• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi all.

As you can probably tell from my avatar and sig, I'm a Dust Warfare player. But I've had an eye on X-Wing since Gencon last year, and finally got to play my first game in January (with wave 2 ships!). I loved it, but at the time the UK was sold out of everything. I've played a few more games since then, and eventually placed an order last week for a core set, X-Wing and TIE Advanced so a friend and me could play a thematic Luke vs Vader game this week. I also bought a Y-Wing last night.

In the end we played 2 games yesterday evening. My Rebels won the first with just the core setup (Luke, Night Beast, Obsidian pilot), and his Empire won the second with the extra X-WIng (Wedge) and Vader added in (Vader blew up Luke to win the game). We'll play the decider next week. As you might expect, many film quotes were said. :)

Anyway, in future I plan to play much more X-Wing, because it's awesome (but you already knew that). The only slight knock is that the ship stands are a little fragile; two of them already broke, but I managed to fix them. Also, if any London players are around, give us a shout. I'm curious how many are out there.

#2 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Welcome! I'm nowhere near London, but if you ever come down under, bring your minis and come visit!

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#3 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Dig it, man! Welcome to X-Wing! I'm nowhere near London either, but props all the same. 

You know, being an old AT-43 Red Blok player, I've kinda always had my eye on Dust… If there were more people around me geographically that played, I'd definitely give it a shot sometime. 

#4 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thanks guys! Also, great site CID_MCDP. Your articles are helping me to get up to speed with X-Wing. :)

#5 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hey thanks man! Glad you dig it!

I've bookmarked yours for further review this weekend!

#6 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Welcome to the boards :)

How is Dust anyway?  Is it like a smaller squad based wargame or more mass combat like 40K that sort of thing?

#7 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

ThadiusCole said:

Welcome to the boards :)

How is Dust anyway?  Is it like a smaller squad based wargame or more mass combat like 40K that sort of thing?

Dust is sort-of in-between 40K and a skirmish game. For 300 points (standard tournament size), there's usually about 30-40 models on the table per player, sometimes less if a player takes heavy units, walkers or aircraft. Both Dust and X-Wing allow for lots of synergy between units/ships, which is something I like in a game. It makes the game more than the sum of its mechanics.

#8 The Amazing Flight Lizard

The Amazing Flight Lizard

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Here's a kinda silly question. How long between new releases do you usually wait? Are we talking one new release a year, every 6 months? What?

#9 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

The Amazing Flight Lizard said:

Here's a kinda silly question. How long between new releases do you usually wait? Are we talking one new release a year, every 6 months? What?

Dust usually gets new releases every 3 months or so in waves commonly named after the current campaign (the current one is Icarus). The models are actually designed by Dust Studio; FFG just packages and distributes them (and publishes the Campaign Books for Dust Warfare).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS