• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 gabriel69

gabriel69

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Have any one seen this:

It just came up in the boardgamegeek, its the new reprint of X-Wings its MUCH better then the ones i have.

Original post on boardgame geek

http://boardgamegeek...improved-x-wing

"I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds, people live their lives under Imperial rule without seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
―Captain Thrawn

#2 gabriel69

gabriel69

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Just found the edit button.

"I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds, people live their lives under Imperial rule without seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."
―Captain Thrawn

#3 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Wow, looking at the difference am glad I only discovered this game in time to see the Wave 2 core set. From what I've seen the TIEs also have darker shading on them now.

#4 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I was just putting more details up on my blog after fielding a number of queries on BGG and TMP.  The TIE model itself hasn't been changed.  I don't have any un-retouched orginals to compare the shading to, but I've found the shading varies a bit from batch to batch anyway.

http://goblinhall.co...-wing-retooled/

#5 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Also more info from BGG: the molds are still the same -- just a much better paint job that doesn't hide it under a thick coat!

#6 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

RedWilde said:

Also more info from BGG: the molds are still the same -- just a much better paint job that doesn't hide it under a thick coat!

That's good to know, seriously. There must be a safe way to disassemble it all, remove the paint and fix them. Gonna wait on someone to post a lengthy guide with loads of pictures before attempting.

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#7 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

A-WIng stripping guide has been done: 

#8 Sunsteel

Sunsteel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

RedWilde said:

A-WIng stripping guide has been done: 

Thank you for the link!

#9 gabriel69

gabriel69

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

stripping the paint isnt a problem, the glue is. 

for the paint go with break fluid just like warhammer minis.

―Captain Thrawn

#10 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

gabriel69 said:

No!!! Use simple green. Takes longer but is much safer for the plastic. Brake fluid is corrosive and will melt the miniatures if you leave them in for too long. 

#11 gabriel69

gabriel69

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

nimdabew said:

gabriel69 said:

No!!! Use simple green. Takes longer but is much safer for the plastic. Brake fluid is corrosive and will melt the miniatures if you leave them in for too long. 

Have you used it?

a LOT of people including me use it, and not even a single scratch on de plastic has happend.

at first i used simple green, and i can say it it worst for the plastic the break fluid cause you have to leave it there for more time. and simple green do not remove all the paint.

go for break fluid dont be afraid just because some online foruns say its bad.

―Captain Thrawn

#12 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

Wow, this would explain a lot about the delay of Wave 2. 

What do we know?

• The Core Set enjoyed unforseeable success in the broad market, with mainstream retailers like Target and Barnes & Noble buying up as much stock as was available.
  • An email reproduced on one of the innumerable "ZOMG Wave 2" threads had it that there was a delay at the factory related to quality control and things being up to spec to the expectations of the fans and business partners.

So it would seem to me that they received *a lot* of notes regarding the first printing of the X-wings.  That's not a retool, that's a new mold. I'd venture to say that the assembly process has also been reworked, as those wings and guns look square and tight.  This level of "back to the drawing board" alone would constitute a significant delay.  I know a couple of my TIE fighters are a little bit "off" as well.

Speculation--Has anyone compared a Kessel Run Falcon or Slave 1 to one shipped with Wave 2?  I would think that any imprecision in assembly would be much more evident in the larger ships that would get more attention.

So, yeah, I think they crashed their schedule in order to not keep putting out models with substandard assembly. 

#13 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

I suspect it's actually the same mold with exponentially better QA.

#14 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Grimwalker said:

Wow, this would explain a lot about the delay of Wave 2. 

What do we know?

• The Core Set enjoyed unforseeable success in the broad market, with mainstream retailers like Target and Barnes & Noble buying up as much stock as was available.
  • An email reproduced on one of the innumerable "ZOMG Wave 2" threads had it that there was a delay at the factory related to quality control and things being up to spec to the expectations of the fans and business partners.

So it would seem to me that they received *a lot* of notes regarding the first printing of the X-wings.  That's not a retool, that's a new mold. I'd venture to say that the assembly process has also been reworked, as those wings and guns look square and tight.  This level of "back to the drawing board" alone would constitute a significant delay.  I know a couple of my TIE fighters are a little bit "off" as well.

Speculation--Has anyone compared a Kessel Run Falcon or Slave 1 to one shipped with Wave 2?  I would think that any imprecision in assembly would be much more evident in the larger ships that would get more attention.

So, yeah, I think they crashed their schedule in order to not keep putting out models with substandard assembly. 

It's NOT a new mold.  It's a significantly better paint job.  The original has thicker paint obscuring the details.  My original core sets X-Wings are all similar, but not quite as bad.  It's assembled better, it's painted better.  It's just better.  It's the same mold.  Redesigning the injection mold would have delayed things a lot more than 3 months.

I have compared my Kessel Run Wave 2 to General Release stuff.  There is not as significant of a difference.  The paint jobs are better on the general W2 stuff, less of a heavy handed wash, cleaner overall.  You can easily pick out which A-Wing was from KR and which two are W2.  Slave-1 and the Falcon from KR have much heavier washes.  You can see some color details on Slave-1 from W2 that are obscured on the KR one.  The TIE:Ints are the exception, hard to tell which is which.  There is some variation anyways, so it's all minor.  The two from KR are impossible to differentiate from the three from W2.

#15 rowdyoctopus

rowdyoctopus

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Bought a core set from my local comic store last week.  X-Wing looks great.  The same week I bought a core set and one of each Wave 1 ship expansion from an online seller.  That stuff came today and both of my X-Wings look terrible compared to the first one I got.  I can't imagine how the same mold could get the guns in so tight in the wave 2 vs the wave 1 core sets.  Disappointing.  The TIE fighters and advanced also have poor overall washes compared to my wave 2 core set.  I was shocked at how big the difference was.

#16 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

defiately new moulds as the cockpit is wider and the detail on the wings and engines a lot better, probs why cant get hold of wave 1 stuff at mo, hope they re tool y wing because mine is naff.

c

#17 austncal

austncal

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

My problem with the X-wings is how they are glude to gether porly there simitry is all off both with the rockets and weapons. Any ideas on how to unglue them without stripping the paint.

#18 austncal

austncal

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

My problem with the X-wings is how they are glude to gether porly there simitry is all off both with the rockets and weapons. Any ideas on how to unglue them without stripping the paint.

#19 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

rowdyoctopus said:

Bought a core set from my local comic store last week.  X-Wing looks great.  The same week I bought a core set and one of each Wave 1 ship expansion from an online seller.  That stuff came today and both of my X-Wings look terrible compared to the first one I got.  I can't imagine how the same mold could get the guns in so tight in the wave 2 vs the wave 1 core sets.  Disappointing.  The TIE fighters and advanced also have poor overall washes compared to my wave 2 core set.  I was shocked at how big the difference was.

I only read about this 'retooling' after I got my core set, and now I'm very glad I tracked down somewhere local to go in and buy it rather than getting it online. Looking at the paint job in the first post in this thread, I would have been quite disappointed at the quality, whereas I'm very happy with the detail on my X-Wing and TIE Fighters. Was going to get a TIE Advanced and a Y-Wing online, but after reading this I think I'll wait for new stock to be available locally, might just pick up an A-Wing and TIE Interceptor for now.

#20 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

mrgoodtrips said:

defiately new moulds as the cockpit is wider and the detail on the wings and engines a lot better, probs why cant get hold of wave 1 stuff at mo, hope they re tool y wing because mine is naff.

Nope, not retooled after all.  Just much much better painting.  I have the two physically in my hand.  The new one has crisper cockpit and engine painting.  What you are seing is a very effective camoflage painting in the early one which obscures it's actual shape and size!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS