Photo

Do the zombies in your games have maggots in them?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Just something that I was thinking about while watching The Walking Dead the other day.  "Hey, those zombies don't have maggots in them!"

How about the other undead such as crypt ghouls?  Should they have maggots?

jh

#2 Zturm

Zturm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Emirikol said:

Just something that I was thinking about while watching The Walking Dead the other day.  "Hey, those zombies don't have maggots in them!"

jh

well they didn't .. Until now! Brilliant idea :P about ghouls.. Not sure, would rather have them marked by nurgle or something..

#3 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well the thing with maggots is, they aren't terribly mobile, nor do they really "cling" to things that well.  So if we are talking about the slow, shuffling masses of undead then I would say yes they do have maggots.  If more speedy Zombies ala' 28 Days Later, then no maggots as they move too fast.

#4 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

In 28 days, the weren't zombies, they were infected people with zombie-like attack patterns. They weren't even undead, they died of starvation usually around 28 days after being infected.

#5 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

SJMazzella3380 said:

In 28 days, the weren't zombies, they were infected people with zombie-like attack patterns. They weren't even undead, they died of starvation usually around 28 days after being infected.

True that they were not techincally undead.  However there are two distinct Zombie stereotypes and one is of the fast-moving, superhuman strength variety, 28 Days Later is just what popped into my head.

#6 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

I know ghouls are undead.  But are they dead?  Werent they humans who ate corpses, that got corrupted genetically into what they are now. They have flesh and blood. Like what happened to the Stirgoi (I think thats what they are called, the ghoul looking vampire).

How does magically animated flesh taste to a maggot? You dont even see clouds of flies.

#7 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'd like to think of you've got zombies with maggots in them, they wouldn't qualify as zombies for long, since the flesh would get eaten away leaving skeletons.

#8 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

Emirikol said:

jh

This actually reminds me of a mechanic I invented for my own zombies when running the Lazuraus Mourn section of The Gathering Storm. If the PCs rolled a Chaos Star during an engagment with one of the zombies, I described how the zombie's guts spilled from it's torso, the rotten flesh ubable to hold back it's bloated innards, causing the PC to accidentally slip in some of the gore and fall down, suffering a stress and making them spend a maneuver to stand back up. A simple mechanic that drips (pun intended) with flavor.

#9 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

I always crank the disgusting dial to maximum when describing events. There's nothing pretty about a walking corpse. The point I want to get across is that they are not walking xp, but something to avoid.

#10 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

The BEST discussion on these forums in quite some time  !!!    I particularly enjoyed the clairification of the distinction between "fast" zombies and "slow" zombies,.. aaahahahaha,.. !!!!!!    with the fast zombies not having maggots due to the lack of sticking ability on the part of the maggot !^&*,. AAAhahahaa,…  

Players, if you are reading this,.. You are witnessing the comments of TRUE DieHARD GM's,.. "Get the scene right,.. down to the last detail",..   I mean,. "how could you possibly be describing maggots on these zombies Mr. GM?? …  They have been running after us very quickly and we all know maggots don't stick too well",…  aaaahahahahaa,…..   

WFRP3e = Awesome !!   Thanks…

#11 skavenmatt

skavenmatt

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I agree with alot of whats been said. I throw bugs in with the slow moving catagory of undead. slow and bloated, really decaying zombies probably have critters like beetles, worms, maggots, and rodents living in them. fresh or fast paced zombies dont have many of those things in my opinion, and they definately don't by the time they're pretty much skeleton and sinew. I have put rats in my animated skeletons before though, either nesting in rib cage, or mice nesting in the empty skull. Ghouls aren't undead in my opinion, but they do eat the things that live in the zombies as well as the more fresh zombies also. so you could have a ghoul eating the maggots and meat from off a zombie who is eating the brains from a freshly killed burgher

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS