Too expensive or am I just cheap?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 asylumspadez

asylumspadez

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Am I the only one thinking the expansions and chapter packs are far too expensive? 12 bucks for 20 new cards and 30 bucks for 60 (at least 12 or more cards in the expansion are already in the core set). If someone had told me that I'd have to put out at least another 100 to really enjoy the game then I probably wouldn't have bought it. But being a massive GoT fan has sort of screwed me this time. Dont get me wrong, It's an enjoyable game, but rather pricey. I am sort of at a cross-roads because I wanna add more cards for depth but the price of 2 chapter packs is nearly the same as the price of an expansion.

#2 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

If you view it as a board game to play at home, it's expensive if you want to branch out into the chapter packs.  If you view it as a living card game and want to keep inventing and reinventing new decks for innovative play, it's cheap (compared to ccgs).

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#3 snaggrriss

snaggrriss

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Any hobby is an investment. If you have enough for 2 hobbies, super. Most of us only 1. But with anything you calculate the costs before you start a project. Taking a trip, the weekly budget, starting a hobby. In Canada we love our hockey. It cost me $15 a game and $5 travelling costs for our car pool. that's 80 bucks a month. I don't have a cell phone. To me that's the hugest waste of one's money. Why do we need a cell phone? But millions of people fork over money every month to have a device that we've been convinced we can't live without. Then internet. I obviously have that. This is how i stay connected with friends and in organizing events and keeping up to date with this awesome game. Here where i live you can't eat out without a at least paying $10 for a fast food meal. So i bring my lunch to work. I like whiskey and beer. that could run me $100 a month as well. Cover charge and coat fee at club is $10-$15 at some places.

Now if you noticed, every example i just noted is something that has no long term value and is something that we don't really need. You fork over your money and then it's gone.  If i didn't have a budget i would be spending roughly $300 of stuff that at the end of the month i would not see, that i would not need. So, you have to ask yourself, How much money do i have? What do i really enjoy? What do i really want to spend my money on. I learned about AGoT 2 years back. Loved the game. The strategy, deckbuilding and the LCG format.  I have 2 kids and a limited budget. So, i love this game and want to play it competitively, something has to be sacrificed in the budget. $15 a month for an expansion with  60 great quality cards and amazing artwork was a steal to me compared to , not only CCG but anything i would choose to spend my money on. And any pack i buy is  an increasing archive of deck possibilities that i can continuously draw from. My deckbuilding gets richer with every pack i buy. The cards don't get out dated every 18 months like in Standard Magic play. And the card i need aren't jacked up while they're in cycle as well. Expansion packs are always $15. And they're mine to use all the time.  Are the cards expensive? NO. Are you cheap? Maybe. It all depends how much money you have to spend on non-essentials and How much you really love this game. If you want to play casually or competitively. Because this game is great with just 1 core set too.

#4 asylumspadez

asylumspadez

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

I tried to get into Magic once, bought a cheap starter deck to see how it is, It wasn't bad but the total amount I would have had to put into it was far too much to keep playing. Especially as you said, The cards to get out of date and require constant buying and rebuilding. The one thing I love about LCG is that the cards are never out of date. I could use the cards I buy for as long as I keep playing the game, A huge plus. I think what I'll do is keep an eye on the prices for the expansions and wait to get them cheap.

#5 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

You could try the FFG HBO AGoT Card Game instead; it is a standalone game for 2 players with no expansions.

#6 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Also, one thing worth noting is that you get a full playset of the new cards in the chapter packs. It's 20 unique cards, but 3 copies of each, so 60 total pieces of cardboard. Based on your initial post, I'm not sure if that part was obvious.

#7 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Coolstuffinc tends to have the best prices - $10 chapter packs, $20 deluxe expansions

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#8 Rehlow

Rehlow

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

You also don't have to buy everything, and don't have to buy it as soon as it comes out. If you are a casual player, rather than tournament, the pressure to buy is even less.

You might be able to save some money by splitting packs with a friend, but at some point you'll probably find a card you both want to play at the same time.

My personal take on the cost of this game is that I'd rather buy a chapter pack, then see a movie that just came out.

#9 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

asylumspadez said:

I tried to get into Magic once, bought a cheap starter deck to see how it is, It wasn't bad but the total amount I would have had to put into it was far too much to keep playing. Especially as you said, The cards to get out of date and require constant buying and rebuilding. The one thing I love about LCG is that the cards are never out of date. I could use the cards I buy for as long as I keep playing the game, A huge plus. I think what I'll do is keep an eye on the prices for the expansions and wait to get them cheap.

Just wanted to tack on a note here. Be sure to check out the restricted list if you ever are going to buy a single pack because there is a specific card you want. While the majority of cards will never lose their playability, certain cards have errata and restrictions at the official competitive level.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS