• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi there,

Had some fun cooking up some stats for the Z-95 Headhunter.  I realise there's a possibility that it will be a next-wave release, but I enjoy homebrewing!

Z-95 Headhunter
A 2, D 2, H 2, Sh 2

Actions: Focus, Target Lock

23pts  Corran Horn, PS 8, Elite Talent
Moving On: Whenever your first attack in a turn destroys an enemy ship, you may immediately make a second attack against another target in range.

21pts  Pash Cracken, PS 6, Elite Talent
Imperial Education: Add Evade to the ship's Action Bar

18pts  Bandit Squadron Pilot, PS 4

16pts  Rookie Pilot, PS 2

Manoeuvres as an X-wing but with a red 4 Straight

​Love to hear your thoughts!

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#2 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

1/270 Z-95s are out there.  You need a link?  I think I can dig it up again. 

Nice numbers.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#3 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I like the stats/idea, but shouldn't they be a little cheaper? For one point more a rookie in one of these becomes a prototype pilot with a much better action bar and a much better maniver dial, plus the ability to carry missiels.

#4 Disgruntled

Disgruntled

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

oh, and they get an extra evade die comparded to a z-95

#5 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, I originally pegged the Rookie (Trainee?) at 15pts… so it could go back there.  This would lower the Bandit Sqn pilot to 17.  The others could be left where they are.  And the Z-95 does have the missiles.

Viceroy Bolda, that'd be great, if possible.  Thanks.

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#6 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

http://www.shapeways...abezas-2-0.html

http://www.shapeways...azacabezas.html

Not sure about the bases here.

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#7 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

I wondered if the Headhunter would be better in Imperial hands because of Mara jade but thinking about it… it would make a better Rebel swarmer. Corran kind of feels wasted on the Z-95, but so is Steele on the TIE Advanced. Looks good!

#8 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Thanks, Norsehound.  And thanks for those links, Bolda.

#9 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

Here's an update for you…

I have upped the Hull value by one based on the SAGA edition RPG stats, and reduced the cost thanks to comments received in this thread.  I also took out Corran Horn from the flight roster, and replaced him with Ace Azzameen, a Bandit Squadron pilot of some repute.  And thanks to Jason Fuller's card generator, enjoy the following!

(All of the art is used without permission of any owners, stated or otherwise.  I'm happy to get in contact with those owners about permission, but could find very little online to point me in the right direction.  No assumption of ownership on my part or challenge to ownership is intended or implied.)

#10 GeneralBergfrühling

GeneralBergfrühling

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Nice pilot cards ^^ … but hull value of 3? ist that a bit high?

I liked Corran ability better ;)

#11 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

The Z-95 is also slower than an X-Wing.

#12 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

esmolinski said:

The Z-95 is also slower than an X-Wing.

in the first post, I've put that the Z-95 has the same manoeuvres as the X-wing but with a red 4-straight.

With regards to the hull points, like I said, the Starships of the Galaxy book for SAGA edition has both these ships at the same amount of HP and shields, the same amount of damage resistance and shields. I'm not sure if the Z-95 appears in WEG's books, but I'll take a look. I think partially the difficulty is in how small the values are. For instance, the differnece between Hull 2 and 3 is statistically huge, butthe difference between 110hp and 120hp is not. The other cool thing about the card generator is it gives you a 'based on these stats, the ship probably should be this many points'. The Z-95 at this level is consistently underpriced.

#13 esmolinski

esmolinski

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Information from wookipedia about the headhunter.

http://starwars.wiki...Z-95_Headhunter

I do also want to state that I actually like it when people post ideas about potential pilots for vehicles not already made. I think you did a outstanding job. It actually gets people thinking what could work for this game. However I personally think the Z-95 is too weak to make a ship and there are no game changing abilities it would bring. The only way I see it working is if you actually put the Corran Horn back in for his game changing ability, although since the Z-95 does not have an astromech capability you would be leaving Whistler out (which for the EU fans would be a shame).

#14 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I see what you're saying.  I just looked up the WEG stats for it too, and Hull and Shields on the two ships (X-wing and Z-95) are identical there too.  We're going to do some playtesting and see where we get to.  (And for the record, I think Corran Horn's pilot ability is pretty cool too!)

#15 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Norsehound said:

I wondered if the Headhunter would be better in Imperial hands because of Mara jade but thinking about it… it would make a better Rebel swarmer.

This Mindset is something I never understood around here, provided you don't play Tourny:

If you're already houseruling, where's the problem letting both sides field headhunters? Nobody worries about playing Rebels vs. Rebels in a Tourny, so where is the problem fielding Rebels with a Firespray in a normal game? Rebels are notorious for stealing Equipment and using whats availiable, so it's even more canon than X-Wings vs X-Wings  :)

Firesprays and Headhunters are extremly good examples of Ships both sides could use (although the Z's could rather be local militia bound to the empire)

..and for you guys wanting a third faction:

• The old Y Wings (maybe without Astromechs),
  • YT's even inlcuding the MF, Han was a smuggler after all)
  • Firesprays
  • and Z'

s are already four Ships you could use as Pirates, Smugglers, Militia or Black Sun without (imho) breaking any canon. If you want to go all the way you can make your own Pilot Cards and if you're concernd about balancing then use the rules from the existing Pilots and just rename them.

Sure, matching up Firesprays and YTs could make Combos not tested in the official playtesting and maybe tipping a scale, but if thats really a concern then you have to live with what is out now or go look for some less munchkinny opponents.

If not: Go crazy! I, personally, really love the homebrews i've seen so farand Kudos! for the Ideas in this Thread! I really love the Idea that an ex Imperial Pilot gains the Evade Action!

Other Example (@mods: I hope it's ok to post non FFG stuff, if not im happy to remove it) some german guy took some firestorm armada ships and turned them into mandalorians:

He uses them as Interceptors to avoid balancing problems

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS