paints

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Apparantly gw isn't willing to let me order a paint set from them. Seriously told me they couldn't take orders on them. So the question is who has suggestions on what might BS a good replacement set. I don't paint with pallets. I like painting directly from the pots and the variety gw had cause I suck at mixing. With Myers nervous system problems I honestly have trouble painting at all. But I want to find a new paint option for me and the other half that isn't super complicated (valejo) or something. Honestly I'm posting this on several forums and intend to compile opinions and research to find the option that fits me and the other half best. Thank you in advance for the input

#2 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

That's really strange, did they give any reason for it? I've only ever used GW paints.

#3 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Apparently they don't sell the paint sets anymore. Everything has to be bought single. That is what she told me at least. Things are really strange lately for me it is like people don't want large sums of money. First tigerdirect with my wifes PC now gw with their $500+ paint set. I'm researching others now and so far I like army painter and p3 from privateer but I have used gw for soo long I am a little lost and kinda want some informed opinion LOL. Ah well gw has been less than favoured by my lately anyway so if they don't want my money someone else can get it.

#4 Cilionelle

Cilionelle

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Vallejo paints are good, as are the Privateer Press P3 paints.  The latter is what I use personally (for the most part) and you can find some good equivalency lists online too, say at Bolter and Chainsword.  The Army Painter ones are okay too.  I've only just got some of them and so far have been pleased.

"There is no point to owning a copy of the rules if you aren't committed to actually reading them."

#5 Germaniac

Germaniac

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

I dont see where Vallejo are complicated, apart from the fact that you can't open them like the GW, there just modelcolors like every other modelcolor too. I use them among GW and, said, P3 colors without noticing any differences.

You can also take a look @ the foundy color system: They have three color sets with a base color, a highlight and a darker tone alreday matched up.

#6 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

By complicated I meant with all the mixing and thinning and whatnot. I'm not a good painter by any.means especially with my nervous system problems these days but I do want my stuff painter it just looks soo bad otherwise I cant handle it. I tried vallejo in the late 80s or early 90s though so I may be mistaken. I changed to citadel/gw in like 95? I think. I have kinda have been disappointed with gw lately anyway so maybe I'm being a little rediculous but I'm gonna maybe try using the coloured undercoats from army painter and the P3 paints for the colours and maybe the dip stuff some from army painter. I was wanting some opinions has to how things where and I have gotten some great info so far and have the above plan as a tentative possibility.

#7 Roskov

Roskov

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

I use Master Serie Paint from Reaper mini it's affordable, always fresh since you bought it directly from the manufacturer and you get free shipping for order over 25$us. I used it with GW citadel, army painter and Valledjo in the past and nerver have any problem. You can even go there and build your own set of colors. You should try them. They only thing it's there are in dropper bottle.

#8 Karon

Karon

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thank you everyone for all the input it has helped a Great deal in the wife and I's decision process. After much debate and discussion and research that we shall invest in privateers p3 line of paints. Partially because all the information I have gotten on it is positive except for apparently their lids and metallics. The lids are the same as the old citadel paints apparently. I'm used to that. I will have to fill in the few missing spots with other stuff but it can be done. A lot of the decision was based on quality and reviews but the wife and I both hate droppers and mixing paint so the pots work better and that definitely influenced our decision. Thank this wonderful community yet again for all of your help.

#9 Jaravak

Jaravak

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

I'm not sure if this is not what you're looking for but they do sell a paint collection on their website.

https://www.games-wo...Id=prod1760002a

#10 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

Here is what I use.  http://www.goldenpaints.com/  Golden Paints is a locally owned and operated company here in the U.S.A. that makes some of the highest (if not the highest) acrylic paints in the world. Their quality of ingredients and high pigment content of paint makes for a product which will last for a lifetime (end plug).

This page http://www.goldenpai...color/index.php shows you the mediums you can get (air brush, fluid, heavy body) to meet your needs.  From the main page you can also explore the other products like textured pastes you can use on bases or other surfaces.

They do have 1 oz bottles of paint and larger.  At least this gives you another option.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS