Forum navigation, can it improve?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I sent an e-mail to the web master weeks ago and have not heard back, so I thought I would propose my suggestion to the community and see if you are experiencing what I am.

I have a smart phone and often browse and post on the forums away from home.  This involves some zooming in and out to search and read categories and threads, however, I find the current set-up difficult to navigate on a phone.  Chiefly the "page" selection at the top and bottom of each category.  Currently the way to get to the next page looks like this:

« First page… 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 …Last page »

In order to get to the next page I have to zoom way in so my finger tip will choose the correct number.  I proposed that it could be changed to this:

« First page… Previous page… 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page …Last page »

There is more than enough room for this and it seems too intuitive to me not to do this.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

#2 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Eh, this isn't exactly a top of the line forum.  I'm sure there are many improvements that could be made.  It seems the entire Fantasy Flight Games website uses the same forum.  I dunno if there is a technical support or general discussion area.  Maybe you can post there?

#3 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

rowdyoctopus said:

Eh, this isn't exactly a top of the line forum.  I'm sure there are many improvements that could be made.  It seems the entire Fantasy Flight Games website uses the same forum.  I dunno if there is a technical support or general discussion area.  Maybe you can post there?

I already sent it to who I thought would address this kind of issue, but received no response. So I thought it would be worth asking others that use this forum if they felt similar.  If not then it may just be me and no reason to persue it any further.

#4 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I guess what I was trying to say is that I agree it can improve, but overall I'm not too worried about it because its not like anything is broken.

#5 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Sunsteel said:

rowdyoctopus said:

I already sent it to who I thought would address this kind of issue, but received no response. So I thought it would be worth asking others that use this forum if they felt similar.  If not then it may just be me and no reason to persue it any further.

I've had the same thought a couple of times. My only objection is that fixing this issue would be a bit like putting a new coat of paint on a house that's infested with termites--they have to take care of the root problems first.

#6 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Namely.. how frickin slow the forum is. typically it takes 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load.

#7 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Daeglan said:

Namely.. how frickin slow the forum is. typically it takes 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load.

15 to 30 seconds….your lucky….hell, it took a minute and half just to load the page so i could make a response. These forums suck!!!!! The forums not the people on them.

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#8 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

They guys who actually built the forums seem to be Edge Studio, which appears to be associated with Edge Entertainment, which in turn somehow appears to be the French and Spanish distributor of FFG products. They're definitely Spanish and not French, too, because the file and path names for all functionality are in spanish (like "edge_atencion.asp" and "edge_contacto.asp").

So I guess if you want the horrible and sluggish forum functionality improved, you'd have to ask those guys. My guess, preferrably in Spanish.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#9 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

haslo said:

They guys who actually built the forums seem to be Edge Studio, which appears to be associated with Edge Entertainment, which in turn somehow appears to be the French and Spanish distributor of FFG products. They're definitely Spanish and not French, too, because the file and path names for all functionality are in spanish (like "edge_atencion.asp" and "edge_contacto.asp").

So I guess if you want the horrible and sluggish forum functionality improved, you'd have to ask those guys. My guess, preferrably in Spanish.

I didn't see this much enlightenment coming from my question but thank you for the information.

I thought all the slow load times were due to my connection speed.  At least the X-Wing product isn't having the problems this web site is!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS