Scenario: Empire Strikes Back - Millennium Falcon flees into the asteroid field

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'd like to get some feedback on a new scenario I put together.  Here are the details.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Millennium Falcon in Asteroid Field:
This scenario was designed to mimic/recreate the scene from The Empire Strikes Back where the Falcon was fleeing Hoth, could not jump to lightspeed and took the chase into an asteroid field.

Setup:
The playing area should be around 2 to 2.5 feet wide and run 10 range sticks long(range 30 from start to finish).  Asteroids are then placed, alternating from player to player with Imperials going first.  Asteroids cannot be placed within range 2 of the edges of the play area nor within range 1 of each other.  Asteroids should be dispersed until the play area is full.
Once asteroids are deployed, the Falcon is deployed facing the into the long edge of the play area.  The Falcon may not leave the asteroid field(as in move within range 2 of the edges of the playing area) until it reaches the far side.
The Falcon will move twice before the Imperials deploy.  The Imperials will deploy their 3 TIEs within the same starting space as the Falcon and will begin pursuit.

Armament:
Han Solo in YT-1300 - Elusiveness, Concussion Missiles, Chewbacca, Guner, Engine Upgrade, Millennium Falcon
vs.
Howlrunner - No Upgrades
Mauler Mithel - No Upgrades
Winged Gundark - No Upgrades

Movement:
Standard ability movement has been adjusted in this scenario to represent a pilot's ability to manage asteroids.  As such, ability will not affect movement in the asteroid field.  All players adjust their movement dials first.  Then the Falcon will be the first to move.  Once the Falcon as moved, all asteroids within range 3 of any ship will move(see Asteroid Movement).  Last, all TIEs will move.  For this scenario, all TIEs will be considered at the same ability level and can be moved in any order.

Reinforcements:
If the Imperial player has less than 3 TIEs before the start of Movement/Activation, he will place 1 Academy Pilot within range 1 of either edge of playing area.  This placement must be no further along than the the furthest TIE on the field.  It also must not be placed further than the back edge of the Falcon's base.  The new TIE must also face directly into the asteroid fieldand cannot fire any weapons until it has fully entered the asteroid field(must not be within range 2 of the edges of gameplay.

Asteroid Movement:
Move each asteroid separately.  Only move asteroids within range 3 of ships within the asteroid field.  Asteroids that move out of the playing area are considered destroyed.  Roll a 1d6 to determine the direction the asteroid will move.  Multiply the result of the die roll by 2.  The asteroid will move 1 step in the direction of a clockface, where 12:00 points to the edge of gameplay that the Falcon is escaping to.
For example:  If you roll a 2, the asteroid will move to the right slightly down in the direction of 4:00 on a clockface.

Collisions:
Collisions occur normally within the game.  If an asteroid hits a ship or a ship hits an asteroid, it counts as a standard collision in game.
Asteroids cannot overlap other asteroids.  If an asteroid hits another asteroid then it acts the same as two ships with overlapping bases: move it back along the movement path until they are against each other but not overlapping.

Winning:
The Falcon and crew escape if they fly off the end of the table at the far side of gameplay.
The Imperials win if they can destroy the Falcon before it escapes.

Don't forget that Han always shoots first!

Notes:
This is best played with "The Asteroid Field" from The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack playing in the backgroud.
Gameplay may need to be adjusted to provide a balanced chance to win.  I'll do some tests when I can to see how the scenario plays.  The length of the field can be adjusted longer or shorter if it is determined that it is too easy or too hard to escape.

#2 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

You need to be more specific if you want to create a scenario.

What's the size of the "board"? 2 or 2,5 feet wide? How many asteroids are needed, precisely (and, in this case, since I assume it's more than the regular 6 from the Core set, you could precise which models are needed in what quantities, etc.).

#3 DingusFett

DingusFett

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Sounds fun, will need to give it a go once I have enough ships to do so :P

#4 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

OK, I've had a chance to run through it once to see how it looks.  At 2-2.5 feet wide, its a bit hard to maneuver, so there's definitely a few adjustements that will help things out.

1 - Dimensions of gameplay:  I double checked and the range meter is exactly 1 foot wide, so the board dimensions should be 3 feet by 10 feet.

2 - The sides should be range 1 of the edges instead of range 2.

3 - The Falcon with boost is basically impossible to catch, so 2 changes should be made to adjust for this.  First, the Falcon loses boost.  Second, the Imperials start 1 round after the Falcon instead of 2.

4 - Damage - especially from asteriods, seems very trivial overall.  You'd do better to head straight in and not worry about hitting anything.  As such, I suggest making asteroids do mandatory damage plus a single damage roll.  This makes it much more important to manage your maneuvers.

I'll post again with a fully adjusted rule set in a few minutes once I've finished checking it over.

Any additional thoughts would be fantastic!

#5 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

This scenario was designed to mimic/recreate the scene from The Empire Strikes Back where the Falcon was fleeing Hoth, could not jump to lightspeed and took the chase into an asteroid field.

Requirements:
1 Millenium Falcon Expansion
3 TIE fighters(core set, plus 1 TIE Expansion)

Playing Area:
The playing area should be 3 feet wide and 10 feet long.

Setup:
First, asteroids are placed, alternating from player to player with Imperials going first.  Asteroids cannot be placed within range 1 of the short edges of the play are, nor within range 2 of the long edges.  Additionally, asteroids cannot be placed within range 1 of each other.  Asteroids should be dispersed until the play area is full.
Once asteroids are deployed, the Falcon is deployed facing into the long edge of the play area.  The Falcon may not leave the asteroid field(as in move within range 2 of the edges of the playing area) until it reaches the far side.
The Falcon will move once before the Imperials deploy.  The Imperials will deploy their 3 TIEs within the same starting space as the Falcon and will begin pursuit.

Hopefully, this basic outline should help identify how to set up the playing area:

__ __________10 Feet____________
|  |____________1____________|  |
| 2|                         |2 |3
|  |                         |  |
| S|       Asteroids         |F |F
| T|                         |I |E
| A|        ------>          |N |E
| R|                         |I |T
| T|_________________________|S |
|__|____________1____________|H_|

Armament:
Han Solo in YT-1300 - Elusiveness, Concussion Missiles, Chewbacca, Guner, and Millennium Falcon
vs.
Howlrunner - No Upgrades

Movement:
Standard ability movement has been adjusted in this scenario to represent a pilot's ability to manage asteroids.  As such, ability will not affect movement in the asteroid field.  All players adjust their movement dials first.  Then the Falcon will be the first to move.  Once the Falcon as moved, all asteroids within range 3 of any ship will move(see Asteroid Movement).  Last, all TIEs will move.  For this scenario, all TIEs will be considered at the same ability level and can be moved in any order.

Reinforcements:
If the Imperial player has less than 3 TIEs before the start of Movement/Activation, he will place 1 Academy Pilot within range 1 of either edge of playing area.  This placement must be no further along than the the furthest TIE on the field.  It also must not be placed further than the back edge of the Falcon's base.  The new TIE must also face directly into the asteroid fieldand cannot fire any weapons until it has fully entered the asteroid field(must not be within range 2 of the edges of gameplay.

Asteroid Movement:
Move each asteroid separately.  Only move asteroids within range 3 of ships within the asteroid field.  Asteroids that move out of the playing area are considered destroyed.  Roll a 1d6 to determine the direction the asteroid will move.  Multiply the result of the die roll by 2.  The asteroid will move 1 step in the direction of a clockface, where 12:00 points to the edge of gameplay that the Falcon is escaping to.
For example:  If you roll a 2, the asteroid will move to the right slightly down in the direction of 4:00 on a clockface.

Collisions:
Collisions are adjusted to provide a greater impact to flying through obstacles.  If an asteroid hits a ship or a ship hits an asteroid, it counts as a standard collision in game with the addition of 1 damage.
Example:  The Falcon flies through an asteroid.  He immediatly suffers 1 damage and rolls an attack die to see if he gets any further damage.  He gets a * and as such suffers 1 additional damage.  Since he flew through an obstacle, he also does not get to use an actions this round.  (He suffers 2 total damage and cannot use any actions)
Asteroids cannot overlap other asteroids.  If an asteroid hits another asteroid then it acts the same as two ships with overlapping bases: move it back along the movement path until they are against each other but not overlapping.

Winning:
The Falcon and crew escape if they fly off the end of the table at the far side of gameplay.

Notes:
This is best played with "The Asteroid Field" from The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack playing in the backgroud.
Please respond with any suggestions or comments.  I'll try to run it with the adjusted rules again sometime soon and I'll post the results.  If anyone decides they want to try it, feel free, and please post your results and suggestions so I can make any adjustments to help the balance of the scenario.

#6 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Requirements:
1 Millenium Falcon Expansion
3 TIE fighters(core set, plus 1 TIE Expansion)

Playing Area:
The playing area should be 3 feet wide and 10 feet long.

Setup:
First, asteroids are placed, alternating from player to player with Imperials going first.  Asteroids cannot be placed within range 1 of the short edges of the play are, nor within range 2 of the long edges.  Additionally, asteroids cannot be placed within range 1 of each other.  Asteroids should be dispersed until the play area is full.
Once asteroids are deployed, the Falcon is deployed facing into the long edge of the play area.  The Falcon may not leave the asteroid field(as in move within range 2 of the edges of the playing area) until it reaches the far side.
The Falcon will move once before the Imperials deploy.  The Imperials will deploy their 3 TIEs within the same starting space as the Falcon and will begin pursuit.

Hopefully, this basic outline should help identify how to set up the playing area:

____________10 Feet____________
|    |____________1____________|      |
| 2 |                                                          |2    |3
|    |                                                           |     |
| S|                       Asteroids                   |F   |F
| T|                                                            |I    |E
| A|                           ------>                      |N   |E
| R|                                                           |I    |T
| T |_________________________|S   |
|__|____________1____________|H_|

Armament:
Han Solo in YT-1300 - Elusiveness, Concussion Missiles, Chewbacca, Guner, and Millennium Falcon
vs.
Howlrunner - No Upgrades

Movement:

Reinforcements:

Asteroid Movement:

Collisions:
Collisions are adjusted to provide a greater impact to flying through obstacles.  If an asteroid hits a ship or a ship hits an asteroid, it counts as a standard collision in game with the addition of 1 damage.
Example:  The Falcon flies through an asteroid.  He immediatly suffers 1 damage and rolls an attack die to see if he gets any further damage.  He gets a * and as such suffers 1 additional damage.  Since he flew through an obstacle, he also does not get to use an actions this round.  (He suffers 2 total damage and cannot use any actions)

Winning:

Notes:
My apologies.  I didn't check the preview on the text outline of the gameplay area, so I've quickly adjusted it on this version.

#7 Rowdy

Rowdy

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Sounds like fun. Iam however no expert on asteroids but I dont think they move independantly rather than in the same direction, particularly as a belt or field of objects. Perhaps leave out the asteroid movement to simplify and replicate a more realistic battlespace. 

#8 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

I agree, each asteroid movement should be rolled individually, also…by multiplying by 2, no asteroid can move in the 1:00 direction (just an observation).

~Ron

#9 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far!

In response to Rowdy, I had the asteroids move independantly since that is what they did in the movie and the scenario was meant to replicate that experience.  I'm certinaly no asteroid expert, but it was meant to give that element of unexpectedness, so you couldn't just glide through it easily dodging all the asteroids.  It does make it a bit more complicated, but when dealing with 4 total ships at any point in time (1 Rebel, 3 Imperial), the asteroids don't take particularly long move around each round.

For Jetsetter, I agree with you on the direction issues with a 6-sided die.  I was attempting to keep things simplified for testing and for those people who don't readily have the alternative of a 12-sided die.  I found that by rolling a 2d6, you can't get 1:00 either, and by simply doubling the numbers on a 1d6 roll, you could get pretty close, even if you weren't as precise as a 1d12 would be.  If you've got one and want to try the scenario, it would be a great addition!

I also forgot to mention in the setup portion how many asteriods were needed.  Unfortunately, due to the nature of setup, that's hard to determine.  "Many" would be the best answer in this case.  Since you are restricted during setup from putting them within range 1 of each other(4" for those that prefer a ruler), you can always spread them out further.  Since you alternate on placement, Imperials first, the Rebels would want it to be further apart, and the Imperials would prefer them closer so that the Falcon doesn't have as much maneuverability.  The default core set only comes with 6 asteroids, so in my haste to test the scenario, I simply took some junkmail and tore it into similar sized strips of paper to fill in the gaps.  If you want, you're also welcome to add some much larger asteroids as well, but if you make them too big, it'll hinder your ability to play, so I suggest keeping them close to the level they are now.

Any more feedback is greatly appreciated!  If any of y'all get a chance to try it, let me know how it went!

#10 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Sounds like fun. I foresee asteroid movement being a bit of a hassle, but I ought to try it before I pass judgement.

I would drop "Mauler Mithel" and include "Night Beast" because MM was part of Black Squadron, not Obsidian Squadron. In the same vein, to keep the theme, I'd suggest replacing the lost TIEs with Obsidian Squadron Pilots. Not that it makes a difference because of your special rules on pilot skill.

Which brings me to my next point. Why is it so important that the Falcon move first? I understand that visually it creates more of a chase feel to it. But having the TIEs move first can make the Millennium Falcon's escape feel more desperate. If you left Pilot Skill as it is in standard rules, the Millennium Falcon could react to the TIE fighters' movements by executing its Boost action to attempt to get out of enemy firing arcs.

Yes, I think the Falcon needs the Engine Upgrade. Since it's a chase scene, I would drop the Concussion Missiles for the Engine Upgrade because the Millennium Falcon is probably not going to turn around to lock onto it's pursuers. I know you said Boost makes it impossible for the TIEs to catch up, but it just feels wrong to leave it out. I acknowledge I haven't tried it, and that it will probably unbalance things. I'd try to find a way to keep it in there, though.

Question: when you played, how often did the Millennium Falcon shoot at the TIEs? It seems like there would be a lot of landing on asteroids and losing shots for such a big ship.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#11 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

Good questions Parakitor.  Here's the logic behind the setup - and I'm certainly open to trying it other ways:

With the Falcon flying first, I found he was less likely to get hit by asteroids.  Granted, everything has a bit of an element of chance to it, and the Falcon did end up on an asteroid once; however, with boost, it quickly became apparently that I could easily stay so far ahead of the TIEs that shooting wasn't necessary or really even an option.

The TIEs; however, only had 1 option the entire fight, fly forward as fast as they could to try to catch the Falcon.  They really had no room to get past obstacles, etc.  As an example, the one set of shots fired came from the Falcon to Mauler Mithel followed by Mauler's return fire.  In this case, both series of shots missed; however, on the next manuever, the Falcon had room to boost afterward.  Even with the TIEs continuing forward at full speed(template 5 forward) they were all out of range to fire.  If the Falcon chose to be completely wreckless, he could easily boost through the field and escape without the TIEs ever getting close enough to fire.

Sadly, losing boost drops a bit of the proper feel for flying the Falcon; however, with it there would be no way to balance the gameplay(other than to include TIE Interceptors instead of TIE Fighters, which again, changes the immersion in the other direction and overpowers the Empire on firepower).

I'm certainly open to swapping the initiative aspect for movement.  If anything that would simply mean to have the TIEs all move first, then move the asteroids, and follow it up with the Falcon's movement.  I found it a bit easier, though to manage the Falcon's movement through the asteroids by having him move first.  By since you can move a decent distance at range 3/4 with the Falcon, if you can find a proper hole in the asteroids(which I didn't find to be terribly hard, although with them moving, chance dictates that it won't always be easy) I could move through freely and out of range for the asteroids to even hit me.  Asteriods further ahead were still an issue, but pathing was incredibly easy, which gives the Falcon that edge it should have in the asteroids.  With the TIEs going last, they had a much harder time dodging asteroids.  Judging open space with the TIEs, before I realized that only range 5 manuevers mattered anyway, I actually flew into asteroids 4 times, while the Falcon actually only got hit once in that timeframe.  Being a larger ship, you would think the Falcon would be incredibly hard to navigate, but by going first, it gave you better options to head through tight spaces and make it to more open areas that are much safer.

As for the missiles, I had originally not included them on the basis you stated actually.  I figured if you were stupid enough to turn the Falcon around just to use missiles for a kill, you weren't gonna have a good time anyway.  That said, a friend of mine actually pointed out that missiles would help deter TIEs from getting ahead of the Falcon in any way.  While this is a chase, and its not likely that the TIEs should be in the lead, if the TIEs can't stay in range to shoot, then its really just a matter of getting the Falcon through with as few asteroid hits as possible.  Since point totals don't really matter in a scenario anyway, I figured I'd just toss the missiles on.  Concussion missiles were the Falcon's standard armament anyway, so it seemed fitting.

I would cetainly agree from an immersion standpoint to changing the ship compliment to drop Mauler Mithel in favor of Night Beast, and running Obsidian Squadron pilots for replacements.  That said, the reason I put Mauler Mithel in instead of Night Beast was for for balance.  The Falcon is actually pretty hard to take down with 5 shields and 8 hull.  Mauler Mithel has the advantage of rolling an additional die at range 1, which would encourage you to get really close to the Falcon.  That said, Night Beast has the advantage of getting a free action when executing green maneuvers, which could keep him on the field longer before having to be replaced, and that's a good exchange.  Those are pretty easy to swap out, so I'll update my list on the next revision to include Night Beast and Obsidian Squadron instead of Mauler Mithel and Academy pilots.  Thanks!

If anything I posted doesn't make sense, or seems off-key for whatever reason, let me know and please keep the feedback coming! 

#12 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Why restrict the asteroid placement to range 2 of the long edge if the Falcon can't maneuver within range 2 of the long edge. Basically by doing this you are making the board not 3 feet wide but 20 inches wide (3 feet minus 16 inches, as I think range 2 is 8 inches). I would remove the restriction on asteroid placement near the long edge and only keep them range 1 from each other and range 2 from the starting edge.

Also, concerning collision damage, how about this.

Normally collisions only do damage on a regular hit, not a critical hit on the die, and shields absorb collision damage before hull.  Instead you could…

1. Collision damage bypasses shields and damages hull directly.  Also, add the critical hit on the die roll as well.  Noraml hits do normal damage, and critical hits do critical damage.

2. Collision damage bypasses shields and damages hull directly.  Also, only a regular hit on the die does damage, but it does critical damage instead or normal damage.

By bypassing shields and potentially (or always) causing critical damage, no Falcon pilot would try to run straight through the field.  The critical damage would apply to the TIEs as well.

#13 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Actually, Ismar, you have it right.  My revised version may be a bit confusiing, buf if you look at the diagram I put in, the starting and ending edges are range 2 open spaces - to represent entering and exiting the asteriod field.  The side edges are only range 1.  So it should be 10 feet across minus 16"(8" for each edge) and 3 feet wide minus 8"(4" for each edge).  That space is left open so that there is a place for reinforments to enter the game unobstructed.  That should leave an asteroid field that is 2'4" wide and 8'8" long, which is hopefully long enough to make the gameplay worthwhile for both Rebels and Imperials.

The problem comes from my forgetfullness.  In my update, I forgot to change the documentation further in when I changed the initial setup, so that is a big mistake.  It should read that the Falcon cannot exit the asteroid field on the sides which restricts it from going within range 1 of the short edges, and when TIEs enter, they must enter within that range 1 open edge area.  I'll make an update in the next revision that should be a little more clear.  My apologies.

#14 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Thanks.  I also editted my post with a suggestion on collision damage.

Finally, a thought on force construction.

Instead of limitiing to specific ships and upgrades only, how about also suggesting max points for the Falcon and Imperials, to try different builds.  What if Vadar decided the prize was worth the risk and decided to chase the Falcon itself?  What if the Slave I decided to join the fight instead of hiding in wait and following?

I plan on trying the scenario out this Thursday with our gaming group.

Thanks,

#15 caedjar4

caedjar4

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

That's a great suggestion Ismar.  I'd actually considered it to help manage distance and importance of manging your path between asteroids, but I haven't had a chance to test the balance of the game with direct hull damage from collisions.  While it doesn't affect TIEs, it does help force the Falcon to work really hard not to hit asteroids.  I'll see if I can get a play test in to see how much damage really affects the Falcon in the long run.

Please be sure to follow up if/when you have a chance to test it out!

#16 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I took the liberty of modifying your scenario for how I'd like to run it with my gaming buddies tomorrow.  Copied below for reference.  We don't have a large enough table, so I knocked it down to 8 feet.  I also incorporated my suggested collision rules and some other minor changes and wording clarifications.

This scenario was designed to mimic/recreate the scene from The Empire Strikes Back where the Falcon was fleeing Hoth, could not jump to lightspeed, and took the chase into an asteroid field.

Requirements:
1 Millennium Falcon Expansion
3 TIE fighters (core set, plus 1 TIE Expansion)

Playing Area:
The playing area should be 3 feet wide and 8 feet long.

Setup:
First, asteroids are placed, alternating from player to player with Imperials going first.  Asteroids cannot be placed within range 2 of either short edge of the play area, nor within range 1 of the long edges or each other.  Asteroids should be dispersed until the play area is full.
Once asteroids are deployed, the Falcon is deployed within Range 1 of a short edge.  The Falcon may only leave the asteroid field by exiting the opposite short edge of the board.
The Falcon will move once before the Imperials deploy.  The Imperials will deploy their 3 TIEs from the same starting edge (within Range 1) as the Falcon and will begin pursuit.

____________8 Feet_____________
|    |____________1____________|    |
| 2 |                                                       |2   |3
|    |                                     ^               |     |
| S |                  Asteroids     |                |F    |F
| T |                                      |                |I    |E
| A |                   <------>       |                |N   |E
| R |                                                       |I    |T
| T |_________________________|    |S   |
|__|____________1____________|__|H   |

Armament:
Rebels (65 pts max):
Han Solo in YT-1300
 - Upgrade cards: Millennium Falcon Title card; Chewbacca; Elusiveness

Imperials (65 pts max)
Howlrunner - Squad Leader
Mauler Mithel - Expert Handling

Movement:
Standard ability movement has been adjusted in this scenario to represent a pilot's ability to manage asteroids.  As such, ability will not affect movement in the asteroid field.  All players adjust their movement dials first.  Then the Falcon will be the first to move.  Once the Falcon has moved, all asteroids within range 3 of any ship will move (see Asteroid Movement below).  Last, all TIEs will move.  For this scenario, all TIEs will be considered at the same ability level and can be moved in any order.

Reinforcements:
If the Imperial player has less than 3 TIEs before the start of Movement/Activation, he will place 1 Black Squadron Pilot (no upgrades) within range 1 of either long edge of playing area.  This placement must be no further along than the the furthest TIE on the field.  It also must not be placed further than the back edge of the Falcon's base.  The new TIE must also face directly into the asteroid field and cannot fire any weapons until it has fully entered the asteroid field (must not be within Range 1 of the long edge).

Asteroid Movement:
Move each asteroid separately.  Only move asteroids within range 2 of ships within the asteroid field.  Asteroids that move out of the playing area are considered destroyed.  Asteroids will move 1 straight in a random direction.  Whatever method you choose to use for asteroid movement, be consistent throughout the scenario.

Collisions:
Collisions are adjusted to provide a greater impact to flying through obstacles.  If an asteroid hits a ship or a ship hits an asteroid, use the following collision rules.
1. Roll a red attack die, ignoring blanks and eyes
2. If a regular hit is rolled, give the ship 1 face-down damage card, ignoring shields
3. If a critical hit is rolled, give the ship 1 face-up damage card, ignoring shields.  Apply the results of the face-up card like a normal critical hit
4. Han can choose to use Elusiveness to re-roll the asteroid attack die, but must accept the reroll as final.  He cannot use this ability if he already has a stress token.
5. A potential collision is rolled for each asteroid that a ship moves through or that moves into the ship.

Winning:
The Falcon and crew escape if they fly off the opposite edge of the table from the start edge.
The Imperials win if they destroy the Falcon before it escapes.

I'll reply back with how the game went.  Thanks for the great scenario idea.

#17 Rowdy

Rowdy

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

caedjar4 said:

Thanks for the feedback so far!

In response to Rowdy, I had the asteroids move independantly since that is what they did in the movie and the scenario was meant to replicate that experience.  

Understood, however if you are going to replicate the experience  then it is a forgone conclusion that the ties are destroyed and the Falcon escapes. Since thats what happened in the movie.  Looking forward to trying this scenario if and when my Falcon arrives.

#18 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ismar said:

Normally collisions only do damage on a regular hit, not a critical hit on the die, and shields absorb collision damage before hull.  Instead you could…

Actually, Ismar, if you roll a [critical] result on the die when you hit an asteroid, you take a face-up damage card (unless of course you have shields). It's already in the rulebook, page 20.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS