Reinforcement of dials, templates and ruler

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

I got the tip from a mate: If you want to keep the edges/rim of the dials, templates and range ruler from flaying or getting fuzzy then make a mixture of PVA glue and water (aprox. 2-3 parts glue to 1 part water) and then apply the solution with a small brush on the sides/edges of the items. You want to see a slight  or slow absorption but certainly no swelling of the cardboard. Any surplus can easily be wiped of and won't leave any traces. 

Apply once or twice (of course do not do the dials assembled but take them apart before gluing) and let the pieces dry in between/after applying the solution. You should then see and feel a smooth and hardened edge than will be much more resistant than before. I did all my dials after having done the clear plastic bookcover wrap and it worked fine but I would think it would be even better to do it in reverse order. Could also be done on the base inserts for sturdiness 

• SnowiestWhale likes this

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#2 KnightShift

KnightShift

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

That's a great tip!  I may do that this week with my templates/range ruler.  They already have the clear contact paper over them (after doing my dials I went full-tilt wacko and gave the same protection to everything, including the templates, tokens and even the jersey numbers :-)

FFG should really make durable dials and templates out of acrylic.  They don't have to be packed in the core set either, but sold separately.  There is MORE than a healthy demand (i.e. market) for them.

Just a writer trying to make my way in the universe.

Watch my sort-of award-winning fan film...

FORCERY: George Lucas used to make Star Wars for a living. Now, he's making it to stay alive.

#3 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I add to this, I really want the extra dial of acrylic, I buy at last two of each ship, greetings

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#4 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Acrylic dials would be great…..I would replace all of mine as mine are already showing wear and tear

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#5 RAGE1073

RAGE1073

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Maybe just hard plastic ones, that way you can't see thought them

#6 Jaravak

Jaravak

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

RAGE1073 said:

Maybe just hard plastic ones, that way you can't see thought them

They do make opaque acrylic. Here's an example of an acrylic manuver template.

#7 Lord_of_Itza

Lord_of_Itza

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Has anyone tried using a standard matte sealer for miniatures on the these items?  I was thinking about giving it a shot, but if anyone has done it before and save me from destroying a dial and template set, it would be much appreciated.  I am honestly suprised that a company such as Gale Force 9 has already not started to manufacture these items in plastic.  

#8 mrgoodtrips

mrgoodtrips

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

i have used matt varnish from my wargames paints, a thin coat seems to work ok.

c

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS