The Crazy 8's

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Here's a fun list that I've been toying with.  I still don't think it's right yet, but It's a lot of fun to play.  I like that all the Pilots skills are 8.  It's also fun to play all the different Rebel fighters.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Luke Skywalker
X-Wing (28)
Upgrades:

• Push The Limit (3)
  • R2 Astromech (1)

Pilot: Horton Salm
Y-Wing (25)
Upgrades:

• Proton Torpedoes (4)
  • Ion Cannon Turret (5)
  • R5 Astromech (1)

Pilot: Tycho Celchu
A-Wing (26)
Upgrades:

• Push The Limit (3)
  • Concussion Missiles (4)

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

I like that it's a balanced list, in terms of offense vs. defense. The secondaries provide a decent alpha strike, and after that you have decent (if not great) guns all the way round--and it should also be a relatively difficult list to kill off.

The question marks in my mind are:

1) Whether Tycho's pilot ability and higher pilot skill will end up being worth the 7-point difference between him and a GSP. This doesn't pertain to just your list, obviously, and if I were going to run him I'd start with exactly what you're doing with him here.

2) Whether Horton's a hard enough target to run with the rest of this list. If I were playing against you, that's where I'd start concentrating my fire, with the hope of taking that ion cannon off the board early. Some back-of-the-envelope math says he's probably okay unless you end up facing a Heavy Laser Cannon or an Interceptor-heavy list.

#3 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

I like that it's a balanced list, in terms of offense vs. defense. The secondaries provide a decent alpha strike, and after that you have decent (if not great) guns all the way round--and it should also be a relatively difficult list to kill off.

The question marks in my mind are:

1) Whether Tycho's pilot ability and higher pilot skill will end up being worth the 7-point difference between him and a GSP. This doesn't pertain to just your list, obviously, and if I were going to run him I'd start with exactly what you're doing with him here.

2) Whether Horton's a hard enough target to run with the rest of this list. If I were playing against you, that's where I'd start concentrating my fire, with the hope of taking that ion cannon off the board early. Some back-of-the-envelope math says he's probably okay unless you end up facing a Heavy Laser Cannon or an Interceptor-heavy list.

I think a Y-wing is enough of a sponge to take that beating.  While it may have lower Agility, Shields and Hull and the only way to keep from being destroyed by a lucky shot.  So he'll go down, but you'll get the alpha, and at least two (maybe 3 with the high pilot skill)  rounds of Ion from him.  I think that will be enough to set you up for sucesess. 

#4 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think a Y-Wing will see a lot more utility out of an R2 rather than an R5. The Y-Wing has a pretty limited selection of green maneuvers, so the R2 opens up a lot more possibilities. You can then focus on staying out of as many firing arcs as possible, since you can always shoot back with the Ion Turret.

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm thinking, why Push the Limit on Luke? Is it that imperative that you focus AND Target Lock every round? Or at least enough to make it worth fielding PtL? I mean I suppose that helps him offensively, but being limited to only 2 actions, do you need to take both? I could see PtL on an Xwing if you have R2F2 or something. Maybe you do, I don't know. It just seems a little out of place to me, like there might be something better you could do with the points. I do like the squad idea, though. :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#6 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

hothie said:

I'm thinking, why Push the Limit on Luke? Is it that imperative that you focus AND Target Lock every round? Or at least enough to make it worth fielding PtL? I mean I suppose that helps him offensively, but being limited to only 2 actions, do you need to take both? I could see PtL on an Xwing if you have R2F2 or something. Maybe you do, I don't know. It just seems a little out of place to me, like there might be something better you could do with the points. I do like the squad idea, though. :)

Your right I'm not sure PTL is worth it on luke unless I add engine upgrade, or R2-F2.  Not sure it's the right ability for him.  So if I take off PTL and the R2-Astromech from Luke, I have 4 pts to play with.  Here's my Idea's for that.

1. Give Horton another PT.  ( not sure I like this, but I'll put it on the list )
  2. Switch PTL to elusiveness and keep the R2-Astromech
  3. Swap PTL to Stealth for Luke

I'm open to other suggestions.

Scottie I like your Idea to switch Hortons R5 to an R2.

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm totally in favor of option #2. Put Elusiveness on Luke and keep the R2 Astromech for getting rid of those stress tokens. Then you can put R5-K6 on Horton, to maybe help with his target locks. Or, you can put an R2 Astromech on Horton and upgrade Tycho's Missiles to Homing missiles. Either way, I like it. :)

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#8 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

elusiveness works great on luke, i'd throw the extra point at a homing missile.

I worry about hitpoints in this build, but man do I love Horton.

#9 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

hothie said:

I'm totally in favor of option #2. Put Elusiveness on Luke and keep the R2 Astromech for getting rid of those stress tokens. Then you can put R5-K6 on Horton, to maybe help with his target locks. Or, you can put an R2 Astromech on Horton and upgrade Tycho's Missiles to Homing missiles. Either way, I like it. :)

Horton doesn't have to much use for TL.

#10 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

mrfroggies said:

hothie said:

Your right I'm not sure PTL is worth it on luke unless I add engine upgrade, or R2-F2.  Not sure it's the right ability for him.  So if I take off PTL and the R2-Astromech from Luke, I have 4 pts to play with.  Here's my Idea's for that.

1. Give Horton another PT.  ( not sure I like this, but I'll put it on the list )
  2. Switch PTL to elusiveness and keep the R2-Astromech
  3. Swap PTL to Stealth for Luke

I'm open to other suggestions.

Scottie I like your Idea to switch Hortons R5 to an R2.

I would actually vote for sticking with PtL on Luke. It's an entirely offensive upgrade on him, but that's okay--it's the best 3-point offensive upgrade in the game. It also balances his offense out nicely with his defense. 

To put it another way, it would be a good combo on a hypothetical generic X-wing with an elite talent upgrade. The only downside is that you do generally want to use Focus and Target Lock together of offense, which means most of the time your defense remains at a fairly puny 2 Agility. Luke buffs the offensive part of the combo with high PS, and then wipes out most of the downside. 

#11 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm going to give this updated list a try next game night and I'll see how it does.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Luke Skywalker
X-Wing (28)
Upgrades:

• Elusiveness (2)
  • R2 Astromech (1)

Pilot: Horton Salm
Y-Wing (25)
Upgrades:

• Proton Torpedoes (4)
  • Ion Cannon Turret (5)
  • R2 Astromech (1)

Pilot: Tycho Celchu
A-Wing (26)
Upgrades:

• Push The Limit (3)
  • Homing Missles (5)

#12 chris cook

chris cook

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Man I would love to see this squad in action.  I am still under the old rule that you need 4 ships in a Reb build to work well and 5 or more in a Empire build.  I just got my new ships and have not tested any of the new upgrades on old ships.

#13 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

played the frog with this list. i had kassis hlc, howlrunner with stealth and 3 academies. he caught me really good on some bad meuvering. this list kills just about any unprotected ship in a round.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS