Photo

IOS app I wrote to go with my friends' custom game board.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aphextheory

aphextheory

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

So I wrote this app in a few hours. The hardest part was getting good copies of the various sound effects I wanted to incorporate. In the end, all of them are awesome, with a single exception. I couldn't get a long enough sound of Slave 1 firing it's primary weapons to satisfy me. I included the only one I could find, and it's about 1.5 seconds.

Features: 8 sound effects 2 theme songs

The effects are as follows: X-wing firing. - TIE Fighter firing.
Millenium Falcon firing. - Slave 1 firing.
"I'm hit!" followed by small explosion - Impact/explosion on large ship Proton Torpedo firing. - Slave 1 seismic charge detonating.
Main Star Wars Theme Song - Pause Button - Imperial March Theme Song

You can start either of the theme songs and they will continue to play even if you start using the various effects.
I wrote this to coincide with my friends custom game board. He's built a 3'x3' board with LED's to simulate stars and is wiring 4 speakers into it which will link to a volume control and 3.5mm audio input jack. I'll post pics of it once it's complete.

This app is NOT available on the app store. If I ever am able to publish it, I'll update.

I'll post a video of it in operation if anyone is interested.

#2 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I made a similar smallish app for android. Does sound FX and background music.

There's something complicated about memory rentention of objects such as .mp3 or .ogg music where you can lose control of the memory it occupies and when that happens, the stop button no longer works. I'm still scrambling to find how you deal with this in android development.

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#3 aphextheory

aphextheory

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Nice!

That's the first I've heard about memory retention issues with android. But I haven't done any serious development in it either. Where did you source your sound files?

#4 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Wow, this will be nice in my next game, thanks, greetings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#5 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

aphextheory said:

Nice!

That's the first I've heard about memory retention issues with android. But I haven't done any serious development in it either. Where did you source your sound files?

Music comes directly extracted from the movies. All sound fx come from the online star wars soundboard that you can find in the first results from a google search. I used audacity to edit the clips to keep them as short as possible.

If anyone wants to try my app (send me a PM), just be aware that it still has the bug I described, that it's 11 megs and I will obviously not publish it on Google Play, I don't want to make a cent off some intellectual property that isn't mine. You'll have to copy over the .apk install package and "run it" from a file manager such as ES File Manager (you can find it in Google Play).

#6 tromac

tromac

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

aphextheory I would love to be able to get this on iPad. I was looking and looking but there is only a crap sound board available.

#7 R2Dork

R2Dork

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Mu0n, I'd love to give your android app a try, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to send you a PM on this board. :)

#8 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

Here's the link:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#9 aphextheory

aphextheory

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

It runs on the Ipad as well. The buttons and such are optimized for the retina display on the iPhone 4s, so it looks very pixellated, but still works. Unfortunately, it's not open source like Android, so it's pretty difficult to give anyone a copy. To install it on a device you need a special security cert. as well as a provisioning profile (and it would violate the apple TOS). I just posted it to give people inspiration. 

#10 wikkid_devil

wikkid_devil

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

This rocks! Any chance of adding the overture and Falcon effects?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS