9 replies to this topic

#1 boooh

boooh

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hi together

what's the range to detect a gunshot ?

Am I overreading the part all the time or isn't there any ?

The only thing i've got is the part with the silencer where it say's that you can make an awareness test with an additional -20 and only with half the normal range. So what's the normal range and whats the normal modifier ?

If there's any covering part in one of the books I'd appreciate a page number.

#2 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

None that I have seen. Probably the easiest way to do it is based on the bonus/penalty to hit and a secondary modifier based on the caliber (1d10 is quieter than 1d10+2 which is more than 1d10+4 Pen 2)

#3 boooh

boooh

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

As there seems none rules clarification. So I was just thinkin of makin it a hard awareness test 

and using the weaponrange as the basic range so only people within half the weaponsrange can make this test.

With non military training myself i've only common media as  reference (knowing TV isnt the best source for comparison)

so asking the players with actuall knowledge here would this be usable ?

How hard is it to notice a weapon fired with a silencer ?

Reason is that the next game our group has to infiltrate a camp in the underhive trying to not setting of the big alarms til we're near the inner circle (witch would be a useless plan if it is to easy to notice each shot)

#4 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Outdoors you can hear a gunshot for miles, but in the underhive? That place is a maze of crumbled ruins and working machinery. I imagine the "walls" are groaning with sounds of pipes adjusting to pressure changes, gears moving, the rythmic thuds of distant factories and generators sending vibrations through the metallic support-structure of the hive, etc etc.

Basically, it will be a cacophony that will drown anything further away than, I dunno… just as far as you'd like :)

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#5 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Darth Smeg said:

Outdoors you can hear a gunshot for miles, but in the underhive? That place is a maze of crumbled ruins and working machinery. I imagine the "walls" are groaning with sounds of pipes adjusting to pressure changes, gears moving, the rythmic thuds of distant factories and generators sending vibrations through the metallic support-structure of the hive, etc etc.

Basically, it will be a cacophony that will drown anything further away than, I dunno… just as far as you'd like :)

Add to that the fact that by the time you heard a gunshot, it has either gone past you or hit you. Unless the shot comes from very far away, in the order or 1000+ meters, you won't ever have time to reach to the noise, much less move something as large as a sword in front of something as small as a bullet. Essentially, it's impossible.

Edit: Ah, I've made a mistake. Any gun capable of hitting you from more than a kilometer away will kill you before you can hear it. Considering the fact that many of those weapons fire a bullet that is literally faster than the speed of sound.

#6 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Cymbel said:

None that I have seen. Probably the easiest way to do it is based on the bonus/penalty to hit and a secondary modifier based on the caliber (1d10 is quieter than 1d10+2 which is more than 1d10+4 Pen 2)

An excellent idea for a modifier.  I tip my hat to you, Cymbel.  Environmental factors are up to the GM, but at least with this as a guideline for characters looking to plan clandestine operations.

#7 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Here is the funny thing, I had been in that exact situation and couldn't think of anything then BAM reading his answer I get the idea, so simple and quick. That said, it isn't perfect, but it adds something (and encourages acolytes not to use heavy caliber guns always)

#8 FieserMoep

FieserMoep

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

Cymbel said:

(and encourages acolytes not to use heavy caliber guns always)

There is something different?^^

#9 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

:P How many times do you find yourself using a dinky 1d10 pistol when a higher caliber (damage) is available? See Encarmine VS Talon Mk 3 XD

#10 Phi6891

Phi6891

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I'm just going to bring up this thread that was discussing the same problem of hearing a gun shot. Now this is almost 2 years old by the way.

http://www.fantasyfl...46&efidt=449182

I don't know if this helps at all.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS