Photo

Well, if we are getting Wave 3 news soon, it will be Wednesday!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

This week is the GAMA trade show.  Its a trade show for hobby game retailers and hobby game manufacturers.  Fantasy Flight Games will be there and they have an all Star Wars seminar scheduled from 11 am to noon (Las Vegas time) on Wednesday the 20th.  They are also doing a keynote seminar on Tuesday the 19th, so I guess its possible they mention something there.  However, with FFG scheduling an all Star Wars seminar, I would assume they would save most details for that. 

You can view the entire show schedule here:

http://www.gamatrade...56/Default.aspx

If there are any other games or companies you follow, there could be some news this week for them as well!

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

That would be nice.  Let's just hope their X-Wing piece isn't just a recap of numbers and information that us rabid fans already know.  Can you imagine the rage if they announced "Wave 3" and showed the B-Wing, the TIE Bomber, then teased "2 more mystery ships which we'll reveal at GenCon"?!

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

cleardave said:

That would be nice.  Let's just hope their X-Wing piece isn't just a recap of numbers and information that us rabid fans already know.  Can you imagine the rage if they announced "Wave 3" and showed the B-Wing, the TIE Bomber, then teased "2 more mystery ships which we'll reveal at GenCon"?!

It's possible that I've been around marketing and business types too much lately, but when you say "rage" I hear "time, energy, and attention from fans, plus news articles and rampant speculation on sites that cover our business segment". 

#4 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

St. Patrick's Day is Sunday. I say we get some of the FFG bigwigs liquored up and get them to chat about Wave 3 then.

"Bartender! Bring me another TIE Bomber on the asteroids, er, rocks!"

"okay, okay, okay, if you were (hic) one o' the Wave 3 (hic) shibs, whish, whish one would you be?"

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

It's possible that I've been around marketing and business types too much lately, but when you say "rage" I hear "time, energy, and attention from fans, plus news articles and rampant speculation on sites that cover our business segment". 

I'm referring more to the posts that have been constantly been started and re-started about wave 3 speculation since wave 2 was revealed at GenCon 2012.  They all start the same; "The B-Wing and TIE Bomber are a given, but what else would they include in Wave 3?"

Then the thread goes on for pages about Z-95's, TIE Defenders, YT-2000's, Lambda Shuttles, and so on, until someone talks about some prequel era craft, which turns it into a debate over whether or not "we" want that in the game, and whether or not FFG can or would put prequel-era ships into the game, and then the threads sinks like a stone until someone starts a new one offering the same basic point up for discussion.

So the joke of it all would be if after months and months of the same cycle of discussion, they reveal "new" ships for X-Wing, in a four ship wave, but only reveal the B-Wing and TIE Bomber, because we are all convinced that's the obvious next choice, and are more interested in hearing what isn't so obvious, like what the other two craft would be.

It'd like the PS4 "launch" press junket where they go on for two hours worth of talking but leave out the information that is actually important.

That being said, I would love to watch the video footage of the Star Wars segment where they get to X-Wing.  I'd imagine it would go something like this;

FFG: On the next slide, I'm going to reveal the first new ship in our third wave… *click* <B-Wing graphic shows up, applause>

FFG: …and next, the second ship… *click* <TIE Bomber graphic shows up, applause>

FFG: …and as for the other two ships… *click* <slide shows a card that says "See you at GenCon 2013">

Audience: *groan*

I think we all have a good enough sense of humour to enjoy that zinger if that's what they actually did.  I'd laugh, anyways, but I'm sure someone would lose it.

#6 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I would laugh my ass off if they did that. 

#7 B-Wing Ace

B-Wing Ace

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would prefer that method- reveal the B-wing and TIE bomber and I can find out anything else when I buy them at the store. Sure, I am a huge fan but also patient. Not that many years ago, pre-internet, there were vastly fewer previews about new products and life went on just fine. I am much more interested in what we can do with what we have rather than what we might be getting next.

#8 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

B-Wing Ace said:

I would prefer that method- reveal the B-wing and TIE bomber and I can find out anything else when I buy them at the store. Sure, I am a huge fan but also patient. Not that many years ago, pre-internet, there were vastly fewer previews about new products and life went on just fine. I am much more interested in what we can do with what we have rather than what we might be getting next.

Same.  When it comes to previews, I'd prefer to no as little as possible until it's time to buy.  But that's the business of marketing; you have to generate that awareness of the product, and the interest in the buyer.  Too far out kills me, because it's just something I can't have for the better part of a year (or more).  The initial hype I might feel could wane by then, as some other shiny object comes out to get my attention.

Whether they tell us next week, or in the summer, whenever that magic release date is, we'll make it there in one piece

#9 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Bump. It's Wednesday, and the seminar is in just a few hours. Anybody who has the opportunity to attend, do enlighten us on what was discussed. :)

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#10 binici

binici

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

I still need to buy Wave 2 stuff! So much to buy, so little time…

#11 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

binici said:

I still need to buy Wave 2 stuff! So much to buy, so little time…

Even if we hear about it, I wouldn't expect it to be released until around GenCon in August.

#12 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Well, nothing new regarding X-Wing announced at the Fantasy Flight Star Wars panel, according to early reports.  That is too bad.  Let the speculation continue.

#13 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Honestly i would prefer them to announce something only when it will be already in production and not like with wave 2 when it took me months to get my hands on stuff other people already had just because our local store didn't manage to organize a proper Kessel run and because producing proper quantities of the new models took quite some time. I am not complaining, it's quite normal looking at the detail and quality of the models. I just would like to see them announce something, show us and then a month at most after it would be fully released rather than start a hype then everyone has forgotten about it and then stuff arrives…

#14 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

ForceM said:

Honestly i would prefer them to announce something only when it will be already in production and not like with wave 2 when it took me months to get my hands on stuff other people already had just because our local store didn't manage to organize a proper Kessel run and because producing proper quantities of the new models took quite some time. I am not complaining, it's quite normal looking at the detail and quality of the models. I just would like to see them announce something, show us and then a month at most after it would be fully released rather than start a hype then everyone has forgotten about it and then stuff arrives…

Hear, hear!

#15 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Mu0n said:

ForceM said:

Hear, hear!

And hear!

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#16 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

ForceM said:

Yeah, I have no idea what kind of time table they are on for each wave, but I figured if they were gonna announce it soon, they would probably do so at GAMA.  At this point, I wouldn't expect any concrete news until early summer, if not GenCon in August.  Oh well, that will give me plenty of time to practice with what I have now!

#17 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

To add to this, I only have 2 TIE Interceptors and an A-Wing that I got as Kessel Run prizes, and a Falcon and Slave I that I actually bought at the store from Wave 2.  I still have some more collecting to do to keep a nice stock of extra ships for each type.  Additionally, I play Star Wars LCG, which is now starting its first expansion cycle.  Between those, and other board gaming interests, I've got more than enough toys to play with between now and GenCon or whenever they announce what's next for X-Wing, so I'm indifferent to these expectations.

My gaming budget definitely needs to perform a green move on its next turn to shed that stress token.

#18 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

cleardave said:

To add to this, I only have 2 TIE Interceptors and an A-Wing that I got as Kessel Run prizes, and a Falcon and Slave I that I actually bought at the store from Wave 2.  I still have some more collecting to do to keep a nice stock of extra ships for each type.  Additionally, I play Star Wars LCG, which is now starting its first expansion cycle.  Between those, and other board gaming interests, I've got more than enough toys to play with between now and GenCon or whenever they announce what's next for X-Wing, so I'm indifferent to these expectations.

My gaming budget definitely needs to perform a green move on its next turn to shed that stress token.

Its this and Heroclix for me.  Heroclix has been a non-stop fire hose of releases for about a year and a half now.  I could use a slow paced game as far as expansions.  Its funny, because I know it is slow paced, I am spending a lot now and justifying it by saying once I have this I will be set for a few months.  I'm wondering how long I can keep using that justification before I catch on to myself, haha.

#19 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Mu0n said:

ForceM said:

Hear, hear!

You desperate for more posts or what?

#20 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'm sure he couldn't put "Agreed"…because that would be too short :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS