• 838 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Okay, where's the Battle Report?

#3 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Squad Leader is useless in that list.  You have no ships with a lower pilot skill and so cannot give a free action.  

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 5 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s<p>Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas

#4 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yeah… forgot about that SL stipulation.  Traded it out for a 2nd Draw Their Fire to make a 99 pt build today.  It was pretty fun.

Boba's ability + Boost + an offensive/defensive action through PtL kept him out of the crosshairs while he tore through the rear and side arcs of the OP4. Draw Their Fire totally bought the Firespray a couple extra rounds in the later stages of the battle.

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Well, then, I'm definitely going to have to try Engine Upgrade on Boba Fett.

Did you use most of your weapons and upgrades throughout the match, or did some of them just take up space? I've noticed (as have others) that it's hard to get them all fired off. Personally, I like having lots of options because you never know when that stuff will come in handy. Saturday was the second time this month that I was dealt a Munitions Failure card and had to discard a secondary weapon. Fortunately, both times I had Proton Torpedoes so I didn't have to discard my ion cannon (the first time this was with Horton, and Saturday it was with Krassis). That worked out quite nicely.

#6 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Parakitor said:

Did you use most of your weapons and upgrades throughout the match, or did some of them just take up space? I've noticed (as have others) that it's hard to get them all fired off. Personally, I like having lots of options because you never know when that stuff will come in handy. Saturday was the second time this month that I was dealt a Munitions Failure card and had to discard a secondary weapon. Fortunately, both times I had Proton Torpedoes so I didn't have to discard my ion cannon (the first time this was with Horton, and Saturday it was with Krassis). That worked out quite nicely.

Excellent observation.

I've played with the Firespray a lot since the Kessel Run. I'll break down my observations by weapon.

The HLC is glorious. Out of a couple dozen games or so, I tend fire it off twice or more in a single match. The only instances where I've fired it fewer than twice have been when my opponent's force was decimated and hunted down quickly. The HLC is so good in fact, that often when given the option of target lock + missile in a given turn, I usually choose to fire the HLC + a re-roll instead.

The Assault Missile has gone unfired in several matches, and in a couple of the matches that it was fired off early, it dealt no damage. Usually I fire it off when I can hit 3-4 ships with it to maximize its potential, but I've become less precious with it, being content to deal damage to 2-3 ships instead. In games that I didn't fire it off, its mere existence has been threatening enough to tempt my opponent to spread out their forces. I think the psychology of the missile can prove more effective than actually hitting several ships at once; divide and conquer is a super effective strategy.

I have only fired off the Proton Torpedoes twice ever, and even then, only to moderate effect. I have sacrificed it to the Munitions Failure once as well, sparing my precious HLC. I'm on the fence about keeping them, 4 points is just on the cusp of too much to pay for an upgrade that's usually just a back-up.

I've played with the Proximity Mine with mixed results, having out right destroyed ships as well as doing no damage at all. I prefer the Seismic Charges because they are guaranteed damage and tend to do more total damage than the mines. They've gone unused a few times, but more often than not, I wish I had them in builds where I skipped them.

I usually don't bother with a co-pilot. I've gotten limited use out of the ones I've used, but it seldom feels worth the points. That said, if you have the points to spare it can totally make the difference between getting shot by an extra opposing ship or not; and that much luck mitigation can often decide the game.

#7 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Good thoughts, paradox23. I must say that I agree with you on all points. But it's hard for me not to choose a crew member because only one ship from each faction can take that upgrade.

EDIT: And so far Weapons Engineer is my favorite Crew upgrade card.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS