Old Ben's Spirit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Interrupt: When enhanced unit would be destroyed, instead discard this enhancement and remove all damage from that unit.

So this even protects against force lightening right?

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, it prevents any destruction of the unit.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Also, using Old Ben's Spirit to save your character from a Force Lightning will still remove any damage they have.  Which is nice… for the LS :-)

#4 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Question about this card (instead of making a new thread for it)

What happens in this case:

Ben is hit by the Coruscant Defense Fleet. Ben has alredy 2 damage on him. One of the 5 unit damage icons hit Ben killing him. What happens to the other four?

I think they all hit him at once, the Spirit goes off and then Ben is back to zero damage. Thoughts?

#5 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

All damage is dealt at the same time. So your unit with Ben's spirit will live with 0 damage on it.

#6 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

Does anyone else find it thematically odd that you can enhance "Obi-Wan Kenobi" with "Old Ben's Spirit"?

#7 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Blade_Runner said:

Does anyone else find it thematically odd that you can enhance "Obi-Wan Kenobi" with "Old Ben's Spirit"?

Minor details. 

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Blade_Runner said:

I'm ok with the break in theme for gameplay purposes in this case.

#9 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

My comment wasn't a complaint, just seeing if anyone else was thinking the same thing.

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Blade_Runner said:

My comment wasn't a complaint, just seeing if anyone else was thinking the same thing.

I know… I originally had typed up a bit more analyzing what the consequences would be if it couldn't play on Obi-Wan, but I couldn't quite make it coherent so I ended up cutting it down.

#11 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

It might have made a bit more thematic sense if the card was named "Obi-Wan Kenobi" with a uniqueness diamond, so you could only have one in play at a time and would have to choose between the enhancement or the unit, but it would also drastically hamper its utility.

As for ways to deal with it as Dark Side, one word: capture. It stops death by damage, it stops instant death effects, it does jack squat against capturing. If the Light decks in your meta are overly reliant on that skeevy old ghost, counter with Take Them Prisoner (Detained can capture the unit, Tear This Ship Apart can take out OBS itself, but that's only useful if they don't have its objective out or you can kill the unit before they can get OBS back) and Boba Fett.

#12 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

ok, I have an odd timing issue question about this card.

Say I have the Spirit on, say, an 1 health unit. And he is Force Choked with Sith Vader sitting out.

Is this the correct timing?

Force Choke

Spirit

and then Vader's ability?

I would say yes because Spirit is an Interrupt, but just thought I would ask. Besides what knucklehead would play out that scenerio?

Force ChokeDarth VaderTwi'lek LoyalistOld Ben's Spirit

and of course while posting this I remembered the entry in the FAQ:

Interrupt and Reaction Priority

In the case where both interrupt and reaction abilities could be taken from the same triggering condition––interrupt effects have a priority, and must be initiated and resolved first. (Interrupts will always be used and resolve before the triggering condition itself, the triggering condition will resolve second, and reactions to that condition will be used and reasolve third.)

So I guess I answered my own question……………

#13 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Obi-Wan Kenobi is better when he has Spirit!

*rimshot

And the capture mechanic is perfect against this card (which means I might have to start running Boba Fett. *shudders*

Top Tier Gaming, a fan website dedicated to X-Wing Miniatures and Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/jmcb1001

#14 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

JMCB said:

Obi-Wan Kenobi is better when he has Spirit!

*rimshot

And the capture mechanic is perfect against this card (which means I might have to start running Boba Fett. *shudders*

Yes, Detained against a double spirited Obi Wan was nice. 

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Last game I was set up to use Tear This Ship Apart on Old Ben's Spirit right before dealing the last bit of damage to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Didn't get a chance to use it, though because I won with a Superlaser Blast. I think Tear This Ship Apart is another great way to deal with Old Ben's Spirit.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#16 JMCB

JMCB

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

TGO said:

Man, why do you have to ruin my good night and remind me of that? =P

Top Tier Gaming, a fan website dedicated to X-Wing Miniatures and Star Wars: The Card Game - http://toptiergaming.com
Follow us on Twitter - @toptiergaming
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/toptiergaming
Streaming games on Twitch - twitch.tv/jmcb1001

#17 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

JMCB said:

TGO said:

Man, why do you have to ruin my good night and remind me of that? =P

Because you rubbed in the loss to the bad icetromper deck.  apesta

#18 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Does anyone else sorta wish the card had been called Jedi Spirit instead, so that you're not in a situation where Obi-Wan is being protected by two spirits of himself?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#19 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

MarthWMaster said:

Does anyone else sorta wish the card had been called Jedi Spirit instead, so that you're not in a situation where Obi-Wan is being protected by two spirits of himself?

Thematically I am torn because I like that the card is called "Old Ben's Spirit" due to how Obi-Wan Kenobi is able to help and assist Luke throughout the original trilogy, but it does create an awkward situation with protecting Obi-Wan with his own spirit.  When "Old Ben's Spirit" is played on Obi-Wan Kenobi, I guess the enhancement could be interpreted as a moment when Obi-Wan utilizes his own force/spiritual power to project himself in a way that most Jedi/Characters cannot. 

Similar to the Decipher SW:CCG, the decks we make are not going to be 100% congruent with the events and storyline of the original trilogy.  IMHO I think the game offers alternative possibilities for how things could have played out between the LS and DS. 

#20 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I swear I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it now.

I had Boba Fett vs. Luke with Old Ben's Spirit (and a bunch of other enhancements to boot!). I won the edge and dealt the finishing blow to Luke. Old Ben's Spirit kicked in and removed all damage counters. Then Fett's reaction came into play. I would say that he dealt damage, even if the damage counters were removed by Old Ben's Spirit, so Fett captures Luke and discards all the enhancements.

I could also envision someone arguing that no damage was done since Luke is undamaged after Old Ben's Spirit takes effect, but I don't think that's right.

What do you guys think?

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS