Photo

If I'm closing a gate in the Arkham Encounter phase, do I also get a location encounter?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brasso

brasso

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

If so, then in what order? Close gate, then enounter or vice versa?

Thanks in advance!

Brasso

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Actually, neither as 'closing' and 'sealing' take place during the Arkham Encounter Phase and are conducted in lieu of an encounter.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yup, as the Professor said, it's pretty well covered in the rules (pag 8 & 9): if the location has no gate, then you have an encounter. otherwise, you're forced to enter the gate if you don't have an explorer marker or, if you have an explorer marker, you may try to close / seal the gate

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 brasso

brasso

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

Thanks guys, sorry about the noob questions

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hey, no probs. The game is not easy, and there are tons of things to remember :-)

If you have further questions, ask! There is always someone watching over the forum!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

brasso,

Remember, we were all 'noobs' at one point ~ actually answering questions from the new players helps reinforce what we know about the game.  By the way, you're too new to know this, but for those of us who have played the game for the past few years and tried to answer myriad questions about the peculia card combinations and other issues were finally, after five years, rewarded with a 40+ page FAQ…yes, you read that correctly…40+ pages of Frequently Asked Questions!

Welcome to the Carnival!  It's by-and-large, my favorite board game of all time (I don't consider Chess a board game).  It has theme, great mechanics, wonderful Investigators, and a replayability factor like no other game on the market (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, as I haven't played every other game on the market…but not much).  Anyway, the single best tip I can give you…

"Follow the Phases" ~ I know that sounds simple, but hear me, my friend, that will solve a significant number of questions you have about the base game.  Okay, the next thing…enjoy the base game for awhile, before contemplating the purchase of a single expansion.  Each expansion in its own right is magnificent and eventually you may play with more than one or all of them at the same time…but trust me on this one…savor the base game…there's so much for you to enjoy right now.

Cheers,

Joe/the Professor 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#7 eiterorm

eiterorm

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

brasso said:

Thanks guys, sorry about the noob questions

That's what a forum is for: questions and discussions. ;-] And this game does have a lot of rules. A few specific rules even contradict each other. We were all new to this game once, and we all had questions on how to play this and that, so don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the forum! =)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS