My Newb Squadron Builds - Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hey all, I am kinda new to playing X-wing.  I have played a few times, but generally just for fun. I am not new to miniatures gaming, and was looking to play X-Wing in our local tournaments each week, but am needing help with lists.  So without too much more talk, here is what I have so far.  I am looking to play the standard 3x3 100pts with asteroids setup from the tourney rules.

List 1 - Light Side (100 pts)

Luke Skywalker (28)
- Proton Torpedoes (4)

Tycho Celchu (26)
- Push the Limit (3)
- Homing Missiles (5)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Prototype Pilot (17)

List 2 - Dark Side (100 pts)

Soontir Fel (27)
- Push the Limit (3)

Turr Phennir (25)
- Push the Limit (3)

Howlrunner (18)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

So in both lists I went for a couple of blockers and a couple Ace pilots so that I could block my opponent's stuff and hopefully pound on them with the bigger ships.  I feel like both lists have a good amount of built in-defense, but I might be a little light on offensive power (especially the Rebel list).  I think if I had to play tomorrow, I'd go with the Dark Side list.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Still very new and wanting to have a good start to build around.  I have at least 2 of every type of ship (and many more in TIEs), and am not adverse to buying more =D.

If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize, looked like the most logical section for this.

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#2 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

For the light side….the 4 Xwing build is stronger than your list.  Wedge, Garven OR Biggs, and 2 rookies.

#3 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

jetsetter said:

For the light side….the 4 Xwing build is stronger than your list.  Wedge, Garven OR Biggs, and 2 rookies.

How so? Not trying to be difficult, just want to understand.  Wedge is obviously a lot more dangerous on the attack, but I think my list is harder to kill, given that they all either have 3 Agility or are Luke (with his inbuilt defense).  I would also think my list is more maneuverable, with A-wing dials and boost.  

Could you elaborate? 

X-Wing Ships:

8xX-wing, 4xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 4xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 5xZ-95, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

It basically comes down to the fact that there are more [hit]/[crit] faces on the attack die (4 in all) than there are [evade] faces on the agility die (3). So more agility is nice, but if both attack and defense are rolling the same number of dice, the attacker has the upper hand. Having four ships with Primary Attack value of 3 is better than having two of your four ships with only a Primary Attack value of 2.

That said, how you maneuver is even more important, which is why A-wings can be effective. It comes down to taste and playing style.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#5 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Parakitor said:

It basically comes down to the fact that there are more [hit]/[crit] faces on the attack die (4 in all) than there are [evade] faces on the agility die (3). So more agility is nice, but if both attack and defense are rolling the same number of dice, the attacker has the upper hand. Having four ships with Primary Attack value of 3 is better than having two of your four ships with only a Primary Attack value of 2.

That said, how you maneuver is even more important, which is why A-wings can be effective. It comes down to taste and playing style.

That makes sense, thanks.  In the few games I've played it seemed that having a high degree of mobility and agility helped more, but I can see the logic in what you said, is possible my viewpoint is a little skewed based on my experience so far.  I will definately need to re-think the LS list above a bit then.  

In a way, its kind of good. My favorite character is Wedge, but the few times I have played him he is a pretty obvious "kill me first" target.  Will obviously need to adjust to that and see what can be done.  Ill revise my post once I have some idea of what I might do LS-wise.

X-Wing Ships:

#6 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

So I modified my LS list to the following:

Wedge Antillies (29)

Tycho Celchu (26)

- Push The Limit (3)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Does this look better?  I wanted to keep at least one A-Wing.  I will hopefully get a chance to try it out this weekend.

X-Wing Ships:

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Looks pretty good. Wedge looks a little vulnerable, but I think in the end having a fourth ship will be a big help. Y'know, I really like the 4 ship builds, but they aren't always as fun because you don't get to go crazy on the upgrades. But anecdotally a fourth ship is better than just about any upgrade. I look forward to hearing how this list works out for you.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#8 Mosedeke

Mosedeke

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

My Empire list is identical to yours, and so far (only had maybe half a dozen games with it) it has performed admirably, no losses yet, though a couple games were down to pure dice rolls.  Most of my games come down to the opponent focusing on the Interceptors and having the TIEs chew them from behind as the squints dance around, or the other way around as Soontir and Fel together knock out almost a ship a turn.  The tricky part is avoiding hits while still keeping the TIEs rolling strikes.  My last couple games I was able to cross the two squads back and forth and try to get Howrunner's ability to trigger on as many as possible.  When it works it's great, but HR gets shot at.  A lot.

If you have faith in your maneuvering ability you can move around anything but the YT-1300 and avoid a disgusting amount of shots.  Just be wary of the Falcon, especially with Han or a Gunner/Luke upgrade.  Either stay as far as possible or pour everything you have into it.

#9 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Parakitor said:

Looks pretty good. Wedge looks a little vulnerable, but I think in the end having a fourth ship will be a big help. Y'know, I really like the 4 ship builds, but they aren't always as fun because you don't get to go crazy on the upgrades. But anecdotally a fourth ship is better than just about any upgrade. I look forward to hearing how this list works out for you.

wedge needs a r2 unit to keep him around. i think putting engine upgrade on him could actualy be very good too. havent seen that upgrade on him much, it could b a real sleeper card for the rebels imo.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS