• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Overlord

The Overlord

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hey all,

We bought descent on a whim, saw it on a friend's Facebook and thought it looked cool. We have been learning as we go and have arrived at a point we need some questions answered.

During encounter 1 of Death on the Wing, I had an etten two spaces away from Leoric of the Book. Am i able to throw him? If so, I use the space that he was in and move him three spaces from there, correct? Also, am I able to throw him twice since it causes damage? I say yes because it does not say attack, but the group disagrees.

Close to the end of the encounter, I have the white etten on the entrance, blocking the hero's escape. If they roll awareness to move past a boulder, do they move off the map from the exit's point? I say no, because you can't go off the map. Also, they were sure that once they moved onto the exit, the character was taken off the map because they moved off to the next encounter. Is that right? I thought they had to stay on the exit til all 4 were on it… I was trying to throw one off of the exit to keep the etten on it.

The action arrow, does that mean they exhaust the card? We all played MTG and are used to arrows being a "tap" symbol. I am now thinking that it just means take an action.

If a hero is in the middle of his first action that is declared as a move action and I play web trap (he fails the test), does immobilized stay on him until the end of this turn or next?

Thanks so much for taking time to check out my questions. We love the game so far, and just want to get the rules correct so we can play a fair game.

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

The Overlord said:

During encounter 1 of Death on the Wing, I had an etten two spaces away from Leoric of the Book. Am i able to throw him?

No.  The Throw ability says the target hero must be adjacent to the Ettin.  The fact that the Ettin also has Reach does not remove this limitation.

The Overlord said:

If so, I use the space that he was in and move him three spaces from there, correct?

That would be correct, if you could do it.  As above, you can't, though.

The Overlord said:

Also, am I able to throw him twice since it causes damage? I say yes because it does not say attack, but the group disagrees.

You are correct.  An ability is not an attack unless it says it is an attack.  The fact that Throw causes damage does not make it an attack.  Therefore the ettin could throw the same hero twice (if he landed adjacent after the first throw), or he could throw two different heroes in one turn.

The Overlord said:

Close to the end of the encounter, I have the white etten on the entrance, blocking the hero's escape. If they roll awareness to move past a boulder, do they move off the map from the exit's point? I say no, because you can't go off the map. Also, they were sure that once they moved onto the exit, the character was taken off the map because they moved off to the next encounter. Is that right? I thought they had to stay on the exit til all 4 were on it… I was trying to throw one off of the exit to keep the etten on it.

I don't have the quest guide in front of me so I can't properly answer this one, but generally speaking in quests where figures are allowed to leave the map, they must go to the designated exit point and spend one more MP to go off the map.  I don't remember any limitation on waiting for everyone to be on the exit before a single hero could leave, although once he's goen he can't come back (probably.)

A lot of the details concerning this are defined by quest-specific rules, so I would say have everybody read the quest rules carefully before deciding.

The Overlord said:

The action arrow, does that mean they exhaust the card? We all played MTG and are used to arrows being a "tap" symbol. I am now thinking that it just means take an action.

The arrow just means it costs an action.  It does not exhaust the card unless the text of the ability also says "exhaust the card."

The Overlord said:

If a hero is in the middle of his first action that is declared as a move action and I play web trap (he fails the test), does immobilized stay on him until the end of this turn or next?

The Immobilize card says that it is discarded "at the end of your turn."  "Your" referring to the affected figure.  The condition will go away when this turn ends, after he has taken his second action.  It's worth noting, however, that the Move action in progress immediately ends when the Immobilize condition is applied, per the FAQ, so the card play was not a total waste for the OL.

#3 The Overlord

The Overlord

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply! We will take a closer look at the quest rules for that encounter. That clears it all up for us!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS