New Star Wars LCG Fan Site Looking for Staff

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

In the next week or so, my website TopTierGaming.com will be opening up, and right now I'm looking for the following positions:

Staff Writers for Articles and Decks

Positions are not paid and strictly voluntary. However, you do get to become a moderator on the website, and when we start off our Top Tier Gaming Circuit (which includes competitive Star Wars LCG cash prize tournaments), you will get free entry into all of our tournaments.

If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM over here on the FFG forums.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/TeamTopTierGaming

#2 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Had a HUGE turnout. Private messages have been sent to selected individuals. If you didn't make the cut, I'm sorry, but you can always submit user articles (which could always lead to an opening on staff) and we'll have other positions open soon.

We should be open to the public very soon.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Top Tier Gaming, a community dedicated to Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com

#3 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

$10,000 tournaement series, really? I hope you have the money in escrow because I don't think it will ever pay out. 

#4 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Its not just for Star Wars LCG - it's for multiple LCGs. Also, the details are being worked out atm.

#5 jhorphear

jhorphear

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

i really find all of these offers to be writters for strategy sites a scam.  why should i write content for your site without receivng money for it?  are you not collecting ad revenue?  and if you are not monetizing the site, you wont be around long enough for my writing to be worth putting there.  i wish you the best of luck, but you really need to look at how brainburst.com and starcitygames.com runs their opperation.

#6 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

I don't see a single advertisement on my site. So no, we are not making money from advertisements. This is a labor of pride and of passion. So no, this is not a scam. What would I be scamming you of? Your decklist? Really??? Your idea??? We are not trying to compete with Starcitygames.com nor would we ever be able to. Second, I can't afford to pay people to write articles for a game that at the moment cannot create monetary value. If you enjoy writing, enjoy discussing strategy among people, or just want to discuss your ideas in a formal manner so YOU could be heard with YOUR IDEAS, that is what Top Tier is about. Getting your name out there among the community! Want to be a "named" Star Wars LCG player? Do what the pros do in MTG, PLAY at a TOP TIER LEVEL and WRITE. That is how you get respect in the CCG world. 

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

jhorphear said:

i really find all of these offers to be writters for strategy sites a scam.  why should i write content for your site without receivng money for it?  are you not collecting ad revenue?  and if you are not monetizing the site, you wont be around long enough for my writing to be worth putting there.  i wish you the best of luck, but you really need to look at how brainburst.com and starcitygames.com runs their opperation.

The sites you listed make money. Sites like cardgamedb and I assume toptiergaming are fan run with fan written content and does not make money. So not a scam. You kind of made a lot of assumptions there.

#8 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

jhorphear said:

Do you play Star Wars CCG? That game has survived a decade without a paid staff or paid writers, just people who love the game. I think what JMCB is doing is trying to contribute to what he (and many of us) hope will be a flourishing game with a rich play community.

While there are definitely sites out there like those mentioned in your post, this one seems to be promoted differently. That is refreshing to me. 

At the expense of sounding brash (and to quote a little Star Wars): if you are not interested, "Move Along." If you know something is fishy, corrupt or abusive in what he is doing, please let us all know. I know I would be interested.

Welcome to the machine!

#9 jhorphear

jhorphear

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

sounds like a subpar site with subpar content.  it looks neat, but why would i want to read what unpaid volunteers have to say?  if you can manage to get some known talent then you might have a chance.  i just think the whole "labor of love thing" is overrated.

#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Time to not feed the troll.

#11 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

jhorphear said:

sounds like a subpar site with subpar content.  it looks neat, but why would i want to read what unpaid volunteers have to say?  if you can manage to get some known talent then you might have a chance.  i just think the whole "labor of love thing" is overrated.

Just because a writer is paid doesn't mean the content will be any good. 

This game is still in its infancy, do you think magic websites started with great content.  Everything has to start somewhere.  

#12 TinyGrimes

TinyGrimes

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

The site looks great and I hope there is a ton of content. Card Game DB has been very successful with AGOT and will soon for Star Wars as well I'm guessing. I know I will start writing a column in a few weeks for Card Game DB. But I say the more the merrier and all FFG games are labors of love. The prize structure is geared towards that end. Finally, the notion of named players is a bit much. I cannot name a single SW LCG player outside of my meta and a few friends I've met online. Is my meta great, perhaps. Are we all terrible but think we are good since we only play each other? That could also be the case. Come Gencon and the World Championships then we will have some actual named good players.

#13 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

TinyGrimes said:

The site looks great and I hope there is a ton of content. Card Game DB has been very successful with AGOT and will soon for Star Wars as well I'm guessing. I know I will start writing a column in a few weeks for Card Game DB. But I say the more the merrier and all FFG games are labors of love. The prize structure is geared towards that end. Finally, the notion of named players is a bit much. I cannot name a single SW LCG player outside of my meta and a few friends I've met online. Is my meta great, perhaps. Are we all terrible but think we are good since we only play each other? That could also be the case. Come Gencon and the World Championships then we will have some actual named good players.

The only "named" players I can think of in the Star Wars LCG world are yourself and scarletnite for your work on the Smuggler's Den podcast.  To add to your point, just because I can think of the two of you off the top of my head doesn't necessarily speak to your quality as players by any means, it just speaks to your exposure.

This game is so incredibly young.  It hasn't even had a year to be out and go through a proper FFG Worlds cycle.  We've been hacking away on Core Set for so long, and only now are we seeing something fresh with Desolation of Hoth.  With all of that in mind, I'm not sure that we're going to see someone magically make a name for themselves on the writing side of things by churning out these daily analyses on effective and competetitve decks because our card pool is frankly very limited at this stage.

I feel like we only have a handful of reliable decks currently, and that's ok.  It's just a Core Set and a handful of extra Objective sets.  The fact that I can a solid and capable deck centred around the card pools of the 4 main affiliations gives me enough variety on a casual level to keep it interesting enough, knowing more cards are going to be trickling in now through summer when we get to the Edge of Darkness.

By the time we get there, we'll be able to have proper Smugglers and Scum decks in addition to the other affiliations, plus have the Hoth Cycle under our belts.  In terms of options for something to take to a tournament, this will be when deck building really will become a game in itself, especially when you temper the design over the tournament rules and try and make your deck handle the tie breaker situations.

If I was going to a tournament prior to Desolation's release, there'd be no question; Jedi/Han for my Light Side, for instance.  I think Tiny and scarletnite have done an excellent job of digging into a lot of these topics so far on their also-young podcast.  But, as in depth as it is, it's an hour of content released on a bi-weekly schedule.  If FFG had a huge shortfall on Desolation's release, I don't know how many more shows they'd be able to put out that dug into the same amount of analysis without having to either shorten the length or pad it out with tournament reports on the same handful of decks and how they're winning.

So let's all just patiently wait until Worlds, GenCon and the release of all the Hoth Cycle and Edge of Darkness content.  Then you'll start to see a lot of "big names" emerge, because we'll all have more to talk about and research beyond the venerable Core Set.

#14 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

jhorphear said:

You're kind of a jerk. Only Magic can support people who get paid for writing about it. No other card game can do it because they are all more about fun and there isn't a money scene. I have no problem with someone who loves the game making a website and trying to get people who also love the game to write about it. Stop being a jerk. My only problem was with the "money" events because I don't think it's going to happen. If he was able to get 100 people at an event he'd need them all to pay $100 for a chance to make up $10,000. That doesn't include any profit and or money for the host. LCGs just aren't built for monied events. I think that's the bad idea and I hope it is dropped.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS