A Journey to Dagobah and Decoy at Dantooine

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scoob

Scoob

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

If A Journey to Dagobah is destroyed and I use its text to play Decoy at Dantooine from my deck, can I then use Decoy at Dantooine's text to reduce the Death Star's dial by 1?  

#2 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

I don't think so.  The Triggering Condition that would activate the INTERRUPT ability of "Decoy at Dantooine" would have happened before the card was in play.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

No this would not work as Journey to Dagobah is removed before Decoy at Dantooine ever enters play.

#4 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

I think this should work.  Both objective effects are interrupts.  From the rules on interrupts:

"An interrupt effect is considered to be resolved before the triggering condition is allowed to complete -- often cancelling or changing the outcome of the triggering condition."

A Journey to Dagobah's text is:

"Interrupt: When this objective is destroyed, search your objective deck to choose your next objective and put it into play immediately. Shuffle your objective deck."

So before it get's destroyed, you search and place the new objective into play.  At this instance in time, you should have (potentially) four objectives in play, one of which (A Journey to Dagobah) which has at least four damage on it.  Then AJtD being destroyed resolves, and it leaves play, triggering Decoy at Dantooine's text:

"Interrupt: When an objective you control leaves play, decrease the Death Star dial by 1 (to a minimum of 1)."

#5 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Here are the Core rules for this situation:

in play and out of play

A player’s unit cards, enhancement cards, and the current objective cards in his play area are considered “in play.”

“Out of play” refers to the cards in a player’s hand, his facedown decks, his discard pile, his edge stack, his victory pile, and any cards that are captured.

Card effects only interact with, and can only target, cards that are in play, unless the effect text specifically refers to an out-of-play card or area.

A player’s affiliation card is always considered in play, and cannot be removed from play by any card effect.

A card “enters play” when it moves from its “out of play” origin to a player’s play area. For example, a card enters play when it is played from a player’s hand, put into play from his objective deck, or is placed in a player’s play area by some card effect.

A card that “leaves play” moves from a player’s play area to the “out of play” destination indicated by card or rules text. “Remove” and “Discard” are common terms that indicate a card must leave play.

So I believe it would work like this:

1-Journey is blown up, interrupt happens, then goes to discard pile

2- Decoy comes out, DS continues turn.

I think the Immediately part of Journey is to benefit the LS more than it is the DS. The fact they can choose what they need is suppose to be the intent, and I see where your intent would be to slow down the dial, but I think Journey has already hit the discard pile by then.

This is just my 2 cents, I would e-mail FFG.

A Journey to DagobahDecoy at Dantooine

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#6 dj9091

dj9091

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

I would say that since the text mentions "When this objective is destoyed…" this infers that the objective is no longer in play.  While the interupt has been triggered, it did so due to the destruction of the objective.  In that case, objective one leaves as objective two comes into play and not two comes in after one leaves.  So, since the first objective left before the seocnd was put in play, the interupt on the second would not be triggered.

#7 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

For those that think that Journey wouldn't still be around when Decoy comes into play, I have an alternate question:  Can Decoy trigger it's own interrupt?  If so, what is the difference between the two cases?

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

doctormungmung said:

For those that think that Journey wouldn't still be around when Decoy comes into play, I have an alternate question:  Can Decoy trigger it's own interrupt?  If so, what is the difference between the two cases?

The difference is Decoy was in play at the time of its own destruction, Journey and Decoy were never in play together as Journey leaving is what brought Decoy in to play. There is no point where both are out at the same time.

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I submitted this to the rules question link. However, my feeling is that this trick would iindeed work. Journey's ability resolves before it is destroyed, which means that Decoy would enter play before the destruction of Journey.

#10 doctormungmung

doctormungmung

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

Toqtamish said:

The difference is Decoy was in play at the time of its own destruction, Journey and Decoy were never in play together as Journey leaving is what brought Decoy in to play. There is no point where both are out at the same time.

See, I disagree.  The interrupt effect completes before the triggering action actually happens.  Thus, Decoy is out before Journey is destroyed. 

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Response from Nate French: this combo works.

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thanks dbmeboy for posting the response. Interesting.

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

And here's the full response now that I'm on my laptop instead of my phone:

Correct -- the interrupt on Journey to Dagobah triggers before it leaves play, and you are still resolving an objective leaving play, so that you would be able to trigger the newly arrived Decoy.

Nate French
Senior LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

On Mar 14, 2013, at 1:26 PM, <> wrote:

Message from:
Matthew Brown

Rule Question:
If A Journey to Dagobah is destroyed and its Interrupt is used to put Decoy at Dantooine into play, can Decoy's Interrupt then be also triggered by the destruction of Journey? It seems like that would work to me as Decoy would be put into play before the destruction of Journey.

#14 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

See that's why I enjoy these forums. Great thinking on that trick and and now we have an official ruling on how it works.

I didn't see it that way, but I am not complaining, but yet planing on using it.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#15 Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

I also did not understand it that way, but now I get it.  The INTERRUPT ability of "A Journey to Dagobah" is triggered when the objective is destroyed, not when it leaves play.  So, like doctormungmung said you find a new objective and put it into play immediately, which means you technically have 4 objective decks in play for a split second before "A Journey to Dagobah" leaves play to your opponent's victory pile.  Thefore triggering the INTERRUPT ability of "Decoy at Dantooine".  Clever. 

#16 TGO

TGO

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

This seems like a bad combo. Sure, you click the dial down by one but you have to play with a pod that is packed full of cards that are bad. 

#17 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I playtested a deck that included Rebel Fleet, Flee the Empire and Decoy at dantooine in it and it was very difficult for the DS to play anything up. It was fun, but I don't think it was tournament viable.

#18 chiller087

chiller087

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

TGO said:

This seems like a bad combo. Sure, you click the dial down by one but you have to play with a pod that is packed full of cards that are bad. 

You could make the most combo-tastic deck this galaxy has ever seen.  I can almost hear Yoda's mournful speech:

"Journey to Dagobah leads to Decoy at Dantooine. 

Decoy at Dantooine leads to Draw Their Fire.

Draw Their Fire…leads to Fleeing the Empire…"(cue sad face)

Top it off with Mission Briefing, and you'll never get anything done cuz you're waiting for all your c-c-c-c-combos to go off to @#$% your opponent's world up like Pinkie Pie.

Micah

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS