Photo

Help! LS and DS questions for Tournament! Got destroyed the first time around…

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Ok… Here is the deal. Sadly, I am very new to the competitive card gaming world. However, I have picked up the game quickly and was competitive. Then the new set came out and I took some stuff out of my rebel deck to add Wedge and the Speeders. Then, like an idiot I chose to switch to a Jedi deck with Luke and Han as this deck had been giving me fits because the Empire has little to counter targeted strike. Needless to say, being used to aggressive Rebel decks, I did not fair well playing the Jedi deck (mostly because of awful draws.. I won the only match that I got Han OR Luke :-(…) My first mistake was to play with a deck I had not extensively practiced with, of this I am painfully aware. But I chose it because the Empire can't really counter it and if the opponent brings out the Emporer Han can make quick work of him. My mind is ablaze with questions. First, Jedi or Rebel? Both have their merits and I don't know which works best. And second, How can I counter Han and Luke when I am playing Empire (Being an aggressive player I like to play the Imperial Navy)? Third, I noticed, and have read many things to this effect, that the Tournament rules favor the Imp. Navy over the Sith control because it takes LS objectives destroyed into account when deciding tie breakers. However, Sith control decks, when played properly, can be almost unbeatable (ALMOST)…. Lastly, I am not entirely sure what a "controld deck" looks like, what should or shouldnt be in one, or even how to play it if I had one… Therefore, can anyone help me with this?? There is enough here that I can imagine it should generate tons of talking points and, honestly, the more the merrier cuz I need the help… I just want to be competitive. 

Thanks a million everyone!

GoldCrow18

#2 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Okay, let's see if I can address some questions

1) Jedi vs. Rebels: This is really a matter of playstyle preference, both are very capable strategies. Jedi plays a more control-oriented strategy, while Rebels are all about the aggro.

2) Defeating Han or Luke as the Imperial Navy: Troopers. Heavy Stormtrooper Squad potentially one-shots Han. Stormtrooper Elite one-shots them both and doesn't even have to win the edge to do it. Detained lets you capture them in response to their strike, which even gets around Guardian of Peace. If you prefer to use Vehicles, TIE Attack Squadron can gain Targeted Strike and extra unit damage, and Defense Protocol gives you a "free" point of damage each turn.

3) What is control? A control deck, put simply, aims to win through restricting the opponent's options. Both the standard Jedi and Sith decks could accurately be called control - they focus on manipulating the play area to their advantage through removal, and using the Protect ability to keep their powerful units in play. Control decks should focus on fewer, more powerful units and game-changing events.

#3 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I will give the Trooper thing a try… Should I play that more like a defensive deck rather than an aggressive deck? Should I bother putting in aggressive card sets? Or just attack with star burst characters and defend with blaster only characters (as of course I would not be attacking with these as that would be dumb)… In these decks who would you have hold the force?

Thanks!

Joe

#4 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

A Trooper deck is actually unusually control-slanted for the Navy - you want to build up an army and then start taking out objectives in single conflicts using Orbital Bombardment, Trooper Assault or (Set 41) Darth Vader. I would recommend definitely looking at Objective Sets 26 (Imperial Command), 28 (The Ultimate Power), 32 (Take Them Prisoner) 33 (Corporate Exploitation), and 41 (Lord Vader's Command) as starting points.

When committing to the Force Struggle, commit whichever unit you play on your first turn has the highest number of Force Icons. Make the LS player take the Force back from you, since you're not attacking the first turn anyways. Beyond making sure you don't just hand your opponent the Force on a silver platter turn 1, Officer units are your best choices to commit to the force. Duty Officer and Communications Officer have no combat icons anyways, and Admiral Motti and Grand Moff Tarkin are frequently too valuable to risk on the front lines, which makes them perfect choices for committment. If you can't find an Officer, Elite units like Darth Vader or his one-time flagship the Devastator are a great choice since they will still be fully refreshed by the time your turn comes back around.

#5 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks! I will certainly take your advice… Have you play tested this idea? Do you play Imperial Navy or Sith Comtrol?

Thanks 

GoldCrow18

#6 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've played Navy Vehicle aggro, Navy Troopers and several variations of Sith control with Navy finishers, so…both, I guess? I haven't had the opportunity to play in tournaments, unfortunately, but if I did, I'd probably play one of my Sith variants for my Dark Side deck.

#7 Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Navy aka vehicles I would consider the hardest to play given the current meta, with the Sith being the easiest (they have largest room for error). The troopers are somewhere in between, because against aggressive decks like rebels, you can't just commit to full frontal assault. But it has it's fair share of tricks - Suppression, Detained, Tear This Ship Apart…

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

I played my first game with the new cards last night. I used the trooper deck with Lord Vader's command as mentioned above. I thought it was going to be aggressive, but without Vader or Orbital Bombardment, I was starved for blast damage. I only dealt 4 objective damage the entire game: 2 unopposed, 1 Target of Opportunity, 1 from the new probe droid getting destroyed. I took out Journey to Dagobah conventionally, but took my other two objectives with my Superlaser Blasts. I had to save a lot of units for defense to make sure I could whittle his army down. Like I said, it was much more of a control deck than I anticipated, but it was able to win. I was facing a Jedi deck trying to capitalize on Luke, Obi-Wan, and Old Ben's Spirit.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think the Trooper Navy build is subpar. It relies too much on hitting Vader or Orbital Bombardment and those are only four cards out of at least fifty. I think the Motti/Officer pod resource platform is a must in order to capitalize on any strategy because of how they allow you to consistently play your high cost units or even just more cards than your opponent. This game is about numbers and being able to have eight resources available on turn two is positively game warping. I expect this pod to define the dark side for a while. As to what to use the pod for, Sith/Navy Vehicles seems to outdo Trooper Navy at its own game and the ever ready Sith Control benefits far too well from being able to comfortably play Vader or Palpatine

#10 D.Knight Sevus

D.Knight Sevus

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

4 cards out of 50 is a lot when you're drawing 3-4 cards a turn - on average, you should find one every 12-13 cards you go through. If you use The Ultimate Power (and between Tarkin and Stormtrooper Elite, why wouldn't you?), you can even fish for Bombardment with Superlaser Engineer. You also include the resource Officer units by nature in Troopers, since the unique Officers come alongside the strongest Troopers in the game, and Communications Officer is in Lord Vader's Command. Take Them Prisoner also offers you several outs to cards that destroy swarm-style decks in Detained and Tear This Ship Apart. Overall, I think you greatly underestimate their chances.

#11 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to play through Navy ATM. It is an interesting combination to say the least. I will say that Imperial Suppression is such a compliment to the Navy affiliation that it also may (along with the Vader and the OSet) define a new series of decks. I still don't see how a pure Navy deck can take down the Jedi/Han control deck, so that leaves some combination.

My suggestion to the OP is to continue to define your playstyle, but also learn the decks that consistently win. They may or may not be the same, but in either event you will need to know what you are up against.

Welcome to the machine!

#12 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

You may have better odds than in most games to hit a four in fifty shot, but the fact is the deck simply doesn't work unless you hit one or more of those cards and even then it isn't a sure thing you will win. Sith control and Sith/Navy vehicles both have enough damage built into their units themselves to not have to rely on a key card or two to make them worth playing. Sith/Navy vehicles has exceptional blast damage and seems to just plain outpace troopers and they absolutely crush troopers when it comes to reliability. Sith is very reliable too, but it is more of a slow burn than the blitz of Sith/Navy vehicles. I would take either of those decks over Troopers, however Detained could prove important in circumventing Old Ben's Spirit.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS