Jump to content



Photo

Best 60 pts Boba Fett?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LedZep

LedZep

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Has anyone played 60 pts game with Slave 1 Boba Fett? 

I tried running:

 

Boba Fett + Slave 1 card (39)

Homming Missiles (5)

Veteran Instinct (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Gunner (5)

Proximity Mine (3)

 

I got kicked hard because my oponent ran 1 x wing, a-wing,y wing and when we met my rolls where horrible…so he ended up killing me in 3 turns because my deffense runs were blanks and when I went trough an asteroid I got a critical…

I think this can pack a punch on a 2 x wing team. Having homming missiles on the first try and using the target lock to re- roll and if they go blanks then using the gunner can work an x wing in 1-2 turns. Also, running and shooting range 3 while getting a good position for a mine would work…

I was thinking about going purist and adding Ion Cannon, protton torpedos and stealth devie in exchange for the hunner and heaby laser cannon…

 

What would you change?  Weapon wise?



#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Are you insistent on using Boba Fett?  Just playing around, I like this as a 1-ship, 60 point, Firespray build:

Krassis Trelix (36)

Slave-1 (0)

Homing Missiles (5)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Mercenary Copilot (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)



#3 a4rino

a4rino

    Member

  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

 

LedZep said:

 

Boba Fett + Slave 1 card (39)

Homming Missiles (5)

Veteran Instinct (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Gunner (5)

Proximity Mine (3)

 

What would you change?  Weapon wise?

 

 

 

Homing Missiles are a waste if you've got a Heavy Laser Cannon because HLC will ensure you always roll 4 attack dice at enemies in your forward arc anyway. These are especially useless if you're playing against Rebels, because only the A-Wing (or Falcon upgrade) is capable of evading.

The Gunner could also probably go. With 4 attack dice, you're not going to miss often enough (especially against X-Wings and Y-Wings) to make this upgrade worth it's weight in squad points.

 

If you insist on running Boba Fett alone, I would probably go with

 

Boba Fett (39)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Mercenary Copilot (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

 

The rationale here is that Veteran Instincts will ensure that Boba always maneuvers last - this will let you get the most out of his pilot ability and also let you decide if the time is right to Boost (since you've also got Engine Upgrade) or to drop your Seismic Charges. Don't hesitate to Boost past your foes and catch them in your rear arc. The HLC will be useful at long range, and you'll also have your Mercenary Copilot to help you out at this range. If you happen to catch an enemy in your Range 1 forward arc, hit them with the Cluster Missiles - these are especially well-suited to tearing up Y-Wings.

 



#4 ReaverRandall

ReaverRandall

    Member

  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

a4rino said:

Homing Missiles are a waste if you've got a Heavy Laser Cannon because HLC will ensure you always roll 4 attack dice at enemies in your forward arc anyway. These are especially useless if you're playing against Rebels, because only the A-Wing (or Falcon upgrade) is capable of evading.

The Gunner could also probably go. With 4 attack dice, you're not going to miss often enough (especially against X-Wings and Y-Wings) to make this upgrade worth it's weight in squad points.

 

If you insist on running Boba Fett alone, I would probably go with

 

Boba Fett (39)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Mercenary Copilot (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

 

The rationale here is that Veteran Instincts will ensure that Boba always maneuvers last - this will let you get the most out of his pilot ability and also let you decide if the time is right to Boost (since you've also got Engine Upgrade) or to drop your Seismic Charges. Don't hesitate to Boost past your foes and catch them in your rear arc. The HLC will be useful at long range, and you'll also have your Mercenary Copilot to help you out at this range. If you happen to catch an enemy in your Range 1 forward arc, hit them with the Cluster Missiles - these are especially well-suited to tearing up Y-Wings.

 

 

Both of your statements concerning Homing Missles and Gunner are clearly misguided…

The only thing i like in your build is the boost and veteran instincts, those are well thought out upgrades



#5 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

ReaverRandall said:

a4rino said:

 

Homing Missiles are a waste if you've got a Heavy Laser Cannon because HLC will ensure you always roll 4 attack dice at enemies in your forward arc anyway. These are especially useless if you're playing against Rebels, because only the A-Wing (or Falcon upgrade) is capable of evading.

The Gunner could also probably go. With 4 attack dice, you're not going to miss often enough (especially against X-Wings and Y-Wings) to make this upgrade worth it's weight in squad points.

 

If you insist on running Boba Fett alone, I would probably go with

 

Boba Fett (39)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Mercenary Copilot (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

 

The rationale here is that Veteran Instincts will ensure that Boba always maneuvers last - this will let you get the most out of his pilot ability and also let you decide if the time is right to Boost (since you've also got Engine Upgrade) or to drop your Seismic Charges. Don't hesitate to Boost past your foes and catch them in your rear arc. The HLC will be useful at long range, and you'll also have your Mercenary Copilot to help you out at this range. If you happen to catch an enemy in your Range 1 forward arc, hit them with the Cluster Missiles - these are especially well-suited to tearing up Y-Wings.

 

 

 

 

Both of your statements concerning Homing Missles and Gunner are clearly misguided…

The only thing i like in your build is the boost and veteran instincts, those are well thought out upgrades

 

To weigh in on this, I wouldn't bother with the Mercenary Copilot if you're running the Heavy Laser Cannon.  The Mercenary turns a hit to a critical, but the Laser Cannon downgrades your criticals to regular hits, which, if I'm remembering the rules correctly, you always go with the "worse" option, which in this case is the critical turns back to a regular hit.

At Range 2 and 3, you're obviously going to opt in to the Heavy Laser Cannon for the extra attack dice, especially at Range 3, because your opponent won't get the extra defense dice, as doesn't apply to secondary weapon attacks.

The Gunner would be a better crew person choice, and I think I may have inferred that it's not fully understood how it works.  So let's say I'm using the Heavy Laser Cannon (HLC) at Range 3 to attack you.  I roll it up, and my end result is 2 hits.  You roll your green dice and get two evades.  The attack is considered to have missed, because no hits were scored, so the Gunner's ability triggers, and you can roll a Primary Attack with your 3 reds and hope you get lucky.

It seems that some people assume the Gunner or Luke only work if your attack dice rolled zero hits, which is false.  You could roll 4 hits, but they don't count as having "hit" until your opponent has rolled and resolved their green dice, including modifying results with Focus, adding in their Evade token, using Elusiveness, etc.  If the final net result is that you have "hit" or "critical hit" dice results on the table, and they have all been cancelled by Evade results, Evade tokens, or other abilities, and your net "hit" and "critical hit" count is zero, you have missed.  Then your Gunner or Luke can activate to try and roll again.

Hopefully that made sense.

Now, getting back on to the original query, regarding Boba Fett, here are a few considerations for your Firespray pilots;

Fett can work well with anything that also adds on to his movement, with things like Engine Upgrade to perform the Boost action.  Since you can alter the movement dial to the opposite bank move after you reveal, the Boost can help those correcting moves to keep good firing solutions for Fett's two fire arcs.  Veteran Instincts also moves him up to a Pilot Skill of 10, so you can have a better chance of moving last and taking advantage of that for Fett's ability.

Kath's ability works well if you take the Slave I upgrade and Proton Torpedos, which ups your critical hit chance.  Consider also a combination of that, Marksmanship and Mercenary Copilot, which all let you add crits to your die roll.  You get an all win outcome; if the crit is absorbed by a shield that's one less shield.  If it goes through to hull, they take a face up card.  If they cancel it out with Evade dice and tokens, they get stressed, which can potentially mess up their movement next turn.  If you can team her up with a Bounty Hunter and Ion Cannon, you could potentially shut down a Small ship for a turn, but that's probably too much of a points investment to deal with one fighter.

Krassis works great with your secondary weapons, so be sure to take along the HLC, Ion Cannon, or even go all in and take Slave I and Proton Torpedos.  At the very least though, use him with the HLC or Ion Cannon, sprinkle in the Torpedo if you have 4 points to spend.  Combine with the Mercenary Copilot to increase your Range 3 crit potential, or the Gunner for a do-over with the primary weapon if they stop your secondary attack.

The Bounty Hunter doesn't have a specific pilot ability to work with, so I would relegate it to a support ship role, using some of the above combos, or even as a mine layer.  I haven't done anything with the Bounty Hunter yet, so if anyone has any experience using it successfully, I'd love to hear more.

The best thing to do, honestly, is really consider the implications of those Pilot abilities, and try and chose a load out that lets you exploit that the most.



#6 LedZep

LedZep

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

To my understanding you use the heavy laser cannon, change the criticals to normal hits and then use the mercenary copilot to change 1 of the hits to critica. I see it is better to use the gunner to ensure that you have a chance when bad rolls starts poping.

 

So as of now I guess the best would be:

 

Boba Fett + Slave 1 card (39)
 
Veteran Instinct (1)
 
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
 
Gunner (5)
 
Engine Upgrade (4)
 
I like where this is going :)
 
Also…is there no use for fett to use proton torpedoes and ion cannon?

 



#7 a4rino

a4rino

    Member

  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

 

ReaverRandall said:

 

Both of your statements concerning Homing Missles and Gunner are clearly misguided…

The only thing i like in your build is the boost and veteran instincts, those are well thought out upgrades

 

 

I'm not sure how you figure that these are clearly misguided.

Gunner is a judgment call - in my experience, 4 attack dice rarely miss against Rebel pilots, which means you probably won't get to use this with HLC.  The Gunner could come in handy if you're attacking often in your reverse arc (when you will not have that extra dice from the HLC).

Homing Missiles are most definitely not worth 5 points if you already have HLC even if your opponent likes playing the evade action. I am interested to hear why someone would want to spend 5 points to cancel one evade token once in a match.

 

 

cleardave said:

 

To weigh in on this, I wouldn't bother with the Mercenary Copilot if you're running the Heavy Laser Cannon.  The Mercenary turns a hit to a critical, but the Laser Cannon downgrades your criticals to regular hits, which, if I'm remembering the rules correctly, you always go with the "worse" option, which in this case is the critical turns back to a regular hit.

It seems that some people assume the Gunner or Luke only work if your attack dice rolled zero hits, which is false. 

 

 

Mercenary Copilot allows you to modify your attack dice. This occurs after the HLC nullifies your criticals (which happens "immediately after rolling your attack dice," i.e. before dice modification). Because the effects resolve at different times you will get the critical if you hit at Range 3.

I understand how Gunner works, but in my experience rolling 4 attack dice vs 2 defense dice still almost always hits at least once, so you will probably get little utility from a Gunner (at least for the 5 points he costs). Like I said before, though, this is a judgment call. If your opponent loves to run A-Wings, you will probably see more use from a Gunner. If he fields lots of Y-Wings/X-Wings/YT's, then you're probably better off saving those 5 points.



#8 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

a4rino said:

Mercenary Copilot allows you to modify your attack dice. This occurs after the HLC nullifies your criticals (which happens "immediately after rolling your attack dice," i.e. before dice modification). Because the effects resolve at different times you will get the critical if you hit at Range 3.

I understand how Gunner works, but in my experience rolling 4 attack dice vs 2 defense dice still almost always hits at least once, so you will probably get little utility from a Gunner (at least for the 5 points he costs). Like I said before, though, this is a judgment call. If your opponent loves to run A-Wings, you will probably see more use from a Gunner. If he fields lots of Y-Wings/X-Wings/YT's, then you're probably better off saving those 5 points.

I'll look into that clarification about the criticals, thanks.

The problem with the logic of 4 vs 2 dice, is that with Wave 2, there are certainly a few instances where this could not be true;

Any X-Wing using R2-F2 and/or Stealth Device is 3-4 dice, which comes up as a good combo for Biggs in particular.

Luke w/ R2-F2 and/or Stealth can also be tricky

A Y-Wing with R2-F2/Stealth is 3 dice

A-Wings, as you mentioned

Millenium Falcon with Stealth Device

That's just a few Rebel examples, and doesn't take into account facing another Imperial list at a tournament, which is entirely possible, and should be accounted for.  Unless of course you plan on never doing random pick-up games, or any type of organized play, other than strict Rebel vs Imperial matches at home.

Elusiveness will also make you re-roll an attack die, by the way, so there's that too.

As you pointed out, it is totally a judgement call, but at the very least, it helps you further offset the luck factor in a dice-rolling game.  Blowing a critical roll is always so maddening, like when you have 4 dice attacking 1 Agility, and it comes up empty.  The Gunner gives you a do-over, reducing the chances of having that happen, though it could statistically happen on the new attack as well.

It's a great way to try and bleed off opponents' focus/evade tokens ahead of another attack too.



#9 paradox23

paradox23

    Member

  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Might as well just do 66 points for what I think is the deadlies Slave-1 build:

 

  • Boba Fett (39)
  • Assault Missile (5)
  • Heavy Laser Canon (7)
  • Seismic Charge (2)
  • Push the Limit (3)
  • Mercenary Copilot (2)
  • Slave-1 (0)
  • Engine Upgrade (4)
  • Proton Torpedoes (4)

I go Boba for the high firing number and the maneuverability. Assault Missile and Seismic Charges to maximize his targeting capabilities vs many opponents. Engine Upgrades and Push the Limit for further flexibility.

 

I wouldn't run this in anything smaller than a 200 pt game, but holy heck it's amazing with a little support to draw fire off of him.



#10 a4rino

a4rino

    Member

  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

 

cleardave said:

 

That's just a few Rebel examples, and doesn't take into account facing another Imperial list at a tournament, which is entirely possible, and should be accounted for.  Unless of course you plan on never doing random pick-up games, or any type of organized play, other than strict Rebel vs Imperial matches at home.

It's a great way to try and bleed off opponents' focus/evade tokens ahead of another attack too.

 

 

 

For this list I assumed that the author of the thread wanted to run only Boba (and no other ships) in a 60 squad point match. So there are no other attacks for which he would be bleeding focus/evade tokens - Boba is all alone in this match. If we're talking about tournament play, then the squad total goes up to 100 and you may be playing a mirror match, so of course strategies will change.

You did come up with many examples of why the Gunner may be more useful than I originally speculated. This definitely depends on what you expect your opponent to run. If you expect him to have lots of defense dice (e.g., A-Wings), perhaps it would be worthwhile to lose the Mercenary Copilot and the Cluster Missiles in the original list I posted and replace these upgrades with a Gunner instead. The Cluster Missiles stand out as a good card to replace because the two Cluster Missile attacks of only 3 dice each will be less effective against agile opponents. But like we've said this decision requires some foresight in what your opponent will run.



#11 cleardave

cleardave

    Member

  • Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

a4rino said:

 

But like we've said this decision requires some foresight in what your opponent will run.

Absolutely.  Trying to make a list to deal with an alleged threat can be one-sided, but if you make it with versatility, you can probably make out better across multiple matches vs different lists.  Also, the game seems to work better at 100pts, which I'm sure it's designed around for obvious reasons.

I'd honestly recommend to the original poster that they just bump it up to 100pts and get some more variety out of it.



#12 LedZep

LedZep

    Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am asking specifically for a 60 point build. I like playing small 60 pt games from sometimes. And if Im gonna play a 100 pts, I would like to have a 60 Slave 1 and 40 points for me to just play around. I love Fett as much as I love the interceptors and Fel (from rogue squadron comic) and for that reason I like to go purist sometimes making teams that dont make sense if you want to win. All in all I enjoy it and play it in my mind like im reading a comic rather than thinking abot winning all the time. Thats why I wanted to see if you guys could make a better 60 pts fett. The problem here is that even with fett at his best, he is only 1 ship… So in a 60 pts fighting 3 rebel ships I find myself in a disadvantage. 

It is for that reason that I like the gunner+ heavy laser cannon. 4 attack dice + a chance to re roll makes me at least take of the shields from a ship every turn. Problem is surviving against 7 dice every turn. 

 

:)



#13 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

   What about this:

*Kath Scarlet

 -Heavy Laser Cannon

 -Proximity Mines

*Academy Pilot

 or this:

*Bounty Hunter

 -Gunner

 -Heavy Laser Cannon

 -Proximity Mines

*Academy Pilot

I put the extra ship, to get more dice to attack or to atract the fire, I don't test yet, but I will do this Sunday, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#14 Tawnos

Tawnos

    Member

  • Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm surprised no one has suggested Expert Handling on Boba Fett.  Between his built-in ability to switch directions on a whim and the ability to Barrel Roll in a ship with a large base, he can be a real pain to pin down.  Especially with the addition of an Engine Upgrade, giving him even more positioning options.

Also, adding Barrel Roll as an option makes it a ton easier to manage that forward firing arc to keep people in range of the HLC.

Here's my suggested Boba Build:

  • Boba Fett - 39
  • Expert Handling - 2
  • Engine Upgrade - 4
  • Gunner - 5
  • HLC - 7

Add missiles and mines to flavor.  Simmer 15 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before "getting served."



#15 executor

executor

    Member

  • Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

LedZep said:

Has anyone played 60 pts game with Slave 1 Boba Fett? 

I tried running:

 

Boba Fett + Slave 1 card (39)

Homming Missiles (5)

Veteran Instinct (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Gunner (5)

Proximity Mine (3)

 

I got kicked hard because my oponent ran 1 x wing, a-wing,y wing and when we met my rolls where horrible…so he ended up killing me in 3 turns because my deffense runs were blanks and when I went trough an asteroid I got a critical…

I think this can pack a punch on a 2 x wing team. Having homming missiles on the first try and using the target lock to re- roll and if they go blanks then using the gunner can work an x wing in 1-2 turns. Also, running and shooting range 3 while getting a good position for a mine would work…

I was thinking about going purist and adding Ion Cannon, protton torpedos and stealth devie in exchange for the hunner and heaby laser cannon…

 

What would you change?  Weapon wise?

 

i can't remember who said it on one of the topics here but i'll reiterate it "just because you can run a lot of upgrade cards doesn't mean you should"

i tried a team of 2 firesprays with the works on both of them (Boba and Krassis) and i was met with utter disappointment 

if i had to change anything i'd drop the proxy mine and drop either the HLC or the homing missles and save the remaining points for additional ships as you still only get to attack once every turn.. so loading yourself up with an aresenal of weapons won't do you any good when you can't use multiple in a turn.. the multiple upgrade slots are there to allow a variety of options

if you insist on having a mine, take the seismic charge instead, it doesn't cost you an action or an attack and it's only 2 measly points

if i had to choose between the HLC and the homing missles, i'd choose the homing missles unless i was running expert handling to move at a range of 1 every round and barrel roll and move as far backwards as i can to stay at a far range and really take advantage of the HLC.. but now you're losing out on your target locks, so you're better off using Krassis over Boba for his pilot ability


Current Fleet

Rebellion: 4 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300's

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS