interrupting things using aggression through events.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for your responses! Those are good interpretations.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

I suppose this is one of the reasons why they chose to call them enhancements rather than attachments in this game. I had been curious about that, but it makes sense now.

#6 Bolfa Fluffbelly

Bolfa Fluffbelly

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Kind of like how the Dark Side winning conditions are very passive and the Light Side winning conditions are very aggressive.

Hrm.

#7 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Bolfa Fluffbelly said:

Kind of like how the Dark Side winning conditions are very passive and the Light Side winning conditions are very aggressive.

Hrm.

but if LS did nothing in the trilogy then the dark side would have won by default. Makes perfect sense to me since being part of a rebellion/uprising is something that happens as a response to an oppresive force.

#8 GooeyChewie

GooeyChewie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

All it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yoda is pretty much the embodiment of the Jedi Code, and yet Yoda's purpose in training Luke was so that he could face and defeat Darth Vader and the Emperor. Not a passive act, but one necessary to restore freedom to the galaxy. You could argue that since it was their Empire that wiped out the Jedi and continues to oppress countless worlds, they are the aggressor, and the LS is merely retaliating to overthrow their tyranny. After all, the LS player doesn't do anything in this game until the DS player has taken his turn and (most likely) drawn the Balance of the Force into darkness.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS