Guardian Eagle vs Gondor Watch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

They have the same status (4 def 1 hp, 2 cost)

So why does the eagle have to be discarded after a defense move? 

#2 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hmm, that is the question for the designers indeed? Defender also has 1 attack but the Eagles is a sentinel. Synergies are better now for the Eagles but it is only a matter of time. I too do feel the Defender is a stronger play in a majority of cases, I think I even was the first one making that point here. Still, I now run both in a deck. The Guardian is great with Support of the Eagles, and that in turn with the Tactics Boromir, especially for siege.

#3 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Well, one reason was that the Winged Guardian was created long before the Defender. The other reason is that it fits the theme of the Eagles in that they come in, do their business, and then go out of play (it was basically designed as the counterpart to the attack-minded Vassal of the Windlord). Both of those Eagles help to feed the Eagles of the Misty Mountains ally, which needs Eagles leaving play to be effective. Finally, as the above post mentioned, Support of the Eagles combined with the Winged Guardian is a great play.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#4 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yep, it's all about synergies. Everyone who has played Into Ithilien with a Winged Guardian plus a couple of Support of the Eagles or in combination with Eagles of the Misty Mountains plus Horn of Gondor knows that it is superior to the Defender of Rammas (which is my favourite card from HoN nonetheless).

#5 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I posted a thread about this in the Strategy and Deck Building section a while back because I had the same question as you.  I thought that Defender of Rammas was way better than Winged Guardian, but there are some good points that people have pointed out in this thread:

http://www.fantasyfl...&efpag=0#736460

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#6 gatharion

gatharion

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Between Sentinel, Support of the Eagles, and Eagles of the Misty Mountains I still use Winged Guardian more often than Defender Of Rammas.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS