Northern VA Tourney Sunday 17th March

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Game Parlor in Chantilly, VA ran a Tourney today, thank you to Chris our TO.

3 rounds, 60 minute games

I took the flying aces.

Vader, Stealth Device and Concussion Missiles

Soontir Fell, Stealth Device and Push the Limit

Turr Phennir, Stealth Device and Push the Limit

Round 1

I faced my friend Ron;

Bounty Hunter, Gunner and Heavy laser Cannon

Vader, Homing Missiles

Tempest Squadron Pilot

The Aces just out manuvered Ron's list, using Evade and Focus actions on my ships, followed by green moves to drop stress I just tucked in and blasted away, staying mainly beyond his fire arcs.

Both Vader and the Bounty Hunter went down to NO hits at all to my ships.

Win by 79pts.

Round 2

Faced another regular at the shop.

I don't have his exact list, but it was Han, Chewie and Luke Falcon with other bits and loaded out Wedge.

Wedge went down in the second round to a full load from my three ships.

Han lasted 3 more turns.

I lost 1 Hull point.

100 pt win

Round 3

This was against my friend Tim. (Tim regularly stomps me :-) )

He had

Wedge

Garven Dries

2 x Rookie Pilots.

Wedge went down early, then he took out Soontir, I managed to smoke Garven next and then we ran out of time. We did some serious manuvering this game. I got a 25 pt win.

This gave me 13 points from 15 and the tourney win.

The ability of this list to take 2 actions a turn and then easily shed stress meant that I always had 4 defense dice base plus Focus plus Evade if I was in fire arcs. If I was out of arcs, more options opened up.

I have to say, this list is REAL filthy and will only see the light of day at Tourney

Thx to my opponents for great games.

Pete

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#2 Musicman4163

Musicman4163

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

If you don't mind sharing, what were some of your maneuvering tactics with this squad. The list has peaked my interest.

#3 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, Dodge!

Then he throws a wrench at you! :-)

#4 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Keep the squad in close formation for concentrating fire on one opponent until it goes down. Use 2 actions every turn, then use the numerous green moves to shed stress. Repeat.

Try and stay out of fire arcs, but you're fairly safe if you fall into one.

If you are in a fire arc, Focus and Evade, if not focus and whatever else helps.

If you are able get into range 1.

I took out a fully decked Falcon with shield upgrade and Chewie crew in 3 rounds. Wedge took exactly 1 round.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#5 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Pete…I took your build against my co-worker during lunch….two quick games…both against the same builds.

Vader, Turr, Soontir all with Stealth, Interceptors with PTL and Vader w/Concussion Missiles vs Lando and Chewie both with gunner, Chewie with Expose.

Note: The YT-1300 360 firing arc totally eliminates the maneuverability of the Ties.

Game One:

1st round finds Soontir and Turr at Range 3 to Chewie, both fire and hit. Chewie fires misses.

2nd round: Lando and Chewie move straight, Imps are lined up on Chewie, Vader at range 3.

1. Vader fires Concussion missiles, Chewie doesn't evade, 4 hits.
  2. Soontir Fires at Chewie…wittles him down.
  3. Lando fires at Soontir.
  4. Turr fires at Chewie….Chewie is crying for Han at this point.
  5. Chewie fires at Turr--ouch.

3rd round: Chewie gets taken out, Lando takes out Soontir. Vader chasing Lando, at range 1.

4-6 rounds…Shooting Lando…Imps win.

Game two:

1st round:

1. Get Turr at range 3 to chewie, but chewie expose's himself to roll 4 dice, and connects.  Stealth gone, one damage.
  2. Soontir gets a rg3 shot at Chewie, hits…not bad.

2nd round:

1. Turr and Soontir maneuver to avoid asteroid, but guess wrong on Chewie and Lando's moves.  More damage on the interceptors.
  2. Vader w/Concussion missiles to Chewie….4 hits.
  3. Lando fires at Vader, rg 3, I get FIVE defense dice…ALL BLANK!!!!!! Vader is crying for the Emperor!
  4. Chewie fires at Vader….BOOM!

3rd round:

1. Chewie and Lando maneuver, Tie's have them in their sites (but because of the 360 arc--they have me also)
  2. Soontir fires…takes out Chewie.
  3. Turr fires hits Lando.
  4. Lando fires takes out Soontir.

4th round:

1. Turr is chasing Lando, puts a couple hits on him…
  2. Lando destroys Turr at rg 1.

I really liked flying the 3 ship build, but the 2 YT-1300 build is probably the only one that can consistently fire at them, with the exception of the Y-wing w/ ION turret.

Both games were about 40-45 mins.

~Ron

#6 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

2 YT's is the list that my list would fear, but it's highly unlikely you'll face it if you didn't set it up specifically knowing what I was bringing.

Not overly afraid of the Y-Wing, it's annoying, but it will struggle to get a hit and the aces will pelt it first. Unless it's Horton, all three of mine shoot first and you'll probably be dead after that.

2 Y-Wings are worse, but then your other ships aren't going to be the best.

We'll have to try it out :-)

I'm working up a rebel aces list as well.

Also, were you Evading and Focussing every round? Especially on Soontir who gets 2 focus?

#7 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Oh yeah, every chance I got, focus / evade. The bad thing with 2 YTs is that the only upgrade you can fit is gunner, and expose equivalent on one of them.  Unless you run the ORS..and he doesn't have the stats to run with the aces, IMO.

all about trying to beat the aces!

#8 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

Agreed,

I'll be flying them quite a bit so we can find the weaknesses. I want to use them in the Regionals.

That or my rebel aces which will also be getting some test time :-)

#9 Vespid

Vespid

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

@EnglishPete.  I really like this build and have played a few games with it.  What are your thoughts on removing PTL from Turr and giving him Veteran Instincts.  That makes all pilots PS 9.  With the remaining points give Vader Elusiveness or Expert Handling.  Just curious as to your thoughts or if you have tried it.  Having PTL on Turr really works, but he gets 2 actions a turn (barrel roll or boost exclusively) if he fires.  I haven't had a chance to playtest it so let me know what you think.  Thanks.

#10 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hey there, sorry for the late reply.

I haven't tried him with Vi instead of PtL. I'm inclined to stay with PtL, being able to focus and evade every turn seems more valuable than shooting a little earlier.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS