Physical currency feedback

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm new to WFRP, and tabletop RPGs in general, but will be GM'ing my first session next Sunday. If I'm going to ease my group into the transition from boardgames into tabletop role-play, one thing I'll need to change is how currency is (or isn't) handled in WFRP. One thing I've picked up from my group more than anything is  that they fricken LOVE playing around with boardgame coins.

So I dusted off the old photoshop and took a stab at making some lore appropriate coins for the game. This is what I'm sitting at now, which is original art I've created and own. 

So what are your thoughts? You can find descriptions of Imperial currency on page 70 of the base rule book. If it were up to me, the brass coins would be more crude, but unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the die cutter, which can only do squares, circles, and hexigons. 

For my first session, I'm planning on printing 500 chipboard coins total, which will consist of 150 brass, 300 silver (valuated at 5s or 10s apiece), and 50 gold pieces. Do you guys think this will be enough for our first session if all the player character's start out "broke" or "poor?"

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

If you are interested. In "The Old world Armoury" book of the warhammer fantasy rpg 2nd edition you can find drawings of the "real" coins of the Empire.

As a side note, if you want to make a transition from boardgames to rpgs, you picked up the right rpg.

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yepesnopes said:

If you are interested. In "The Old world Armoury" book of the warhammer fantasy rpg 2nd edition you can find drawings of the "real" coins of the Empire.

As a side note, if you want to make a transition from boardgames to rpgs, you picked up the right rpg.

Cheers,

Yepes

Thanks Yepes!

I don't have access to the 2e rulebook, but I may stop by my LGS later this week; maybe they'll have an unsealed copy that I can peek at.

(edit) Nevermind! I found an online resource that has scans of these images. Thanks Yepes!

#4 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

How many players do you have?  Assuming just 3 or 4 that should be plenty of coins I would think.  

*Edit* Those coins do look frikkin' sweet btw.  How much is it going to cost you, and is it hard to do?  It really makes me want to do them for my group.  My group is the same boat, board gamers that transitioned to RPGs thanks to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition.  It worked great in that capacity for us.  

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I made a stack out of smashed and painted pennies for 4 players:

* 5 x 5gc  (quarters worked better for this)

*10x1gc

*20x 10silver

*50x 1silver

*25x 5brass (these are smeared with green and black paint)

Half of my players use them.  The other half are lame :)

#6 SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Kartigan said:

How many players do you have?  Assuming just 3 or 4 that should be plenty of coins I would think.  

*Edit* Those coins do look frikkin' sweet btw.  How much is it going to cost you, and is it hard to do?  It really makes me want to do them for my group.  My group is the same boat, board gamers that transitioned to RPGs thanks to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition.  It worked great in that capacity for us.  

Thanks! I just got the Adventurer's toolkit today to add the 4th PC. So if everyone shows up as planned, then we'll try the tutorial campaign with 4 adventurers. 

The 500 coins will cost $45 to have Print n Play Productions print them double-sided onto heavy chipboard, plus $10 flatrate shipping.

I devoted an afternoon and evening to research before deciding to go with custom printed lore appropriate chipboard coins. Plastic coins go for about $5 - $10 for around 100 coins, but they're not in brass, silver, and gold denominations, not to mention they're not lore friendly. Then if you want it done absolutely right, http://www.campaigncoins.com/ charges an arm and a leg for legitimate looking/feeling coins, but it's too rich for my blood. So photoshopping my own and having them printed by PnP seemed like an obvious choice to me.

If you guys are interested, once I've placed my order and made some final adjustments, I can ask PnP to keep my WFRP coin art on their store so others can order it. I fully own the art so Games Workshop and/or FFG can't come after me or PnP for reselling these coins. :)

Emirikol said:

I made a stack out of smashed and painted pennies for 4 players:

* 5 x 5gc  (quarters worked better for this)

*10x1gc

*20x 10silver

*50x 1silver

*25x 5brass (these are smeared with green and black paint)

That's a pretty sweet idea. Do you have clearer photos of the coins?

Emirikol said:

Half of my players use them.  The other half are lame :)

Bummer dude! I hate it when people fail to appreciate it when we "pimp out" our games. :D

Maybe try providing incentives to use the coins, like fortune tokens, if they roleplay with the coins.

Here's a render of what a silver coin may look like when printed (note: it's about the size of a penny).

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Here are some pictures of the metal coins I did.  I didn't need to spend too much time on them after hammering them out (I just flatten them with a hammer using a sledge as an anvil).  I painted them and used some paint for tint and a sharpie for demarcation.  Quarters work best for the large gold because they can be made plain better than zinc pennies.

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Note how I deliberately made the brass-tier coins filthy, made the silver somewhat tarnished, and the gold are shiny and new :)

I've also got som acrylic gems, but I don't think I'll be using them. 

Players store their character stuff in gallon zyplock bags so there's no losing of all of our stuff.

Regarding the brass-tier, make them into 5's.  There's no reason to have thousands of those suckers as they aren't really even worth tracking unless you're playing an uber-poor campaign.

jh

#9 SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Emirikol said:

Note how I deliberately made the brass-tier coins filthy, made the silver somewhat tarnished, and the gold are shiny and new :)

I've also got som acrylic gems, but I don't think I'll be using them. 

Players store their character stuff in gallon zyplock bags so there's no losing of all of our stuff.

Regarding the brass-tier, make them into 5's.  There's no reason to have thousands of those suckers as they aren't really even worth tracking unless you're playing an uber-poor campaign.

jh

Nice job on the coins man. I bet the feel and sound alone add a lot to the game, except for the dorks that refuse to use them. :P

#10 Delwyn

Delwyn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wanting to spice up the game with some nice physical coins, I forked out a bunch of $$$ for Realm Coins from MusedFable.com   While the designs aren't a match for the Empire, they do make very nice props and my players do seem to enjoy playing with them… it also makes for a much greater impact when a pickpocket comes along and lifts their coin purse and the player has to hand the things back without receiving anything in return :)

#11 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

I'd like to get a set or two of those.  Please let me know if they keep your design on file.  Or can you send me copies of the designs and I'll order them myself?  Thanks   SJMazzella3380@yahoo.com

#12 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

I use the campaign coins made by that Australian firm:

http://www.campaignc...orum/index.html

They are quite expensive including shipping but worth every penny. Brass is Brass, Silver and Gold coins count as silver coins. I have no per se real gold coins but 100 silver are easily counted as one real gold crown. I hvae  skipped completely their platinum coins as they are too shiny.

Only tip would be to skip 2er and 20er coins as my players cant realy grasp them. :)

When a boss drops his bag of coins they get really exited to get their hands on the bilng bling. :)

#13 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Glorian Underhill said:

I use the campaign coins made by that Australian firm:

http://www.campaignc...orum/index.html

They are quite expensive including shipping but worth every penny. Brass is Brass, Silver and Gold coins count as silver coins. I have no per se real gold coins but 100 silver are easily counted as one real gold crown. I hvae  skipped completely their platinum coins as they are too shiny.

I also use the campaign coins. But we use brass as brass, silver and platina as silver, gold as gold (allthough, the gold does not see much use). The platinum coin are a bit too shiny for my taste, but work as newly minted silver coins.

They are great coins and I actually made an order for some more coins today.

#14 SJMazzella3380

SJMazzella3380

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

I have been looking at the Realm Coins over at Mused Fable http://musedfable.com/?q=catalog/3    They look good, and seem to be a bit less expensive.  They also dont look like chaos coins, which campaign coins kinda look like.   I like the idea of the original poster, about having the coins made up, but I have not heard back if they will be made public or not.

#15 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

Well, the benefit of the Campaign coins is, that they have some wash on them which makes them look used. I have no Realm coins, but they look quite new.

And brass looks ok till the 20er. Horses, arrows and stuff. Skip the 2er brass.

#16 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

Any updates on the coins you ordered? I'd love to see the final product!

#17 SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I haven't put in the order for these just yet. I barely got hired 2 weeks ago, so I'll probably be ordering this when I get paid on Friday. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS