3x3 or 4x4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GumbySmash

GumbySmash

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

So I've got a large piece of black cloth that I'm going to be turning into a playmat, but I'm not sure if I should make it a 3x3 or a 4x4. What do you think? What are most games played, and what are tournament games played on?

#2 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

The tournament standard is 3'x3'.  That is also assuming 100 pt games.  If you and your play group enjoy higher pt games, you might find 3'x3' to be restricting and might want to expand to 4'x4'.  I have a 4'x4' board that can be set up on a table.  It has a 3'x3' box in the center for standard games, but if we ever want to, we could expand it to 4'x4'.  I plan to post pictures when I am done.  I still need to paint it, which is waiting for the weather to warm up since I'm using spray paint.

#3 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

i would go as big as possible. you can always play smaller. but it is harder to add more space later if you want it. i have a 6x8 felt.

#4 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Daeglan said:

i would go as big as possible. you can always play smaller. but it is harder to add more space later if you want it. i have a 6x8 felt.

I second this.  I fold my edges under the sides of the board.  I use a 4x5 travel blanket from a thrift shop.  $3!  

As they say in the tattoo business, go big or go home.  

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#5 GumbySmash

GumbySmash

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

With as thin as the fabric is, I could easily fold the edges under. Right now I'm working on decoration. I'm torn between using a empty spacefield or making it look like a shipboard battle display like I did for my BFG playmat.

#6 apegod

apegod

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I used 3x6 black felt on my pool table.  We play with around twenty ships.  It plays great.  

#7 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

What I would do is make it 4' x 4' but mark a 3' x 3' area in the middle so you can also use it in official tournament games. You get the best of both worlds that way.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS