Jump to content



Photo

Sneakdoor Beta + Emergency Shutdown


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerenceJDorman

TerenceJDorman

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Apologies if this has been answered already, but I checked the FAQ and these forums and found nothing, so here it goes.

In short, does this combo work?

I can see an argument both ways.

The argument for "yes" is fairly straight forward as that seems to be what the cards are meant to do and, if I had to guess, appears to be their intent as well.

But, if we look at it with very strict interpretation of the wording, the argument can be made that Emergency Shutdown CANNOT be used if the only successful run on HQ in a turn was one initiated by Sneakdoor Beta. I say this because the run intiated by Sneakdoor Beta is on Archives and then TREATED like a run on HQ, but it isn't actually a run on HQ.

While being "treated" as a run on HQ seems like a fairly obvious indicator that Emergency Shutdown could be used, it isn't clear. Also, in the FAQ, this is written in regards to Sneakdoor Beta, "Yes. The run is initiated under a specific condition: that if successful it is treated as a successful run on
HQ. This effect lasts until the end of the run, regardless of whether or not Sneakdoor Beta is trashed."

This could indicate that the treatment of the run as a successful run on HQ ends with the run, therefore Emergency Shutdown could not be used later in the turn.

Thoughts?



#2 paradox23

paradox23

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

It is treated as a run on HQ. That means it is considered the same as a run on HQ.  



#3 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

TerenceJDorman said:

Apologies if this has been answered already, but I checked the FAQ and these forums and found nothing, so here it goes.

In short, does this combo work?

I can see an argument both ways.

The argument for "yes" is fairly straight forward as that seems to be what the cards are meant to do and, if I had to guess, appears to be their intent as well.

But, if we look at it with very strict interpretation of the wording, the argument can be made that Emergency Shutdown CANNOT be used if the only successful run on HQ in a turn was one initiated by Sneakdoor Beta. I say this because the run intiated by Sneakdoor Beta is on Archives and then TREATED like a run on HQ, but it isn't actually a run on HQ.

While being "treated" as a run on HQ seems like a fairly obvious indicator that Emergency Shutdown could be used, it isn't clear. Also, in the FAQ, this is written in regards to Sneakdoor Beta, "Yes. The run is initiated under a specific condition: that if successful it is treated as a successful run on
HQ. This effect lasts until the end of the run, regardless of whether or not Sneakdoor Beta is trashed."

This could indicate that the treatment of the run as a successful run on HQ ends with the run, therefore Emergency Shutdown could not be used later in the turn.

Thoughts?

Are you also not collecting Gabriel's 2 credits when you make the successful run with Sneakdoor? If so, then Emergency Shutdown works for the same reason. The card specifically tells you to treat the run as a successful one on HQ, so you get to access cards from HQ and get all the benefits and/or penalties that come with such a run.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#4 TerenceJDorman

TerenceJDorman

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

stormwolf27 said:

Are you also not collecting Gabriel's 2 credits when you make the successful run with Sneakdoor? If so, then Emergency Shutdown works for the same reason. The card specifically tells you to treat the run as a successful one on HQ, so you get to access cards from HQ and get all the benefits and/or penalties that come with such a run.

The difference is that Gabriel's ability happens during the actual run, which at the time is a "successful run on HQ." According to the FAQ, the effect of treating it as a successful runs on HQ "lasts until the end of the run," which includes Gabriel's ability but NOT Emergency Shutdown as that card clearly takes place after the run is concluded.

I am well aware that my argument looks ridiculous, but the way the cards are worded AND the FAQ is worded, my theory is quite plausbile. I agree with everyone that it is likely the cards are working as intended, but it is not guranteed that they will be interpreted that way by every player due to shaky wordings.



#5 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

    Member

  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

TerenceJDorman said:

The difference is that Gabriel's ability happens during the actual run, which at the time is a "successful run on HQ." According to the FAQ, the effect of treating it as a successful runs on HQ "lasts until the end of the run," which includes Gabriel's ability but NOT Emergency Shutdown as that card clearly takes place after the run is concluded.

Interesting that you mention the FAQ entry.  I think the entry says the effect "lasts until the end of the run" because the Sneakdoor Beta leaves play during the run and thus no longer in play at the end of the turn, so the effect can only last until the end of the run.  In normal cases (i.e. the Sneakdoor Beta is in play at the end of the turn), the effect of treating it as a successful run on HQ would last.

This is just my opinion, and I could probably be wrong.


Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#6 TerenceJDorman

TerenceJDorman

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Angus Lee said:

Interesting that you mention the FAQ entry.  I think the entry says the effect "lasts until the end of the run" because the Sneakdoor Beta leaves play during the run and thus no longer in play at the end of the turn, so the effect can only last until the end of the run.  In normal cases (i.e. the Sneakdoor Beta is in play at the end of the turn), the effect of treating it as a successful run on HQ would last.

This is just my opinion, and I could probably be wrong.

I wholeheartedly agree that is likely the intent of the card and that the interaction should work as everyone (including  myself) expects it to. I'm just a stickler for wordings and, with Regionals right around the corner and Gen Con not too far away, I always think it is best to have everything hammered out. 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS