Special Weapons of the Famous Regiments

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Some of the most famous regiments in the galaxy are known for their distinctive gear. A Catachan would sooner lose his hand than his knife. The lasgun that a Vostroyan wields is a symbol of his lineage extending back into history. The Death Korps of Krieg utilize powerful modified lasguns in combat.

Has anyone taken a swing at these distinctive weapons?

Catachan Knives come in three varieties: the Catachan Fang is probably most easily written out as a Best-craftsmanship Knife, while a Night Reaper (used for nighttime ambushes) would likely have Tearing and Toxic (1), and the massive Devil's Fang would be a Mono-sword with Tearing and/or Razor-Sharp.

The Death Korps do not use the common M36 Lasgun, instead trusting in the slower but more powerful Lucius-pattern. The Lucius fires more slowly (perhaps lower the RoF to S/2/- or even S/-/-) but hits harder. I'm torn between 1d10+4 Pen 1 or 1d10+5 Pen 0.

The Tallarn Desert Raiders utilize the long-barelled Mars-pattern Lasgun. I feel like it is represented just fine by a Long-las.

The Elysian Drop Troops have standard Lascarbines.

I feel like the age of a Vostroyan Lasgun is best represented with two Weapon Customizations on it.

Any others?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#2 Armour

Armour

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Seems pretty good to me!

I'd gve the Tallarns a Long-Las without the Felling property, though.  In fact, I have no idea how it has it.  It may be because the OW writers felt that snipers should be able to one-shot space marines, but that really seems out of place in the setting to me.  It will also be ridiculously effective against Orks and larger Tyranids, as well.

Given as standard kit, it would trivialise these enemy types against Tallarns, which I doubt is the intention.  Otherwise, just give a regular M36 the Accurate property?

#3 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Plushy said:

Some of the most famous regiments in the galaxy are known for their distinctive gear. A Catachan would sooner lose his hand than his knife. The lasgun that a Vostroyan wields is a symbol of his lineage extending back into history. The Death Korps of Krieg utilize powerful modified lasguns in combat.

Has anyone taken a swing at these distinctive weapons?

Catachan Knives come in three varieties: the Catachan Fang is probably most easily written out as a Best-craftsmanship Knife, while a Night Reaper (used for nighttime ambushes) would likely have Tearing and Toxic (1), and the massive Devil's Fang would be a Mono-sword with Tearing and/or Razor-Sharp.

The Death Korps do not use the common M36 Lasgun, instead trusting in the slower but more powerful Lucius-pattern. The Lucius fires more slowly (perhaps lower the RoF to S/2/- or even S/-/-) but hits harder. I'm torn between 1d10+4 Pen 1 or 1d10+5 Pen 0.

The Tallarn Desert Raiders utilize the long-barelled Mars-pattern Lasgun. I feel like it is represented just fine by a Long-las.

The Elysian Drop Troops have standard Lascarbines.

I feel like the age of a Vostroyan Lasgun is best represented with two Weapon Customizations on it.

Any others?

Firstly i don't think any regiment needs more than 1 signature weapon and so Catachan's getting 3 different blades is overkill.

I'd opt for 1d10+5 Pen0 on the Lucius Pattern - penetration is the realm of hot shot las weaponry.

Tallarn should have a standard M36 with S/-/- fire mode and slightly increased range (maybe +25m range) otherwise no change.

Elysian's actually use bullpup lasguns though how Only War has statted up bullpup weapons basically means they have no niche and thus no purpose other than looking different. From a technical point of view a bullpup configuration keeps a good barrell length while shortening the overall length of the weapon, thus making it somewhere between a carbine and a full rifle - Only War doesn't give it benefits of either of these.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#4 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Couldn't/Shouldn't things like this be handled by the points for regimental kit?

#5 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Tallarn Mars-pattern Lasgun: M36 Lasgun with S/-/- and Accurate.

Krieg Lucius-pattern Lasgun: M36 Lasgun with S/-/- and 1d10+5 E.

Perhaps boil the Catachan knife down to just being a Mono-knife with Toxic (1)?

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS