Photo

(More) help for the terminally indecisive.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

The final rounds of the Vassal tournament I'm playing in are coming up, and I need to pick one final list to carry me through to the end. These are subject to tweaking, and I won't say which I'm leaning toward, but here are the options I'm considering. (Two of these may look familiar.) 

Which would you field against experienced, skilled opponents, and why?

List A: 
* Han Solo (46) + Luke Skywalker (7) + Chewbacca (4) + Millennium Falcon (1)
* Rookie Pilot (21)
* Rookie Pilot (21)

List B:
* Chewbacca (42) + Gunner (5) + Millennium Falcon (1)
* Green Squadron Pilot (19) + Push the Limit (3) + Concussion Missiles (4)

List C:
* Kath Scarlet (38) + Marksmanship (3) + Gunner (5)
* Alpha Squadron Pilot (21)

List D:
* Krassis Trelix (36) + Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
* Howlrunner (18) + Stealth Device (3)
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

The final rounds of the Vassal tournament I'm playing in are coming up, and I need to pick one final list to carry me through to the end. These are subject to tweaking, and I won't say which I'm leaning toward, but here are the options I'm considering. (Two of these may look familiar.) 

List A: 
* Rookie Pilot (21)
* Rookie Pilot (21)

List B:

List C:

List D:
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)

If I had to leave them exactly as-is, I would choose List D. A Firespray-31 with four support craft is just dangerous (though List C looks fun, too). Krassis with the HLC is grand, especially if Focus is your go-to action. However, I am not sold on "Howlrunner." I guess she's nice to keep the heat off the Firespray, but maybe downgrading her would allow you to take a Gunner with Krassis, for those times when your attack totally whiffs. This is especially helpful for Firesprays because you don't always have a shot, so you have to make it count when you're lined up.

List B is second pick because keeping the Millennium Falcon safe from critical hits is important. The A-wings give a good alpha strike. In fact, I may try this list out next time I play because I haven't touched the YT-1300 much at all. I like it better than List A because to me Han Solo's ability is underwhelming (though his high pilot skill is really nice).

EDIT: Didn't you lose last time? I am flattered that you still trust us enough to seek our opinions :)

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

I was thinking the same thing…List D…downgrade Howlrunner to Dark Curse and pick up a gunner for the Firespray.  I mean, if you can field a gunner, why wouldn't you?!

Good Luck in tourney, I will see you in the next one!

#4 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Parakitor said:

Vorpal Sword said:

EDIT: Didn't you lose last time? I am flattered that you still trust us enough to seek our opinions :)

I did lose last time, but it wasn't anyone's fault except mine… and then I got into the next round fairly narrowly on tie-breakers.

#5 Endgame124

Endgame124

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm not a fan of the Gunne with Krassis - I miss so rarely when I can fire the HLC  that you wouldn't get much out of the gunner unless something sneaks into your rear arc, IMO.  With those alpha squadrons (18 points, not 21, BTW), what about running Mauler Mithel w/ Vet Instints?  Same points cost, much higher pilot skill.  Of course, you don't get the boost action with Mauler…

Regarding the Chewbaca list, how about Squad Leader Lando instead?

Lando, Squad Leader, Gunner, Chewbacca, Millineum Falcon
Prototype A-Wing w/ Homing Missile
Prototype A-Wing w/ Homing Missile

It functions in a similar manner, but you get lando shooting before skill 6 pilots, and you can fire both homing missiles the first turn with the A-Wings, and then use them to block.  Durability on Lando is probably slightly higher than Chewie as well.

#6 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

As listed, I'd say D. It looks the strongest.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#7 John Edwards

John Edwards

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Vorpal Sword said:

List A: 
* Rookie Pilot (21)
* Rookie Pilot (21)

List B:

List C:
* Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

List D:
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)
* Academy Pilot (12)

You said your lists are subject to tweaking, so here are my thoughts -

List A - You probably don't need Luke equipped on Han.  Luke, when compared to a generic gunner, only helps on your second attack.  Han's ability makes it more likely for your first attack to deal damage.  I'd say downgrade Luke to a gunner and have 2 points to play with, or 3 points if you drop the Falcon title as well:

• Han Solo (46) + Gunner (5) + Chewbacca (4) + [Marksmanship (3) OR Expert Handling* (2) + Nien Nunb (1)]
  • Rookie Pilot (21)
  • Rookie Pilot (21)

List B -  Green Squadron pilots running Push The Limit + any Missile is a powerful combo.  There is, however, one drawback I've run into with them; with a pilot skill of three they have a harder time target locking and shooting missiles at higher pilot skill opponents.  Dead Eye + Homing Missiles is one option, but it's just soooo hard to pass up on Push The Limit on A-wings…:

• Chewbacca (42) + Gunner (5) + Millennium Falcon (1)
  • Green Squadron Pilot (19) + Push The Limit (3) + Cluster Missiles (4)
  • Green Squadron Pilot (19) + Push The Limit (3) + Cluster Missiles (4)

List C - A Firespray+gunner running around with three T.I.E.s is another really interesting list.  The low pilot skill of your Alpha squints makes them a pretty easy first choice to focus fire.  I've toyed with different T.I.E. combos, and there's quite a bit of variety to suit individual taste, especially if you're willing to downgrade to a generic Bounty Hunter+gunner.  Here's one of my favorites so far:

• Kath Scarlet (38) + Marksmanship (3) + Gunner (5) OR Boba Fett (39) + Expert Handling* (2) + Gunner (5)
  • Backstabber (16) …he's a poor man's interceptor, with a slightly worse gun, but better pilot skill and at a cheaper cost.
  • Howlrunner (18) + Swarm Tactics (2) …pretty much just evade with her every action unless your opponent has her target locked with Homing Missiles available, in which case Focus.
  • Alpha Squadron Interceptor (18)

List D - This looks like a pretty darn solid list, so long as your opponent doesn't abuse Krassis' front arc limitations, or pop Howlrunner too quickly.

*If you haven't tried Expert Handling on the large ships that can use it - Han, Lando, Chewie, Boba and Kath -, be sure to give it a try.  If you're not losing your action to bump spam, then having a barrel roll available on those ships is crazy powerful.  Boba Fett is especially good at using it, because his pilot ability allows you more opportunities to avoid being bumped.  Being able to dump one target lock per barrel roll is just a sick perk.

#8 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Run list D.

HLC everything to death!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS