Backstabber vs. Falcon, Slave I

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Anyone have a solid read on when Backstabber would get the out-of-arc bonus against the big ships?

The Falcon has only one firing arc, and the turret allows it to attack anything either in or out of its firing arc.  So I think that as long as Backstabber's out of the forward firing arc, you'd get the extra die.

The Firespray is a little trickier…  The rules insert describes it's option to fire to the rear as being an auxillary firing arc - hence, still a firing arc.  So Backstabber would need to be out of both firing arcs in order to get the bonus.

Does that seem right?

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Correct on both accounts.

If you read the Falcon insert, it specifically states "a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc", so it still utilizes the firing arc, but it can target a ship outside of that arc. Hence Backstabber's ability is dependent upon how that arc is facing in relation to himself. And the Slave 1 does have front and rear firing arcs, so Backstabber needs to be outside of both of those in order to use his ability. And strategy-wise, that's where you want to be anyway. ;-)

#3 Dr. Z

Dr. Z

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think we are missing something here, the Falcon has a 360 degree primary firing arc and a secondary front arc for missles.  Backstabber won't be sneaking up on the Falcon ever.  The read on Slave I is correct though, you can get Backstabbers bonus only from the sides. 

#4 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Dr. Z said:

I think we are missing something here, the Falcon has a 360 degree primary firing arc and a secondary front arc for missles.  Backstabber won't be sneaking up on the Falcon ever.  The read on Slave I is correct though, you can get Backstabbers bonus only from the sides. 

You are totally incorrect about the Falcon. The rules sheet for the ship states:

"Each ship in this pack uses a turret as its primary weapon. Thus, each Ship card shows the Turret Primary Weapon icon, and each ship token shows a circular red arrow as a reminder.

When attacking with a Turret Primary Weapon, a ship may target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc. When attacking with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target a ship inside its firing arc {unless specified on the Upgrade card}."

The turret on the Falcon does not create new definitions of firing arcs and Bacstabber gets his ability as normal vs the Falcon.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#5 Dr. Z

Dr. Z

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yep, my bad.  I went back and read the rule sheet completely.  I made the assumption the 360 was the firing arc.  It is not.  Hothie and Emrico are correct. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS