Photo

help with playing against a tie swarm build.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XWing32

XWing32

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Got worked against the following:

1 Tie Interceptor - Soontier Felt with swarm tactics

5 Tie Fighter Rookie Pilots

I had the following and got destroyed:

1 x - wing luke skylwaker -proton torps mod  r2d2

1 x - wedge  -swarm tactics

1 - rookie pilot  -some other droid i cant recall basically the rest of my points were used on upgrades

This was roughly what our two builds were and only managed to kill off 1 one of the tiefighters.

I thought about maybe throwing in a Y -wing with an ion cannon (horton) and then going with 3 x wing rookie pilots with another few mods here and there. I just don't trust to have the rest interceptors. Want a good balance but at the same time a decent number to combat squads like a massive tie figher/ interceptor combo.

#2 XWing32

XWing32

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

To clarify what I said, I meant A wings (for future build) not interceptors from my last few sentences.

#3 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

XWing32 said:

1 - rookie pilot  -some other droid i cant recall basically the rest of my points were used on upgrades

This was roughly what our two builds were and only managed to kill off 1 one of the tiefighters.

I thought about maybe throwing in a Y -wing with an ion cannon (horton) and then going with 3 x wing rookie pilots with another few mods here and there. I just don't trust to have the rest interceptors. Want a good balance but at the same time a decent number to combat squads like a massive tie figher/ interceptor combo.

This game is pretty balanced, so the squad build, while certainly important, is not as critical as the way you fly. Did your opponent group all his fighters together? Did you rush at him headlong so that you got three shots and they got six right back at you? That's a sure way to get roasted.

Did you concentrate fire on a single ship to take them out one at a time? Spreading damage across ships is not advised, because (usually) a damaged ship is just as dangerous as an undamaged one. Destroyed ships don't shoot back.

One piece of advice I will give is to equip Proton Torpedoes on Wedge instead of Luke because you onlyget one shot, and Wedge is more likely to hit with them because the opponent rolls one less agility die.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#4 XWing32

XWing32

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Parakitor said:

XWing32 said:

This game is pretty balanced, so the squad build, while certainly important, is not as critical as the way you fly. Did your opponent group all his fighters together? Did you rush at him headlong so that you got three shots and they got six right back at you? That's a sure way to get roasted.

Did you concentrate fire on a single ship to take them out one at a time? Spreading damage across ships is not advised, because (usually) a damaged ship is just as dangerous as an undamaged one. Destroyed ships don't shoot back.

One piece of advice I will give is to equip Proton Torpedoes on Wedge instead of Luke because you onlyget one shot, and Wedge is more likely to hit with them because the opponent rolls one less agility die.

TO your firstr paragraph, yes he grouped them together and yes i rushed dough! I literally did everything that you listed.. I am still fairly new to the game..live and learn i guess =). I like the idea of wedge and the proton torpedo mod.  

#5 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hey, don't worry about it. You'll get the hang of it. If somebody is grouping their fighters together, especially if they have Range 1 abilities, it sometimes helps to fly off through the asteroid field to draw them after you. It's much harder to keep formation with obstacles around, though some people can still pull it off quite easily. With any luck, you can split them up and pick off one ship at a time as the opportunity presents itself. Doesn't always work, but it's better than rushing right in.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#6 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

ive had success with 3 rookie pilots + wedge with swarm tactics. working in a y-wing into your build would also give u more versatility and let you hit tie-fighters from vurtually anywhere. im asssuming u only have wave1 ships? i dont rate protons myself. would rather put the points into an astromech for my x-wings :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#7 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

If you want to stick with X-wings you could dump most of your upgrades and try Luke wedge and to Rooks.  If you put swarm tactics on Luke and wedge now all your ships will shoot at an 8 or 9. Which means they shoot before those academy pilots.  You should be able to drop two ties before they get to shoot at you. 

#8 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

First of all, this is not a Swarm. A Swarm begins at 7 Ships to me.

Second, i have beaten better imperial 6-ship lists than this. Just Yesterday i beat a list called Vader's Flight school with Vader, Howlrunner both with Swarm tactics and 4 Academy Ties.

I used this list of 4 A-Wings:

Tycho Celchu

- Homing missile

-Push the Limit

3x Prototype Pilot with 2x Assault Missiles and 1x Homing Missiles.

I can tell you my list is a One-trick Pony, but it worked! We started on opposing edges, Second turn i had my A-Wings at range 3. The problem was i had no target locks except on my two Homing missiles. Since he had inittiative and i had to move first. But Celchu let loose on Vader and scored 4 damage and my other Missile did one damage to an Academy. The turn after i blocked his Swarm with an unexpected move. He Crashed every Academy he had into my A-Wing and each other. One of my Prototypes got a target lock and fired its assault missiles. I was lucky and did 2 damage, Vader got killed from the splash damage and 3 other academy ties took a damage. I then killed one of the two ties wirth 2 damage. From then on it was mopping up. I kept a constant Target lock on Howlrunner with my remaining Assault missile ship but kept to it should he go near the others to buff them i would fire. I list one shield on every A-Wing and won the Game.

There are some things i would improve though in my list. It was very difficult to get my missiles off since i always moved first…

Next time i would probably take 4 Green squadron Pilots with missiles and deadeye or veteran instincts. Tycho is superb with Swarm tactics but he really eats up some points.

The missiles are a real gamble. They are so powerful and if your dice rolls are good and your enemy does not make 3/3 dodges all the time you can reliably kill 2-3 ships with those missiles. The assault missiles prevent swarms from being used to their best effect too. Should you miss your missiles or just lose ships to higher initiative before being able to fire, you are gonna loose that's for sure…

#9 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

I usualy take an a wing against swarms, assault missiles fired early can put one damage on a few ships because alot of the characters in ties rely on them being in range 1.  try 2 a wings if you ggot the points.

c

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS