Photo

Adding card from Heap to Grip - is it visible for both players?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kempy

kempy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

I'm using Deja Vu to add one non-virus card from my heap to my grip. Does Corp player has right to know what card it is?

#2 Kaprylo

Kaprylo

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Simple Yes incase you take a card you are not suppose to.

#3 Cripe

Cripe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

Card Text:  "Add one card (or up to two virus cards) from your heap to your grip."  At first glance I would say that if you one want one card, then you should not be required to show the corp which card as there is no restriction on what type of card you pick if you are choosing to use the first portion of the card.

However, the Rulebook also says that "Both the Runner and the Corporation may look through the heap at any time, but must maintain the order of its cards."  As such, if the Corp wanted to, they could look at the runner's heap immediately prior to the event taking effect and then also immediately after the event.  The Corp would then be able to, by process of elimination, determine which card was returned to the grip.  Because of this, I would have to say that if the Corporation requests to know which card it is, the card should be revealed.  This is more as a time saving function rather than an interpretation of the card text.

The counter-argument would be that the Corporation might remember incorrectly, so the card should still not be revealed.  Well the Corporation could write them down.  A second counter-argument might be that once the event has been played, it must resolve before the Corporation could request to look at the heap thereby not giving the Corporation a chance to see the 'before' state of the heap.  Well, the Corporation could also simply keep a running written down list for the entire game, or ask to see the Runner's heap after every action and thus has the ability to always, at all times, know what is in the heap.  As such, ruling that the Corporation does not get to see the returned card would only result in a slowdown on the game as the Corp now has to maintain knowledge of what is in the heap at all times rather than relying on the Rulebook's premise that the heap can be examined at any time by any player.

The Rulebook's intention appears to be that neither side should be forced to memorize the entire heap.  As such, I would rule that the card does need to be shown, both in spirit of the Rulebook's intention and in the spirit of keeping tournament games speedy.  That being said, I'm nobody official.  :)

YMMV,

Rick

#4 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

The Corp can look at the Runner's entire Heap at any time, including while the Runner is taking a card out of it.  If the Runner attempts to obfuscate this information, that is unsportsmanlike conduct.

#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Needless to say, this goes for the Corp taking a face-up card from Archives.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS