1E quests to 2E?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tozzi

Tozzi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Has anyone set about converting the quests from 1E?  I took a stab at it, but the map pieces limited an exact duplicate of first quest, not to mention monster limits.

--

Tozzi (like "pizza" but not as cheesy)

#2 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

I am hoping to remake the first quest from Well of Darkness. I know I won't be able to remake it exactly the same... but hope to get relatively close.

I am waiting for the new expansion to be added in - as I want to use those pieces! :)

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have created a set of conversion rules, posted on BGG, to allow playing 1E quests with 2E rules.  It still relies on the 1E components to build the maps, though, so perhaps not quite what you had in mind here.

• willmanx likes this

#4 Safyre

Safyre

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

I just recently jumped on the wagon for Descent and I like it so far. I really like the way the quests are objective based instead of just kill everything to win. Of course, getting the objectives done might involve a bit of killin'. If the 1st Ed quests and expansions were similar, I would be very interested in trying them out so a conversion of them would be a great addition to the game. I was wondering about the Conversion Kit but from what I've been able to discern, it only covers the heroes and monsters, not the quests or campaigns.

So saying, allowing all the pieces from the 1st Ed in the Quest Vault Toolkit would be a nice addition. I wouldn't be able to get the 1st Ed games and Expansions (way too expensive) but I could attempt proxies.

There is a section that tells you which Expansions and how many you would need to do a specific quest. The same could be used for detailing if 1st Ed pieces were used.

- Saf

Edited by Safyre, 31 October 2013 - 11:02 PM.

- Saf

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

If the 1st Ed quests and expansions were similar, I would be very interested in trying them out so a conversion of them would be a great addition to the game. I was wondering about the Conversion Kit but from what I've been able to discern, it only covers the heroes and monsters, not the quests or campaigns.

You are correct about the CK.  It provides 2E cards for all the 1E heroes and monsters, as well as familiar cards for the three heroes with built-in familiars.  Nothing else.  It doesn't even give you tokens for the familiars (it assumes you have those, along with the minis, from 1E.)

Regarding 1E quests, they are not similar to 2E quests.  1E quests revealed areas of the board slowly to the heroes as they explored.  (The whole map was set up, but monsters and other terrain "spawned" as the heroes opened doors, etc.)

For the heroes, the objective was almost always "kill the Big Bad."  Occasionally it was something like "rescue the princess" or "find the magic McGuffin," but accomplishing those goals invariably involved killing a Big Bad anyway.  For the Overlord, the objective was always "kill the heroes a lot."  The heroes had a "progress meter" of sorts in Conquest Tokens, and the OL won by depriving the heroes of all their CT before they killed the Big Bad.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun in its own way.  But it wasn't at all the objective-based system of 2E.  And there would really be no way to introduce better objectives without completely rewriting the quests.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS