33 Point Flying Aces Tournament

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was thinking it could be fun to do a 33 point 1-on-1 style dogfight tournament.

• 2'x2' play area
  • 6 asteroids following the usual rules except that they must be placed at least range 1 away from any side edge and range 2 away from a player's edge.
  • 1 pilot per side
  • No large ships
  • In the case of equal piloting skill and even build points, the simultaneous damage rules would extend to the critical damage as well. Otherwise, initiative works as normal.
  • 30 minute matches

Why 33 points instead of let's say 45 points?

• Makes builds other than just Wedge, Luke, and Vader, and Maarek viable.
  • Makes missiles usable, but an expensive gamble.
  • Reduces the chance of horrific mismatches against and/or never-ending mirror matches involving let's say Luke + R2 + Shield Upgrade + Ellusiveness.

Thoughts?

• Rouen likes this

#2 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I really like this idea… even Y wings would be competitive with their compulsory ion cannon.

Never Mynock the Buzzsaw Shuttles!

#3 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Totally.  A well placed Ion token could mean the match.

The only ship that seems truly underwhelming to me in this format is the humble TIE Fighter.

#4 DB Draft

DB Draft

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I agree, a single TIE doesn't have the "filler options".  So a two TIE fighter build seems to be the only viable option.  The good thing with a one on one match up is that a Pilot Skill of 1 or 2 is as good as a Skill of 6 or 7 if your opponent is running a Pilot Skill of 8+.  This makes a Gold Squadron Y wing good if it is maxed out with lots of upgrades. 

Never Mynock the Buzzsaw Shuttles!

#5 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Soontir Fel, Push the Limit, Stealth Device

Vader, Stealth Device, Veteran Instincts

Wedge, R2 unit, Push the Limit.

Horton Salm, Ion Turret, R2 unit

They would be my choices, in that order.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

If I had to field a TIE fighter, it would probably be "Mauler Mithel" (Engine Upgrade, Push the Limit). Hopefully that would let him get some good Range 1 shots in with a Focus to boot. Of course, then he's just an expensive TIE interceptor mostly…Turr Fennir without the cool Pilot Ability.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

My top picks:

Vader, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device

Soontir Fell, Push the Limit, Stealth Device

Maarek, Homing Missile, Veteran Instincts

Gold Squadron Pilot, Proton Torpedoes, Proton Torpedoes, Ion Cannon, R5-K6

• (maybe trade out a torpedo for R3-D2 or more shields)

Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, Veteran Instincts

Wedge, R2 Astromech, Push the Limit

#8 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

paradox23 said:

I was thinking it could be fun to do a 33 point 1-on-1 style dogfight tournament.

• 2'x2' play area
  • 6 asteroids following the usual rules except that they must be placed at least range 1 away from any side edge and range 2 away from a player's edge.
  • 1 pilot per side
  • No large ships
  • In the case of equal piloting skill and even build points, the simultaneous damage rules would extend to the critical damage as well. Otherwise, initiative works as normal.
  • 30 minute matches

• Reduces the chance of horrific mismatches against and/or never-ending mirror matches involving let's say Luke + R2 + Shield Upgrade + Ellusiveness.

Thoughts?

I am running a X-Wing group (Copenhagen X-Wings) and we simply love the idea. We will most likely run a side tournament with the outlines that you've made; we have made the following additions:

Each player comes with 4 list each containing 1 named pilot, max 33 points worth

The list must contain both Rebel and Imperial pilots (1Reb/3Imps,3Reb/1Imp or 2 of each)

The starting rounds will be Swiss style, and for the first 4 matches a list can only be used once

Only players with surviving lists moves on to the next round of elimination matches.

In the elimination matches the player with the highest number of surviving list is paired with the one having fewest lists.

Eliminations goes on until only 1 pilot remains.

We call it "There Can Be Only One!!"

Thx for the idea/inspiration

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#9 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

The Ywing would be pretty near damn unbeatable thanks to its ion cannons.

why not try 55 points?

#10 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Duraham said:

why not try 55 points?

55 could work if it was just Rebel builds.  Max Empirial build is 42, but many of those would be wasted points. If you drop it down to 40, it makes A-Wings and Interceptors pointless.  At 35 Vader gets Veteran Instincts and a Homing Missile, which is pretty much an tough to keep up with.  

So 33, makes every fighter-sized ship other than the standard TIE viable.

#11 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Forensicus said:

I am running a X-Wing group (Copenhagen X-Wings) and we simply love the idea. We will most likely run a side tournament with the outlines that you've made; we have made the following additions:

That sounds awesome!  I'm looking forwatd to the battle report.

#12 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I like it, but I wouldn't have the restriction on the number of ships. That way a 2 ship TIE Fighter build is viable.

Could also be done with 31 points, and has the advantage that new people who have just a core set can get involved.

#13 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

Actually, we're planning a 66 pt 2v2 teams tournament at my flgs.

#14 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

I was wondering - how did the event go, and what were the top fighters?

#15 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

• 2'x2' play area
  • 1 pilot per side
  • No large ships
  • 30 minute matches

Thoughts?

interesting idea. why the one pilot limit? let imperials play two ships if they want to imo.

Luke/Wedge + R2D2 =32/33 would be very good (U still have a pt for determination or veteran instincts on luke)

Vader + engine upgrade =33pts would be another good option. even without missiles hes a handful

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#16 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Played in an interesting variant of this today - it was a pair of 5 person free-for-alls on a standard 3x3 playing surface. Pilots could purchase one additional elite skill than normal. Each ship had a maximum value of 33 points.

The winner of the first game was flying Soontir Fel with push the limit and veteran instincts. The other pilots were Horton Salm with an ion cannon and marksmanship, Turr Phenir with Push the Limit, Expert Handling, and a Stealth Device, Luke with R2D2 and veteran instincts, and Luke with an R2, Push the limit, and veteran instincts.

The second game was won by Luke with an R2D2 and veteran instincts. The other pilots were Vader with expert handling and veteran instincts, Tycho with push the limit and daredevil, Horton Salm with an ion cannon, determination, and an R2, and Arvel with a concussion missile, stealth device and push the limit.

#17 spacemonkeymafia

spacemonkeymafia

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Sounds like fun! How long was each match?

#18 niceas

niceas

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

We started shortly after noon, and finished at around three. The first game was definitely shorter than the second (something about me piloting Tycho with Daredevil and Push the Limit), but I'd say around an hour, or an hour and fifteen minutes per match?

We could have moved through the games faster, but we were having a good time (for the record, I hate Vader w/ Expert Handling...)

It certainly proved that a Stealth Device isn't worth it in a free-for-all match.

#19 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Turr with stealth, PTL, and anything else has to be a tough match up.

#20 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Soontir Fel all the way.  Unless fighting a Y-Wing, I would never get shot at even one time.

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS