unbowed.unbent. unbroken

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

the new house martell only event, is trash. What the hell…. i would gladly gladly love to here some magical way to actually use this card, because frankly i can't conveive a reason to play it, and looking at what martell's ben getting in the chapter packs lately i'm at a loss for words. its like the faq wasn't enough they just plan to render martell moot

#2 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

nothing, not even you ktom? woe is martell…

#3 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hellholt docks seems pretty good, as is the new Quentyn.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken may not be great, but consider how much play "Much and More" has seen to search out combo-pieces. Especially given the larger deck potentials from The Long Voyage. True, it costs you a card instead of netting you none - but it doesn't give your opponent a card and you can potentially cycle through more of your deck with it (and recover key events with Prince's Plans, or any card with Open Market).

Is it great? No. Is it useless? It's considerably better than without his beard.

Why would Ktom reply to this - it's not a rules question! The reason no one is answering is because all you're doing is whining… what do you expect from us, condolences? I'm quite convinced Martell has a few good builds in it right now (Brotherhood and KotHH both look pretty decent to me), and if this cycle isn't exactly lavishing new tricks on them, well, I'm glad they chose to give a few new interesting toys to the red-headed-step-child, Bara.

#4 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

noted, also taking into account the ease with which it could be cancelled i personally think its too big a risk to dump your hand for revelaed deck cycle, and yes baratheon was in desperte need of some love so kudos there. i guess it just peeves me that they used house motto on a card that as its best could be said to be "possibly ok". im done b#$%ing now to figure out how hollow hill can fair against the new rush cards they infused into the meta, im guessing it'll be an uphill fight

#5 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Wolfbrother said:

the new house martell only event, is trash. What the hell…. i would gladly gladly love to here some magical way to actually use this card, because frankly i can't conveive a reason to play it, and looking at what martell's ben getting in the chapter packs lately i'm at a loss for words. its like the faq wasn't enough they just plan to render martell moot

You're not going to wait for all the chapter packs to come out to reserve judgement? The chapter cycles are created as a boxed set. There could be cards coming later that justify what has already come out.

#6 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

i understand that this is only a part of the current card stochk and that they could introduce something that keys off of discarded hands/ discard pile but currently a costless event that discards my hand as a cost and can be cancelled, it kinda speaks for itself, of course if something comes out that makes it more viable/powerful (i don't think that will ever come up but there it it) i'll change my views but you can't tell me that you'd chance losing your hand as a cost just to get cards that your opponent sees.

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

So don't play the new event.   It's probably deck contextual.  I'd probably only play it during a phase I have chosen for Doran's Scheme so it can't so easily be canceled.

I also think it's an awful event, but when I come across cards like these I simply don't use them.

#8 LordofBrewtown

LordofBrewtown

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm very disappointed to see House words on a lackluster or 'just OK' card.  In my opinion, the House Words for each house should be reserved for one of the 2-3 best events a house has - or at least the event that you see most commonly used.  That would be one of the more easy ways to please Ned type players (IMO), or bring the Neds & Jaime's together.  

#9 flipperlord

flipperlord

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

The event is trash. You need to lose a challenge, lose a card, and show your entire new hand to the opponent. No thanks. I'll just keep the hand I have, that should be full of cards that are worth while anyways. There are too many good events that would make the cut before "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken."

#10 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

LordofBrewtown said:

I'm very disappointed to see House words on a lackluster or 'just OK' card.  In my opinion, the House Words for each house should be reserved for one of the 2-3 best events a house has - or at least the event that you see most commonly used.  That would be one of the more easy ways to please Ned type players (IMO), or bring the Neds & Jaime's together.  

They can always just reprint a better version. They do it with uniques. They even did it with Dragon Knight. It's not like that combination of words and punctuation is now forever unusable again. Maybe they'll realized they botch it and try again next cycle.

#11 LordofBrewtown

LordofBrewtown

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

mdc273 said:

LordofBrewtown said:

They can always just reprint a better version. They do it with uniques. They even did it with Dragon Knight. It's not like that combination of words and punctuation is now forever unusable again. Maybe they'll realized they botch it and try again next cycle.

I certainly hope so.  However, history of this game - going all the way back to CCG - shows that they generally have only made different versions of uniques.  Even when they've made a new version of a non-unique, it seems to have been by accident - a failed editing check on name vs intent.  Also, none of the house words have ever really been spectacular.  Fire & Blood was the best, & Winter is Coming was good/prevelent in the first year of the CCG, Ours if the Fury & Hear me Roar sucked, as did We do Not Sow & Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.  The CCG plots were OK - but none of these have really been the staple auto-includes of house decks.  

I'd certainly like to see them use the iconic quotes more via reprint - here's hoping FFG changes their pattern in that respect.  

#12 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

LordofBrewtown said:

I certainly hope so.  However, history of this game - going all the way back to CCG - shows that they generally have only made different versions of uniques.  Even when they've made a new version of a non-unique, it seems to have been by accident - a failed editing check on name vs intent.  Also, none of the house words have ever really been spectacular.  Fire & Blood was the best, & Winter is Coming was good/prevelent in the first year of the CCG, Ours if the Fury & Hear me Roar sucked, as did We do Not Sow & Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.  The CCG plots were OK - but none of these have really been the staple auto-includes of house decks.  

I'd certainly like to see them use the iconic quotes more via reprint - here's hoping FFG changes their pattern in that respect.  

Well that's just depressing… I really wish they would start reprinting non-uniques. I want to agonize over taking the "does not kneel to attack" Northern Cavalry Flank or a fictitious "ambush-style Northern Cavalry Flank".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS