Jump to content



Photo

Soak and defence value of PC?


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andersb25

andersb25

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

I am wondering if I have understood the rules correct. For example we have a dwarf PC with Tougnhess 4, Shield with Soak 2 and Defence 3 and armour with soak 5.

Does this mean that he has always a soak value of 11 (4 thougness + 7 soak), even when he is not actively using the shield with the block action card? And will attacks against him always add 3 misfortune dice plus 1 additional misfortune die if he blocked?

We had the case that he was attacked by a lot of zombies but since the soak value of 11 was higher then the attack value of the zombies (10) he was immune to their attacks? How should you have handled that situation as a GM?



#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

andersb25 said:

I am wondering if I have understood the rules correct. For example we have a dwarf PC with Tougnhess 4, Shield with Soak 2 and Defence 3 and armour with soak 5.

Does this mean that he has always a soak value of 11 (4 thougness + 7 soak), even when he is not actively using the shield with the block action card? And will attacks against him always add 3 misfortune dice plus 1 additional misfortune die if he blocked?

Correct

andersb25 said:

We had the case that he was attacked by a lot of zombies but since the soak value of 11 was higher then the attack value of the zombies (10) he was immune to their attacks?

Wrong.

For each attack that is successful (at least one hammer remmaining after cancelling all challenges) you recieve 1 wound even if the damage output is lower than the soak.

 

andersb25 said:

How should you have handled that situation as a GM?

What do you mean? Can you be more precise?

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#3 andersb25

andersb25

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Allright thanks! When I know that is always a minimun of 1 wound my last question on how to handle it as a GM becomes unnessecary. The dwarf sould have had a few wounds from the zombies.

Can that minimum wound be a ciritical hit?



#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

andersb25 said:

 

Allright thanks! When I know that is always a minimun of 1 wound my last question on how to handle it as a GM becomes unnessecary. The dwarf sould have had a few wounds from the zombies.

Can that minimum wound be a ciritical hit?

 

 

You should cross check with the rules and the FAQ what I am going to say because I am not 100% sure.

In case you score critical wounds but your damage output is lower or equal to the target's soak value the critical wounds become normal wounds.

For example, your dwarf has soak of 11 and he is hit by a zombie. After resolving the action card, weapon etc the zombie gets the following result:

hits for 9 damage, +2 critical.

He will cause 3 normal wounds to the dwarf. The minimum 1 because he does not exceed the soak of the dwarf plus 2, one for each critical hit scored. Total, 3 normal wounds.

 

Cheers,

Yepes


The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE


#5 Kartigan

Kartigan

    Member

  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yepesnopes said:

 

andersb25 said:

 

Allright thanks! When I know that is always a minimun of 1 wound my last question on how to handle it as a GM becomes unnessecary. The dwarf sould have had a few wounds from the zombies.

Can that minimum wound be a ciritical hit?

 

 

You should cross check with the rules and the FAQ what I am going to say because I am not 100% sure.

In case you score critical wounds but your damage output is lower or equal to the target's soak value the critical wounds become normal wounds.

For example, your dwarf has soak of 11 and he is hit by a zombie. After resolving the action card, weapon etc the zombie gets the following result:

hits for 9 damage, +2 critical.

He will cause 3 normal wounds to the dwarf. The minimum 1 because he does not exceed the soak of the dwarf plus 2, one for each critical hit scored. Total, 3 normal wounds.

 

Cheers,

Yepes

 

 

That is close, but not quite technichally correct.  The dwarf would suffer 2 normal wounds.  The # of crits dealt become the new "minimum result" in this case 2.  Thus dealing 1 critical when failing to get through the target's soak does nothing (other than the normal 1 minimum wound).  Also note that in order to actually deal "real" critical wounds you have to penetrate the target's soak.

On  a side note that must be a magical shield of some sort?  2 soak and 3 Defences is amazing asustado.



#6 khaali

khaali

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Yep. p59:

If the difference is zero or a negative number, the attack still inflicts one normal wound – the minimum result for a successful attack. If one or more critical damage effects are triggered when the difference is zero or a negative number, then the attack inflicts a number of normal wounds equal to the total number of critical damage effects generated.
Even if an effect is triggered that would convert normal damage into critical damage, if the only wounds inflicted are due to the minimum wound result, the wounds are all normal wounds.



#7 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

    Member

  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I house ruled that the minimum wound can still be converted to a critical if the mechanic would otherwise allow. 
"Grim and Perilious" and all that.



#8 andersb25

andersb25

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Ok, I see. But I think I will go with the houserules that the first critical is always a normal wound when damage is not above soak but additional critics will be critics as normal.

Kartigan: My memory was a little of. The Dwarf has Thougness 4, Round Shield soak 1 and Gomril Armour (an item card) with soak 5. So a total of 10.

 



#9 andersb25

andersb25

    Member

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

The Gomril Armour has 3 defence as well, so that is still a very good armour! (maybe to good for a beginner PC)



#10 k7e9

k7e9

    Member

  • Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

andersb25 said:

The Gomril Armour has 3 defence as well, so that is still a very good armour! (maybe to good for a beginner PC)

Yes it is almost too good and as you do not have to pay for it you have a way better armour than any of the other PC's can have initially.

I houseruled that the Ironbreaker is an advanced career as well as swordmaster, waywatcher and wardancer. As these are all elite troops in the table top game it makes sense that they should at least be rank 2 careers.

It might be hard to change afterwards, but I had a player starting out as an ironbreaker and he thought it was way to overpowered and asked if he could just switch to soldier (and keep all stats, trainings etc) and go into ironbreaker in the future instead. I allowed it and he got a chainmail instead, it worked well.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS