Valkyrie Assault Carrier

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 YoritomoKatsage

YoritomoKatsage

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

So, the search function on these forums seems to be an auto-fail so i will ask what is probably a relatively common question. Are there printed stats for the Valkyrie assault carriers the Imperial guard use as aerial transports/fire support? i could've sworn they were printed in one of the other 40k lines, but i can't find it at all now. Is it hidden somewhere, or should i await the next book and hope?

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

As far as I know there are no printed materials on Valkryies. I am not certain if the next major book release, Hammer of the Emperor will contain stats either (it appears to focus on advanced regiment creation and character options).

The demo module, Eleventh Hour, contains a Valkyrie that is used narratively, but has no solid stats.

#3 Armour

Armour

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Presumably we will get a full set of rules for air/space combat at that time, too.  The base rules in Only War don't really cater for them yet, though one of the Rogue Trader books dealt with them.

#4 Nightcloak

Nightcloak

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

Indeed "Into the Storm" has aerial combat rules and sample aircraft in chapter 5
but there is no valkyrie but than again you have lots of common craft like the aquila and the lighter and fury so making up stats useing those for comparison should not be to hard
let us know if it turns out if you decide to use it, cheers

#5 Hingie

Hingie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

I for one use the Skimmer rules for Valkyries in my group. They use them as aerial support elements, similar to modern day attack or transport helicopters and in those functions a Valkyrie or Vulture (at least in my opinion) work more like a skimmer than an aircraft. As for the stats I looked at the vehicle Stats of aircraft in Rogue Trader and modified them.

#6 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

It will be a good day when my group's Drop Infantry get valkyries.

My Storm Trooper is going to love using the side-door Heavy Bolters.

#7 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Blood Pact said:

It will be a good day when my group's Drop Infantry get valkyries.

My Storm Trooper is going to love using the side-door Heavy Bolters.

I had an adventure with a Valk in in once and I can say that our Storm Trooper loved using the those exact guns.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#8 ranoncles

ranoncles

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Citadel of skulls provides stats for a Valkyrie Sky Talon, the heavy lift variant.

Type: flyer

tactical speed: 20m/10AU

cruising speed: 1,100 kph

manoeuvrability: +10

structural integrity: 30

size: enormous

armour: front 30, side 30, rear 22

crew: pilot

carrying capacity: 1 or 2 vehicles, 14 tons weight

weapons: 1 chin mounted pilot operated heavy bolter, 2 hellstrike missiles.

NB: can act as a skimmer or flyer at pilot's discretion.

Hope this helps….

#9 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

ranoncles said:

Citadel of skulls provides stats for a Valkyrie Sky Talon, the heavy lift variant.

Type: flyer

tactical speed: 20m/10AU

cruising speed: 1,100 kph

manoeuvrability: +10

structural integrity: 30

size: enormous

armour: front 30, side 30, rear 22

crew: pilot

carrying capacity: 1 or 2 vehicles, 14 tons weight

weapons: 1 chin mounted pilot operated heavy bolter, 2 hellstrike missiles.

NB: can act as a skimmer or flyer at pilot's discretion.

Hope this helps….

So it would remain the same, except for weapons and carrying capacity…

Carrying Capacity: 10 men

Weapons: One chin-mounted pilot-operated Lascannon or Multi-laser, two door-mounted Heavy Bolters, 2 Hellstrike or Hellfury missiles.

The skimmer rule reflects the VTOL/hover capabilities, Add in Environmentally Sealed; Valkyries deploy from low orbit.

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#10 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

Plushy said:

Weapons: One chin-mounted pilot-operated Lascannon or Multi-laser, two door-mounted Heavy Bolters, 2 Hellstrike or Hellfury missiles.

Two things to fix: the Valkyre can carry 12 men and it has a hull mounted lascannon/multilaser. Also, the Hellfury missiles are only available to its Vendetta variant what starts with three twin-linked lascannons (one hull, two on wings) and replaces the two wing mounted TL lsacannons with the Hellfuries. 

Oh and the Valkyre has a crew of two: a pilot and a gunner. 

#11 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

AtoMaki said:

Plushy said:

Two things to fix: the Valkyre can carry 12 men and it has a hull mounted lascannon/multilaser. Also, the Hellfury missiles are only available to its Vendetta variant what starts with three twin-linked lascannons (one hull, two on wings) and replaces the two wing mounted TL lsacannons with the Hellfuries. 

Oh and the Valkyre has a crew of two: a pilot and a gunner. 

Whoops!

Are you sure about the multilaser/lascannon being hull-mounted and not nose-mounted? It certainly looks nose-mounted to me, and I belive the Cain books describe it as being such. I think you have everything else right, though.

#12 Armour

Armour

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Plushy said:

Whoops!

Are you sure about the multilaser/lascannon being hull-mounted and not nose-mounted? It certainly looks nose-mounted to me, and I belive the Cain books describe it as being such. I think you have everything else right, though.

Well, easy enough to rule such alterations as being a Lathe/Ryze/Mars/(insert forge world of choice)-pattern Mark (whatever).  Depends on what you want from it.  

#13 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Plushy said:

Whoops!

Yup! I own 6 Valkyre/Vendetta models, and they all have hull mounted multilasers/lascannons (they are next to the cockpit, not in the front of the plane). 

#14 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

i think it's only really a technicality as to where the guns are mounted - chin or nose mounted weapons are perfectly in line with the pilot/gunner so easier to use for sure, but hull mounted ones will be configured to have a convergence point for shots so that targetting reticules can still be used. And remember that this is 40k  - you may have a rapid fire laser cannon a foot to your right but youll still be using some primitive iron-sight to aim it due to the anachronism of the setting!

From a rules point of view it doesn't overly matter where it is mounted though.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#15 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Kasatka said:

i think it's only really a technicality as to where the guns are mounted - chin or nose mounted weapons are perfectly in line with the pilot/gunner so easier to use for sure, but hull mounted ones will be configured to have a convergence point for shots so that targetting reticules can still be used.

I dunno, but wit ha chin mounted guny, you can cover a ~180° firing arc. With the Valkyre's hull mounted gun, you can only fire straight forward (it has zero horizontal/vertical rotation capability). This sounds like a big thing for me :)!

#16 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Ah true i had forgotten about facing… as the rules arent out yet and we can't confirm if they will be the same or even similar to RT rules it may be possible that they are more abstract. I personally like the starship rules from the Saga Edition Star Wars roleplay where facing and distances are abstracted for the most part. Basically assume you always have correct line of sight and angles to a target.

All conjecture at this point so i apologise for my assumption in my previous post.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS